Notices

Let's get real: Robin Williams

Old 08-11-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Let's get real: Robin Williams

He was bipolar.

1/5 diagnosed bipolars will eventually commit suicide:

Bipolar Disorder Statistics | Statistic Brain

He was a creative character, a comedian, and a drug addict.

Creative individuals are at higher risk for depressive and neurotic spectrum disorders:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creati...mental_illness

I keep seeing people trip out and act as if this was out of the blue, or something that could/should not happen. People die. Every day. About 150,000 people die each day, and about 350,000 are born. About 200,000 are added each day!

Worldometers - real time world statistics

It's estimated over 100 BILLION people have been born, yet how many do our history books recall, and for how long do you think you'll be remembered after you leave?

How Many People Have Ever Lived on Earth?

So what's not to get here? Are you weeping for the loss of an individual you've never met, or are you weeping over the fact that even someone who seemed to have it all, made it to the top of the cultural charts in his respective art, and a guy that many respected, still was mortal... so that makes you realize you will be as well?

Maybe you relate because of his abuse on drugs, and come to an erroneous conclusion that you're doomed to a similar fate of relapsing, substituting, and/or suicide? That's just silly, people. Don't get stuck in a doom state. We all are going to die, and yet we're all ultimately responsible and in control of our actions, despite the lies we sell ourselves.

We say, "I'm sorry for YOUR loss" for a reason. We lost a cultural icon, a man with an awesome public persona, but nobody here seems to have spent much if any time with the man personally. We don't know his struggles, his demons, him much as an individual as he is. All we know is what he projected in the spotlight, and the gossip that's now circling the globe. Respect a dead man, leave him be. Move on.

Let me ask you this: Do you think someone who's gift to humanity was making people's faces light up through zany comedic acts, would want you to suffer for his sake? Would he want you to do anything except move on, or maybe to grow and be a better person from his death? Grow. Live you life, and learn from this, if possible.

We're all going to grieve for people who mean something to us differently, and ultimately I respect this, but it's also best we keep perspective and not let anything in this world rob us of our ability to live an awesome life.

My apologies to anyone I may have offended.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Some of us are just sad to see that such a talent, a person who made everyone laugh for so many years has died. Can we have a little time to grieve or be sad before we start picking him apart??
Old 08-11-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

By all means, everyone is free to process events that happen in this world as they please. Don't think I "picked him apart", I just hit on a few key points that I think are necessary to keep perspective.

Anyhoo, I bet you'll get a million thanks for that, and maybe I'll get one or two for my OP if am lucky. I don't plan on replying again. Just some food for thought. I was on the fence about writing this..

You all take care.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The numbers of those deaths from mental illness can be reduced with proper treatment.
or at least, from your view....postponed.

I find Mr Williams death to be tragic and untimely.

Robin Williams, Bipolar Sufferer, Dead at 63 Due to Suicide | World of Psychology
Old 08-11-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Robin W was one of us. When a fellow alcoholic/addict commits suicide it always hits home for me.
I never really liked his style of comedy btw...
Old 08-11-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pl3bscheese View Post
Anyhoo, I bet you'll get a million thanks for that, and maybe I'll get one or two for my OP if am lucky. I don't plan on replying again. Just some food for thought. I was on the fence about writing this..

You all take care.
If you are measuring your self-worth by how many thanks you get for a post, there might be some things you need to address?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
If you are measuring your self-worth by how many thanks you get for a post, there might be some things you need to address?
An assumption not evidenced in my writing, don't you think?

Let's stay on topic, please.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

An assumption not evidenced in my writing, don't you think?

Let's stay on topic, please.
I was.

You were referring to your OP and how many thanks you would or would not get for it and I commented on that.

Why post the OP if the only aim is to get or measure thanks for it?
Old 08-11-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
I was.

You were referring to your OP and how many thanks you would or would not get for it and I commented on that.

Why post the OP if the only aim is to get or measure thanks for it?
Seriously, your assumption is so extreme here. Really?

This is so far from the truth, and not in any way something that can be reasonably gleamed from anything I've said.

