Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

Ever realize that when you support someone else that you're helping yourself too?

Notices

Ever realize that when you support someone else that you're helping yourself too?

Old 11-23-2005, 11:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Wink Ever realize that when you support someone else that you're helping yourself too?

I think it's the ol' two birds with one stone thing.

The best way to learn something is to teach it to someone else. Why? Because you have to really understand something in order to teach it (rather than just have it memorized) AND repetition helps it sink in! (The more I talk about setting boundries, the better at setting boundries I will become....)

I think that's why i've become a little addicted to SR and putting my 2-cents into other people's threads....because it re-inforces for me all the things i've learned and continue to learn in my recovery.

When I put myself in someone else's shoes and situation to try and help them, then I'm problem solving and even though I may not be up to par as far as following my own advice yet, it keeps that frame of mind fresh and i'm more likely to do the same in my own life.

Example...when I see someone being too hard or critical of themselves then by responding to them I am putting myself on the other side of where I am myself right now (which is putting myself down all the time). In telling them to be kind to themselves and that God doesn't make any junk and "progress not perfection"....then I automatically tell myself those same things! And I've actually noticed that I'm going easier on myself these days from doing just that. These are the kinds of reminders we all need.

Plus, in trying to problem solve for others it puts us into a "possiblity thinking" frame of mind where anything is possibly if you try hard enough. Every problem has a solution, we just have to find it. We can see things that other's can do to really make great changes in their lives and the same is true for us....happiness and serenity ARE possible!

And then there are the good feelings that come from reaching out to someone else who's lost, hurt or struggling. I think that's what being human is all about -- helping others and doing good works. It's one of the most satisfying things to be able to help make a difference in someone's life, even in the smallest of ways - even if only letting them know they aren't alone and they don't have to struggle alone.

So do yourself a favor and start reaching out to others more cus when your talking to them....your really talking to yourself! And I believe that's why this site works as good as it does....real change and growth occurs!

Food for thought.

Hugs,
Jenna