Notices

Battling depression on an ongoing daily basis

Old 10-10-2021, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Battling depression on an ongoing daily basis

Right now. Someone tell me it gets better please.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Well, I believe it does but there's not a time limit on how long it lasts and it requires a lot of work on our behalf, and possibly professional help. I've shared with you that when I got sober it required medication, recovery meetings, prayer, meditation, exercise, healthy eating, and keep repeating those things daily. 16 years later I still do most of those things and I've added outdoor activities, church, part-time jobs that I enjoy and bring me happiness, and most importantly I surround myself with sober friends and a family that lifts me up and supports me. Yes, it can get better.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mr

it can get better and it does get better. I am living proof. At the beginning of this year i fell into a very deep depression and now i'm ok.
You have to talk to you doc or psychiatrist and sometimes you need to find the right meds for you.
Sometimes you have to bite hard cause you may have to test several molecules before finding the one that works for you.
Dont give up help is often "around the corner"
Vinny
Old 10-10-2021, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thankyou for the reply Astro. I do have a therapist who does help when I can get her but she often cancels or postpones which I find very difficult to take. I’m on medication but if my recent slump doesn’t improve I may need to review it (maybe I need more anti depressants etc). I do goto AAonline every other day or as needed. I pray daily many times, excercise most days, and eat well. I goto church every other week or so too. Surrounding myself with positive people is tough for me as I have some social phobias which is what my therapist is helping me with when I can get her.

Have a nice day and thankyou for the response LH

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Well, I believe it does but there's not a time limit on how long it lasts and it requires a lot of work on our behalf, and possibly professional help. I've shared with you that when I got sober it required medication, recovery meetings, prayer, meditation, exercise, healthy eating, and keep repeating those things daily. 16 years later I still do most of those things and I've added outdoor activities, church, part-time jobs that I enjoy and bring me happiness, and most importantly I surround myself with sober friends and a family that lifts me up and supports me. Yes, it can get better.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the experience hope and strength Vinny. If my depression goes on the way it is now I’m considering asking my psychiatrist to increase the meds I’m on.

Many thanks LH
Old 10-10-2021, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe it does get better. A couple of things have to happen for me though before it did.

First of all I had to stop drinking - and give my mind and body enough time to heal from the decades of self abuse.

I needed to have a purpose every day. It needn't be a big purpose - sometimes just leaving the house was as much as I could do,
Exercise helps too - even 15 mins a day can make a difference.

I needed to eat right. A diet of junk food gave me junky results.
I'm not a crank but I try to mostly eat healthy and it does help my mental health.

I needed the right meds too.

Finally I had to accept my depression (and my anxiety) were a part of me. I have to learn to live with them.

All these things have led me right now to keep my depression and anxiety at the lowest levels ever since I was a kid.

It will get better LH

D

Old 10-11-2021, 05:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks D. I’m having a better day today
Old 10-11-2021, 05:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good

It took months for me to feel somewhat level. I spent time reading about ways to cope and I did what Dee says - healthy food is medicine. Exercise (preferably outdoors) balances my body and spirit. I prayed. I read. I listened to instrumental classical music on Pandora to distract my busy mind. I slept when I needed it. A routine is good, too. It's great that you are posting here and other places on this site. That was super helpful to me too.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Good

It took months for me to feel somewhat level. I spent time reading about ways to cope and I did what Dee says - healthy food is medicine. Exercise (preferably outdoors) balances my body and spirit. I prayed. I read. I listened to instrumental classical music on Pandora to distract my busy mind. I slept when I needed it. A routine is good, too. It's great that you are posting here and other places on this site. That was super helpful to me too.
thanks biminiblue I’m just so tired of challenging mental health. I do exercise but only via a brisk walk most days (an hour or more usually). Do you think more high intensity exercise like a pushbike ride would help?

I’m not going to pick up over challenging mental health but it irks me and it’s well challenging.

I don’t read or meditate (although I pray a whole lot) so maybe I could try reading a book again. Last time I tried to read was a fair while ago and I found it a bit of an effort.

I used to meditate well years ago but the last time I tried to meditate my brain was too busy.