It hurts!

Let me get this straight... you read my OP, you read the 2nd post... you read my reply... and you make this incredibly illogical assumption that my ONLY AIM is to get or measure my thanks here?? That is so off the walls nonsensical!

I wouldn't dare try to make an assumption of where you got this from, but it's obvious this isn't about me as I am. If I had to make a guess, this is a baiting attempt, and a trolling tactic.

To make this clear, you DID NOT stay on topic, and all previous replies on both are ends are ENTIRELY besides the point of the OP.

Please address the OP, else I will report you for trolling.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Could we get back to your first set of statistics and how that can be helped?

That was positive information that we as a society can help improve for suffering individuals .
Old 08-11-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live View Post
Could we get back to your first set of statistics and how that can be helped?

That was positive information that we as a society can help improve for suffering individuals .
That is a better direction, and since this thread has drifted, and nobody else seems to be offering suggestions, I'll go ahead.

Diagnosis doesn't seem to be helping! Why are people so ill that they seek medical "professionals", and why is the outcome that 1/5 of these individuals end up taking their own life?

I had an interest in mental illness years ago. One of the things I stumbled on was an online book from the 1800's that told of great increases in "insanity" form the 1840's to the 1870's in Britain. Guess what else greatly increased during this time period? Industry. Britain was the number one producer of coal for a long time, and brought a lot of machinery online during this time period. It seems industrial pollutants were at hand with the rise of "insanity".

In the 21st century, tens of thousands of synthetic chemicals are put into the ecosystem, and subsequently are making their way into and up the food chain. The majority of these products are never safety tested for human consumption, and yet are being nonetheless. Surely this is part of the reason behind why everyone seems to have something or another?

From there, we can say that genetic susceptibilities are interacting with environmental stressors over time to create the conditions we face biologically. Some are more resiliant than others, and are subclinical in their issues. Many are not so fortunate, and get to the point where a label seems of benefit, and time taken to see a "professional" to try and order their psyches and make them "productive" members of society. Products are good for industry!

So we have people who are poisoned, maybe taking on more mildly toxic chemicals in an attempt to override the misfirings going on in the noggin, dull down the alarm bells the body has activated, and try to keep us good, "productive" people. Where to go from here?

I'd say it would be best to keep our stressors over time under a threshold where clinical manifestations of maladies are at play. We can attempt to clean up our environment, but I think the cat is out of the bag on that one. Meditation works wonders for some. Some decide to "self medicate", but as a community here we don't accept that as a valid option. Speaking of community, I think there's something to be said about feeling in tune with people in group settings. Some people really benefit from this, and feel it lacking in the modern age. Maybe developing a better sense of community could help.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Drats, I tried to update my last response but the system would not allow a further edit due to a (15 minute) time restriction :/

So I failed to mention that diet is key here. Our bodies could be said to carry a toxic load at all times, which it's trying to manage and eliminate based on available resources and current capabilities. We can ingest substances which put these systems into overdrive. They up-regulate the production of certain enzymes within our liver and kidneys. Look for herbs related to "detox" if you're interested here. If you think this is all pseudoscience, you really haven't done your research well enough :/

Another part would be to limit the intoxicants and incompatible food products for your genetics through dietary experimentation. Unfortunately at this point in time, we have limited information on how each of our unique genetic code relates to our biological functions being deficient, or with too much of certain substances needed for proper healthy function. The field of nutrigenomics will open up the ability to tailor our optimal dietary intake to our genetic needs, but this is not yet a reality in full. One can have their dna swabbed for under $100, and you can figure out a dozen or so markers that can be used to recommend nutraceuticals and particular diets that work well. It seems for most people the most practical approach is to simply stick to what seems best for their bodies right now. One problem with this approach is that we now know that what may seem best in the short run (due to perhaps a pathogenic hijacking of our bodies) may actually be what is aiding inflammation and causing an allergic reaction. So one needs a fairly high degree of self-awareness and discipline to go this route successfully.

