Notices

Some advice please,for the future......

Old 01-29-2006, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some advice please,for the future......

Hello, I have never posted in this forum, but need some advice. I have a long history of mental illness...since I was 14, I am 44 now. I am trying to get my life back...I am trying not to use drugs..I have not abused benzos for over two weeks now and I am detoxing and have about 25 days left. Like many people I have been on scads of differant meds over the years and nothing has worked....most meds have made me worse.After I get all the drugs out of my system I need to know where to start and what to do in getting my life back.One thing I'm happy for in withdrawing, is that my head is not being bombarded with awful thoughts....the sicker I am, the less I am bothered. Any support or wisdom will be appreciated.....Bye for now....Joe.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Joe... ;o)

I've never gone the prescription med route..

I use exercise...
suppliments that boost my seretonin levels...
I try to drink enough water so that my body doesn't struggle...
I try to get enough sleep...
I avoid situations that vex me to the best of my ability...

I attend 12 step meetings and the 12 steps are the road map for my life that keeps me between the hurting lines.

And I hang around here.. to get my thinking straight and keep it straight...

I have studied my disease... my addictions.. my mental issues...
I understand what's happening to me now and I can take steps to head myself off...

I am not powerless over helping me.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
lead keeper of the bees

Hi, Joe...I commend you first of all for kicking benzos; in order for anyone to offer any words of advice, however, it might be helpful to know what you have been diagnosed with. If you have had benzos prescribed to you by a doctor, there are certainly less complicated routes to take. If your mental health issues are extensive, it could be detrimental to go "cold turkey" with all medications (unless directed by a physician). I actually work with medications of all types, and it is part of my job to dispense everything from anti-psychotics to laxitives.

Whether or not you decide that medication is the route you want to take, I would suggest finding some Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous meetings in your area. Often, these can be used in combination with psychotherapy with some very good results.

Whatever route you choose, give yourself a break and remember that getting your life back will probably not happen over night. If you decide to attend twelve-step meetings, you will find people who can identify with the pain of addiction and help you with your own pain.

God luck, we will all be sending healing thoughts your way!
I hope to hear how it goes for you...
Old 01-31-2006, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

I don't have anything to add right now, but I just wanted you to know I'm listening and to tell you to look around this forum and through the archives and you will be able to start gathering an arsonal of things that can help you.

Hugs, good luck and God bless,
Jenna