Notices

Alternative Therapies

Old 10-31-2005, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alternative Therapies

Hi,
I would really like to know of anybody else's experiences with alternative therapies for depression. Things other than meds and psychotherapy. (Not that those are bad!!)

I'm interested in acupuncture, meditation, herbal remedies, homeopathy, electo-acupuncture, aromatherapy, electro brain stimulation, magnetic stimulation (which has helped my back immensely!!) and anything else that might be considered an 'alternative' therapy.

I realize that going outside and running around with my dogs is 'alternative' therapy. Exercise is 'alternative' therapy. However, I'm looking for people with experiences in less mainstream therapies.

Thanks!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

I'm interested too...
Old 10-31-2005, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I am a person who has used alternative therapies for many years I also am an alternative health care provider.

I beat my addictions, depression, dyslexia, had my baby and all other health care concerns of mine have been addressed with alternative health care. My family doctor is a Naturopathic Dr. I haven't ever had a flu shot nor do I even get the flu. I haven't taken an antibiotic for over 30 years and I am very healthy....
Old 11-01-2005, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

More Explanation?

Hi...Thanks for the response...Could you give more details, please? You said your doc is a Naturopathic Doctor. Could you explain a little bit about what that means?

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2005, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Naturepaths treat illness with foods and herbs. Once my son had an earache and the doctor gave me a recipe for a soup that cleared it right up it was amazing...
Old 11-01-2005, 09:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

that is cool....i recently discovered the true power of Vit. C (kinda slow, i guess). With the on set of my first major depression 8 years ago i developed chronic sinus infections that weren't receptive to ANY anti-biotics (and i tried a lot) so i was suffering for 1-12 months each time. The my therapist told me to take 1000mg of Vit. C when i'm sick. So as soon as i feel anything coming on...i start my regimen and i haven't been that kind of sick in nearly a year now!!!!!!.

So splendra.....are naturepaths real doctors? Can you look them up in the phone book? Are they expensive?

Would you mind sharing how you got rid of your depression (other than excersize of course which i know)?

I really like the whole idea of herbs and natural things to cure ailments....there's something mystlical feeling to it...ya know?

Like for example....is there really something to aromatherapy? I love using insence, but if there's something really to the whole aromatherapy thing then i'll start buying those specific scents....lol....i'm really pretty dumb about all these kinds of things.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey, I'm always interested in learning new things. Much of my recovery plan involves some of many programs. I know for example eating healthy foods like fruit helps me. Might have something to do with the vit. C like shutterbug mentioned. Splendra, do you know of any web sites that would help provide information? Thanks again, this sounds very interesting.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Naturepaths are no more expencive than a regular doctor and yes you can look them up in the phone book some of them even take insurance...

The doctor I go to is a MD + ND and even practices in the local teaching hospital..

And yes ND's are concidered doctors...
Old 11-04-2005, 05:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had a major "mixed bipolar-type" episode (my first) last January. My shrink wanted me on various medicines-- for the long term. The side effects were not acceptable to me....I looked into alternatives...

I have had good results with homepathy. My practioner seemed to hit on a good remedy for me right away, and i have been drug free and doing well since then. I also take a few basic vitamin supplements.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would say Cognitive Behaviour Therapy - it is clinically proven to be effective for depression.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would agree with Five about CBT. It works! That and exercise - the two biggest non-drug remedies for depression, in my experience.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quercusalba
I would agree with Five about CBT. It works! That and exercise - the two biggest non-drug remedies for depression, in my experience.

My suggestion as well.

Simple things like proper nutrition and getting enough sleep go a long way in helping people.

-p
Old 11-04-2005, 07:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yeah about CBT....although none of the therapists i've been too actually practice this!

Mateo....would you mind sharing what all you take?

Excersice....definetly works for mild to moderate depression....but in my experience and i've even see a little literature also....with severe depression, if i can make myself do it that is, I am even more tired afterwards and down for the count for several days from expelling all of the tiny bit of energy i had reserved. Just my experinence.

Splendra....would you also share with us some of the remedies you use?
Old 11-08-2005, 05:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I take a basic multi-vitamin with iron, and a B-complex vitamin daily.

I was also taking a selenium supplement for a while (docs suggestion) to help my body deal with some exposure to heavy metals. (primarily lead paint poisoning).
Old 11-08-2005, 09:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Here is my soap box...feel free to read/skip, etc.

A big thing in the field today is labeling yourself "eclectic". It is almost like calling yourself that allows you to do pretty much what you want, without limiting yourself. It is important to understand what 'school' a prospective therapist believes in and uses. (Schools would be: CBT, Behaviorism, Analytical / Psychodynamic, Rogerian / Humanistic, etc) The majority of therapists will be CBT because of its ability to bring about more immediate change, and also because of insurance restrictions on session visits. It is NOT a one size fits all, even though some people try to make it so.

Personally I have a very Rogerian slant with some crossover into other areas for specific treatment requirements. For instance, CBT is great for managing certain symptoms of depression (negative thinking, etc), but it sometimes ignores deeper root causes of why you are the way you are. There can be some more non-traditional tie-ins...such as incorporating Eastern ideas into your daily life (meditation, life/nature balance, etc)

Do you know what can have the biggest effect on your therapy.....personal fit. Having a healthy connection with a therapist has shown to provide positive change, regardless of actual treatment. Certain schools of thought centralize around this belief (Rogerian for example ) If you fail to have a connection, therapy will most likely failure or be severely impaired.

-p
Old 11-08-2005, 07:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pedagogue
Do you know what can have the biggest effect on your therapy.....personal fit. Having a healthy connection with a therapist has shown to provide positive change, regardless of actual treatment. Certain schools of thought centralize around this belief (Rogerian for example ) If you fail to have a connection, therapy will most likely failure or be severely impaired.
I totally agree. I had a connection to my former therapist who taught me to use meditation, breathing, health, harmony and i just love her to death. I haven't seen her in about 6 months and she still writes me and calls on occasion to see how i'm doing or to invite me to a free group therapy session she's just started. I don't know what kind of school of thought she adheres to. I know i get a lot of help from her, but i thought CBT was the best type of treatment. My new (state funded) therapist is totally clueless and there's is NO connection and i feel i haven't gotten ANYthing out of all our sessions. It's really stressing me out.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sam-E

Has anyone ever heard of Sam-E? It is short for a really long chemical name I can't even pronounce. My therapist lent me a book to read on it. According to the book I read, it is the greates thin since sliced bread...no side effects...works within a few days. WoW!! I tried it, ans it is expensive, but I din;t find it all that effective. Since we are talking about natural remedies, I just want to make sure everyone is aware of the possible drug interation between St. John's Wort and birth control. I haven't read enough on this site to know if it has come up, but just smack me if it has
Old 11-24-2005, 02:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

here's another thread called "Alternative Therapies"
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ies-74980.html

Here's one called "some things to help you through depression"
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ion-76443.html

This one's called, "A link found between Omega 3 and depression relief"
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ief-77922.html

( I just like to group similar things together...LOL
Old 11-24-2005, 02:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)