Notices

Are all bipolars bad drivers???

Old 11-29-2005, 11:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Exclamation Are all bipolars bad drivers???

Just curious about this since all the ones I know are.

When manic, I'm thinking about everything except driving.
When severly depressed, my mind isn't thinking at all and I do all sorts of stupid and dangerous stuff. Sometimes it's like I'm in a trance. I just zone out.

My bipolar friend backed into a giant road block sign with her truck and had no clue until I told her later on. Then she ran over two curbs the next day when I was riding with her. Then she backed into my neighbors van, making a huge dent in the fender, and didn't know it. Then last month she was following me to my sister's house and she was driving half on the shoulder and half on the lane (with the white line going down the middle of her truck). It's so bad that another friend of hers bought her a prayer charm to hang from her rear-view mirrow that says something about begging God to watch over her as she drives and ALL THOSE IN HER PATH as well.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Seeing the road from the seat of a motorcycle, I see that ALL drivers can be zoned out from time to time. I also see that many don't pay attention to driving at all. I have found that I drive by instinct many times. Red means stop, Green means go, and Yellow means Go faster.
I have crossed an intersection when the light was green, but because my mind was not on driving, I had to look back in my mirror and be sure that the light was green, that I just went through. By instinct, I would go when green.
When on the bike, I need be fully paying attention at all times, or I may not make it home.

So I would say that manics or bipolar aren't any different then the rest of the world.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

But have you ever sat at a stop sign waiting for the light to turn green?

Or have you often stopped at a red light and then proceeded as if it were a stop sign?

Or have you ran red lights and stop signs all together?

These are things I've done about 10 times each in the last year of this major episode only.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Stress, mind on other things beside driving, bad habits, shopping list... What ever happens to be filling my mind...OTHER then driving.

Look at it this way...
You are aware of what you have done. By knowing, you can keep it in your thoughts and strive to pay attention when at the wheel. It is the person who doesn't have a clue that they have done anything wrong that can be a danger to themself.

My own goal or standard I guess you would say, for me riding the bike...
Stay off if I am on an emotional high or low.
Stay off if I am on a spiritual low.
Stay off if I am over tired from no sleep.
I am sober and wish to stay that way, so that is not a part of my stay off list, beacuse it won't happen.

Any of us, all of us, need to take driving serious and always strive to pay attention to what we are doing behind the wheel.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can't help but laugh at myself (and look to see if anyone saw me) when I stop at a stop sign and wait for it to turn green....i get so flustered about it.

Here's another stupid thing I did one day. I went to the bank put a check I was cashing in the air tube, pushed the button and drove away! I've also driven off from food places without getting my food, yet having paid for it already.

I guess it just seems like I have something frustrating happening everyday these days and I often get a lot of strange looks from cashiers who seem to be saying "are you totally stupid" when I grab the bag of items from the counter and take a few steps toward the door when I realize I still have "their" money in my hand b/c I haven't paid them yet. Well and there are many days with a whole list of these things happen one right after the next. My sister looks at me funny all the time b/c of this too. Just figured it was my bipolar disorder ....or maybe the ADD perhaps that makes me feel like I've got "mind-wandering-itis" more often than not.

Thanks for the replies....it's nice to have someone to talk to at 2 a.m.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Perhaps I just think my world is harder than everyone elses when in reality it's the same.