Notices

Maybe it's not Depression

Old 11-08-2005, 05:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good for you Shutterbug--ask away.

IMO I think docs are often too quick too slap on a psych label without ruling out possible underlying medical conditions. They may not care for your questions, though, -- i have found they tend not to appreciate anything that rocks their boat so to speak...
Old 11-08-2005, 06:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Originally Posted by mateo
They may not care for your questions, though, -- i have found they tend not to appreciate anything that rocks their boat so to speak...
OMGosh...you are SO right! 98% of all my former general docs have been this way and my current pdoc is especially this way. I don't understand why though....no bodies right 100 % of the time and it's the patients time and money so why not listen and try?
Old 11-11-2005, 05:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Simple answer: I think they take it personally.

They've spent a lot of time (8+ years of education?) and money becoming medical professionals and i believe they start to think of themselves as having all the answers... even when there are many areas of science and medicine that still have large "unknown" areas. For example, we know more today than ever about how the human brain functions, yet there is still much we don't know. If you read the smaller print about many medications, you will often see statements to the effect of "although we are not exactly sure how Med X works for Disease Y, studies have shown it to be effective in treating the symptoms".

That, and the fact that they deal with dozens of mental patients everyday with more than their share of quirks who may or may not respond to meds the way they hope has got to be frustrating... There is often a high rate of burnout in many of the helping professions.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

(((shutterbug)))

The article that you posted about candida refers to the work done by William Crook who is the person who wrote the book "the yeast connection" the book will tell you how to and what to eat to rid yourself of candida. Dr. Crook believes that many people who suffer with candida have had long term courses of anti-biotics and also birthcontrol pills. Basically though the "candida diet" is about no sugar or carbs. It is not a diet that you can stay on for long periods of time. It will make you loose weight and it will also make you be able to tell what foods contribute to the condition of candida. The "bad foods" will make your tongue burn when you are cleaned out of candida and they might also make you congested...
Old 11-12-2005, 06:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks mateo and Splendra
Old 11-24-2005, 02:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just got this in an e-mail from NAMI and thought I'd add it here too:

This following article is brought to you by:
Life With Bipolar: Stories of Survival
Discover How Other Bipolar Disorder Sufferers Cope With
The Disorder And What You Need To Do In Order To Live A
Normal And productive life.

The Truth About Omega 3
by Dave McEvoy

Since Dr Basant Puri, a consultant psychiatrist and senior lecturer at London's Imperial College MRI unit, released his findings on Omega 3 and its effect on brain function and depression, many studies have been performed regarding the beneficial effects this fatty acid. Studies over the past two years have consistently confirmed that Omega 3, a substance lacking in today’s “diet” is a key component in the brain’s development and proper functioning.

The notion that Omega 3 was linked to depression and other mental illnesses came about based on studies conducted at Harvard University in 1999 on people with bipolar and a 1996 study by the Journal of the American Medical Association studying the prevalence of depression across ten countries. The Harvard study found that fish oil was an effective treatment for bipolar. The study conducted by the Journal of the American Medical Association was expanded upon in 1998 when it was discovered that depression was lower in countries that consumed higher levels of fish.

Omega 3 As Part Of A Healthy Diet

Omega 3 is a substance found most commonly in fatty fish such as fresh salmon, tuna, mackerel, pilchards and sardines. Over the last 100 years the western diet has shifted radically to include far less fish and thus the Omega 3 fatty acid. During the same time depression is estimated to have increased up to 100 fold.

To maintain ideal health, the average person should consume five grams daily of essential fatty acids (divided between Omega 3 and Omega 6). As this is not likely to change at any point in the near future some recommendations have been laid out for those who choose to take Omega 3 supplements. These recommendations will be listed further below in the section titled, “Omega 3 Supplements”.

Omega 3 And The Brain

While the benefits of Omega 3 fatty acids can be noticed on many levels, the biggest breakthroughs documented have occurred in improved mental functions and health. Omega 3 has been reported to be effective in the treatment of depression. Numerous studies have indicated that during double-blind tests, patients suffering from depression who take Omega 3 over a placebo report significant benefits.

Similar results have been reported in the treatment of bipolar and schizophrenia. There are theories that Omega 3 could be used to treat other mental conditions such as attention deficit disorder, borderline personality disorder, dyslexia and cognitive impairment however at the time of this writing these beliefs are unsubstantiated by anything more than preliminary data.

Omega 3 And The Body

The main reported benefits of Omega 3 for the body occur in the heart. The American Heart Association recommends eating fatty fish at least twice per week in order to reduce the likelihood of heart disease.

