Notices

ANXIETY- how do other's deal with this.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Exercise - the gym helps more then anything.

The gym always makes me feel better but I tested it , I purposely went to the gym right before a crowded AA meeting and I absolutely had less of that anxiety ick and I don't think it was a any kind of placebo effect where it only worked cause I thought it would.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I went to a psychiatrist 18 years ago and got help.

It still works just fine.

No more constant anxiety.

I still work the AA program, pray, read, exercise and try to do other healthy things, but anxiety, to me, is a medical issue, so I went to a physician.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Honestly, I am not doing too well handling my anxiety. Just starting an prescription to help. I am also trying some meditation app, as well as reading a book by Joyce Meyer about anxiety. I do counseling. I wish I could handle it better, but have had a big back slide last year, and of recent.

It's a day at a time.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Like many here have posted, exercise and being outside is my cure for anxiety. A brisk walk/run, 45 min daily is all I need. After 10 min or so, I'm in "the zone" and I feel like I can do anything. I also do strength training a few days as well.

Starting the day off by getting my blood moving sets me up for the entire day. I feel relaxed and energetic, I eat well (best meal is a protein shake after my workout) and I sleep better.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

All good.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The best I can do Phoenix is the slow walk in the outdoors, sit in the park with a thermos of tea and read the newspaper. A slow 60 minutes.

I used to get anxious because I wasn't doing the miraculous and running marathons, abseiling, etc., like I saw others doing, but now feel only able to walk in the outdoors taking it slow and observing nature in a mindful way. It's the best I can do at present. It's a start.

My love to you Phoenix.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sobersaurus

I have OCD., trichotillomania more specifically. I had grown out my hair for a year and was doing so well, and just in the last couple weeks I have pulled it all out and am very nearly bald! Feel so ashamed and overwhelmed with despair. Will take so long to grow back and that's if I can stop doing it anyway.
I have come to the chat here and some kind soul is listening to me ramble.
I've been sober 4 years, so very gratful that's not on my plate or an option for dealing right now
.:
Old 05-23-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

NN- do you see a counsellor? A support group? Anything with brain-crap sucks. Compassion, empathy and support to you..
Old 05-26-2017, 01:59 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Exercise is the only thing I see different from what you did and what I did. Running is an awesome stress relieving tool.

I haven't had regular panic attacks in a few years now. I have done running, yoga, weight lifting, and p90X. Running and Yoga are by far my favorites as far as stress relief goes.

But keep yourself balanced too. Sometimes when I put too much on my plate, often in the name of relieving stress, I end up creating more stress and anxiety.

I have to stay balanced but also not use staying balanced as an excuse to altogether stop doing things that I need to be doing in recovery to keep myself balanced and happy.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Good share sean. Thankyou
Old 06-01-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Reading is also a good antidote for worry from my perspective.

But for me, getting professional help many years ago has proved very successful in treating my anxiety issues.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I've had brutal anxiety since I was a kid. I self medicated big time! It was only when I went into rehab a couple years ago that I was finally diagnosed with GAD and got on Neurontin (gabapentin) and Atarax (hydroxyzine). The meds have helped tremendously, and I sincerely doubt I'd be able to maintain my sobriety without them. I live a much healthier life now that I'm not afraid of everything.