Notices

My son has bipolar disorder

Old 10-18-2017, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My son has bipolar disorder

My son is 24 and residing at home. He has been struggling a great deal in all aspects of his life for some time now. Initially we chalked it up to substance abuse but then came to realize there was a much bigger underlying problem that he was self medicating.

He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and having difficulty with his medications. He starts and stops certain ones, seeks out street prescriptions for anxiety ..

Went with him to his dr yesterday because he was just a wreck and saying he felt suicdal. He changed his meds and so he started taking them again yesterday.

Today he is totally manic. It's hard on all of his, he is very erratic. I managed to talk to him calmly long enough that I felt like we were ok and I could go to bed.

I also have 2 children with autism and a child with adhd. I'm trying so hard to be there for them all. I'm trying so hard to help my son because he's sick, but it's so hard to live with.

Are there other parents out there that are going through this? Having a really hard time.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Mandy,

My Aunt is Bi Polar and her taking meds is key to keeping the peace.

As you seem to understand, the suicidal feeling are real. Glad you immediately went to a Dr.

My Dad pretty much "deals" with my Aunt. She works part time, making enough money for her favorite foods, but is basically dependent on the family.

Without help, she would end up homeless. She will end up living in my Grandmother's house forever. Money wise, she will always be dependent on the family.

Our family is like that.

I hope this info. helps you in some way. Maybe getting your head around your son may need dependent level help for ever may get everyone in the right mindset?

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, I really appreciate you sharing with me as this is all very new for us. I've made a call to start getting myself some mental health services to try and deal with everything as I'm feeling quite overwhelmed. Hopefully the wait list isn't too long. I'm struggling with my own issues, I used wine to cope with the extra stress and have been sober for 37 days now. It's been difficult dealing with everything on my plate and not having that liquid crutch. I haven't developed very good coping mechanisms so hopefully I can get help with that.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm a recovering alcoholic (26 years), dealing with depression that is largely under control. It is more common than not that alcoholics suffer from other mental illnesses like bipolar (I have two bipolar friends with long-term sobriety. I go to AA for my alcoholism and a psychiatrist for depression. I know it's very common that younger alcoholics stop taking their meds, it is so important. You sure have your hands full, a big hug.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Hi Mandy,

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. I have bipolar disorder, and I know how brutal the anxiety and depression can be. He is lucky to have a supportive family, and it's important for him to accept the help that's offered until he's stable enough to take care of himself. I am also a parent, and I can only imagine what you're dealing with. The proper meds will make a huge difference, but of course it takes a long time to get them right. Stay in close touch with his psychiatrist because it's really important for the doctor to know what's going on.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bipolar

Hi Mandy,
First let me say thank you. That you are there for your child even though he is an adult is amazing. I'm 30 and don't have that support. The substance abuse, at leastr me is do to my issues. They can actually do blood tests to determine how well someone will react to the medicine before giving it to them. But with any new medicine it takes time for it to build up in the system. So I till reactions can be bad. Or they can be good at first and side effects not manifest until later. For me I was on resperidone and fluoxetine. I reacted great for a week or so but ended up with increased nervous ticks, hair falling out, lack of emotions whatsoever and very lethargic. It takes time to find the right meds unfortunately. But it does get better. The other thing that helps is try to get him interested in something. Hobbies help. A group of friends that suffer mental health issues and myself are actually trying to start a group that would revolve around gaming. I have kids and I love working in the yard and on cars, but we treat our gaming sessions as sort of a group meeting. We discuss our day or what is setting us off. Of all the people I know these have been the best help. So help him find a hobby and just be there for him. He will thank you and remember it won't always be perfect but it will get betterr.

With great admiration
Saeulfr
Old 12-23-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR, Saeulfr.

I like the idea of gaming, that sounds fun and supportive. I have no lack of hobbies, my favorite one to enjoy with sober friends is motorcycling day trips.