While research is still ongoing into the effects of these fatty acids on the heart, research to date has shown that they:

· decrease risk of arrhythmias, which can lead to sudden cardiac death

· decrease triglyceride levels

· decrease growth rate of atherosclerotic plaque

· lower blood pressure (slightly)

Additionally, Omega 3 has been reported effective as an anti-inflammatory. And according to an article by Judith Horstman for Arthritis Today, “There’s strong evidence that fish oil supplements with omega-3 fatty acids can ease rheumatoid arthritis (RA) symptoms, help prevent Raynaud’s syndrome spasms and possibly relieve some lupus symptoms.

There is some limited evidence that the reduction in Omega 3 in the average western diet can be a contributing factor to the rise in:

· asthma

· chronic fatigue syndrome

· cystic fibrosis

· osteoporosis

· prostate cancer

Omega 3 Supplements

Any good doctor or nutritionist will tell you that the best way to get any nutrient is to go right to the source and eat it through the foods they originate. In the case of Omega 3 this would most likely be in the form of fatty fish, flaxseed, walnuts, canola oil and soybean oil. That said, this is not always possible given the average westerner’s diet and lifestyle. Additionally, for those suffering from sever depression or using Omega 3 to combat an existing condition, the amount contained in the foods we eat may not provide enough of this fatty acid. If this is the case then it is important to know what you are looking for.

The supplement should be high in EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid). EPA, along with DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) are the two active ingredients in Omega 3. EPA is considered to be the therapeutic element. It is thus important to purchase a supplement higher in EPA than DHA.

Additional Notes

Due to the recent developments and study of Omega 3 and all of its potential health benefits, the majority of studies and information on it are preliminary and based on smaller test groups. Additional research is underway and should provide additional insight into how it works and exactly what its role is in the brain’s functioning and development.

Currently additional studies are ongoing into the roll of Omega 3 in brain and nerve regeneration, depression, heart disease, arthritis, cancer, neck and back pain, stress and an assortment of other mental and physical conditions.

Information on Omega 3 and its properties provided by Mind1st.co.uk. Mind1st in the sole distributor of PuraEPA with 90% pure EPA. Visit their website for more information on Omega 3 fish oil and how it works.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/
Old 11-26-2005, 07:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

Thanks for the post shutterbug, this is my first visit to this part of the Forum. I've been in AA for three years, and recently had 7 months clean time, then went out to coke use for my birthday annual depression.

I suffer many of the debilitating effects listed in your first post. I've gained like 60 pounds since quit drinking, was a miserable sober person, just tired all the time, overeat, oversleep, wake up tired, you name it.

I think I might have this apnea thing, I can hear myself breath and snore at night and sometimes wake up with sore throat. I'm getting a Dr. visit next week to look for this or other signs of depression that might need medication. Several AA'ers, therapists among them, have mentioned to me that my depression and lack of energy and motivation seems more than the normal amount for someone quitting drink and coke at the same time.

Thanks again for your post.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Rodie....have your general doc run a full physical workup to check your thyroids and blood sugar and all that stuff.

By what you said (and I'm not a doc, but), I'd say I'm about 99 percent positive you have sleep apnea. Most people who snore do. I do and until I did a sleep study, I had no clue that I stopped breathing like 40-60 times an hour and some times for 90 seconds or more (and I have difficulty holding my breath that long when I try).

My psychiatrist read my sleep study results and said that I'm typically only getting about 15 minutes of real sleep each night. I now have a CPAP machine I sleep with at night, but after more than a year I am still struggling to get use to using it. They now have simple 10-minute procedures that can be done in the doc's offices, but it cost around $2,500 (although some insurance companies will cover it). As soon as I can afford it, I'm gunna get it done. Sleep apnea affects so many things. My uncle recently had to have a pace maker put in to help his heart function b/c sleep apnea is super hard on your heart. And can kill you.

PLEASE don't take any major sleeping meds!!!!!!!! They can kill you in your sleep. I mean it!!! Ask your doc if you're sceptical about this. Mild sleeping meds are okay, but with sleep apnea, most prescription sleep meds are too powerful.

After you get a full work up from the general physican and if everything shows up normal. Then please go see a psychiatrist for your depression. I made the mistake of seeing a gen. doc for too many years (although, one of them was surprizingly smart enough to diagnose me as bipolar, but didn't bother to explain what that meant so I went unmedicated for a year or two and believe I suffered needlessly for too many years).

Also, excercise can help most people with depression b/c it releases mood-enhancing endorphines. Even walking 3 times a week for 30 minutes can help and even better if done outdoors in the sun --- in my lightly educated opinion only, of course.

Anyway.....glad to have in the MH corner of SR....hope you pop in whenever you can.