The last part I'll mention is our 3 systems of elimination. The first two are well known, the liver and kidney, feces, and urine. These work well for natural substances, but are ineffective for the bulk of synthetically produced chemicals. Nature has a pattern for it's structure, but synthetic chemicals designed in a lab may significantly deviate form this structure. This means the shapes of the chemicals our bodies need to latch onto chemicals in our diet are not compatible with these significant deviations. They don't work for these tens of thousands of chemicals. Add to this the fact that many people are less active, physically, and therefore are sweating less, and we have bio-accumulation of synthetic chemicals. Generally in order from non-essential, towards more essential tissues as stores are filled throughout the body. We must activate the 3rd pathway to effectively deal with the synthetic chemicals. We must sweat it out. Our sweat glands and pores don't care what shape these chemicals are, just that they can be broken down small enough to get through the tract, and out the ending. So either by way of ramping up our exercise intensity, else using a sauna, it's best to sweat often, preferably daily.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

You elude to the fact that Robin Williams was just another human doing the human thing. Living, dying, and in between the dash of those two dates , struggled with his demons.

But he wasn't just another human being. He gave people the best if what this life has to offer, joy, laughter, sentiment, and most of all hope for those of us with the affliction of addiction. Twenty years sober isn't anything to scoff at. And the sheer amount of creativity he displayed in those years is mind boggling.

So yes, I ache for this loss because we alcoholics and addicts are part of a small fraternity, and therefore each loss is significant, but moreso because the world was a far better place because he was in it, sharing his gift.

You touch upon some fascinating points on how chemically our bodies are at literal warfare with the environment that pumps them out for profit.

A few years back, I was going mad as a hatter. I realized that just about when my anxiety and depression began, I was 17. Coincidentally, that was also when I was in college and began getting my first cavities that were filled with mercury fillings.

In the matter of two years, I had gotten 21 fillings. Almost every tooth in my head had been drilled and filled atleast twice. And I lost a lot of those along the way. So they were drilled and refilled too.

By the time I was 20 years old, I could hardly get out of bed. Coupled with the fact that I had started drinking to cope with my symptoms, stressed with trying to finish a degree with hourly panic attacks, I had to leave the school of my dreams, move back home and finish locally.

I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder and depression .

Alas, now I could be medicated. Another one bites the dust.

My mad hatter disease continued. As did my drinking to cope for decades to come. About 5 years ago I had all of the amalgam removed from my mouth. 8 hours in a single sitting . After that appt, I did something I hadn't done in years.

I went out for dinner.

I also started being able to even CONTEMPLATE quitting alcohol at that time.

Once I was no longer being poisoned daily, from my own mouth, my depression and anxiety and agorophobia started to lift.

I'm a firm believer in detoxification. Far infrared saunas, extreme healthy eating, not putting petroleum on our skin, Epsom salt baths, etc.

We are being barraged with chemicals and we wonder why we are crazy, and sickly and depressed ?

Then add the chemicals of antidepressants to the mix and now you got a real convert for life.

You are definitely on to something here. I look forward to hearing others experiences.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's called empathy. I am bipolar. The pain of depression and addiction is soul-crushing.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes, I was going to mention empathy too. I was just reading last night in a wonderful book on art ("Art and Fear") that great artists are great because they draw a distinct line between their own lives and their art. Actors in particular literally give of themselves to us. In that sense, losing Robin Williams makes me feel as if I lost a family member. I DID know him because I knew his work and loved it. And having known that he struggled with deep depression and addiction as many of us, it makes me feel all the more for him. It's just as sad as if I were to lose a friend, family member or coworker to suicide... it's just very, very sad, and there's really no reason to rationalize it at this point as we grieve his loss.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Definitely it's empathy. I hurt for him and all he had to have went through, and for all that loved him. Just as I would anyone else who is lost to mental illness. The thought that he had to feel so badly that he thought this was the only way out is so very sad. I feel this way for anyone dealing with mental illness at all.

He was a talented actor and kind person. It's more widely known and talked about because he was famous, that is true. However, many of us mourn those who are not famous and deal with mental illness also.

God Bless.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

He was bipolar.

1/5 diagnosed bipolars will eventually commit suicide:

Bipolar Disorder Statistics | Statistic Brain

He was a creative character, a comedian, and a drug addict.

Creative individuals are at higher risk for depressive and neurotic spectrum disorders:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creati...mental_illness

I keep seeing people trip out and act as if this was out of the blue, or something that could/should not happen. People die. Every day. About 150,000 people die each day, and about 350,000 are born. About 200,000 are added each day!

Worldometers - real time world statistics

It's estimated over 100 BILLION people have been born, yet how many do our history books recall, and for how long do you think you'll be remembered after you leave?

How Many People Have Ever Lived on Earth?

So what's not to get here? Are you weeping for the loss of an individual you've never met, or are you weeping over the fact that even someone who seemed to have it all, made it to the top of the cultural charts in his respective art, and a guy that many respected, still was mortal... so that makes you realize you will be as well?

Maybe you relate because of his abuse on drugs, and come to an erroneous conclusion that you're doomed to a similar fate of relapsing, substituting, and/or suicide? That's just silly, people. Don't get stuck in a doom state. We all are going to die, and yet we're all ultimately responsible and in control of our actions, despite the lies we sell ourselves.

We say, "I'm sorry for YOUR loss" for a reason. We lost a cultural icon, a man with an awesome public persona, but nobody here seems to have spent much if any time with the man personally. We don't know his struggles, his demons, him much as an individual as he is. All we know is what he projected in the spotlight, and the gossip that's now circling the globe. Respect a dead man, leave him be. Move on.

Let me ask you this: Do you think someone who's gift to humanity was making people's faces light up through zany comedic acts, would want you to suffer for his sake? Would he want you to do anything except move on, or maybe to grow and be a better person from his death? Grow. Live you life, and learn from this, if possible.

We're all going to grieve for people who mean something to us differently, and ultimately I respect this, but it's also best we keep perspective and not let anything in this world rob us of our ability to live an awesome life.

My apologies to anyone I may have offended.
i hope you feel better now for your rant it does work at times so well done for getting it off your chest

the only thing i see in robin williams death is a good reminder for me that it is only for to day i am sober. 20 years is a long time for people to go sober and start it up again and with it brings all the loneliness and desperation
etc i never want that back so i say thank you to robin williams for doing my drinking for me and showing me were it can end up
Old 08-12-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi All I have been battling a demon called fear for my daughter in the past 3 weeks.. I am a Lady Clown have done stand up and worked the circurt for laughs and funds to feed my kids when they were small. have been on Stage in Chicago with some great funny silly people and had my abilities picked apart and then restored.. got to watch Mr. Williams in the late 1980's on a small dark stage do his comedy.. to a group of people that really could have cared less.. laughter talent life what is it really.. do you know.. a person that helps so many others laugh have a better day. is often the one that needs the laughter so badly.. and can not see the Sun Light through the trees.. me babes of mine.. I have friends that say in the toughest of moments I am the greatest strenght for all around me.. when I am totaly by myself the tears will not stop.. and this Dear Man of comedy gave us so much. the Movie Good Morning Viet Nam put several Demons to bed for me.. and you just don't know how the Bird Cage makes me laugh and dance when Iam at my saddest... at 64 I have watched to many of my friends disappear to another stage a new parade to wait for my turn to join them... not in a rush for have so much yet to do .. I have on real thought that a Great Aunt gave me years ago, during a very dark time for her... My Dear You were given this Life.. It was not yours for the taking.. and you will not throw it away or harm it for it is not Yours to toss away like the trash.. My Great Aunt Sally. Russian Jewish German.. saved several lives back in the 1930's...so becarefull of the Grave you step on as you will have one come your turn.. and I for one want that hand that reaches out for me to be my Pop and he wil be singing what a wonderfull world and we will go had have coffee and I will get to feed the cows with my family.. and then in turn reach for my children one by one when it is their turn to join me... I am sorry for Mr. Williams and the family have lost so much so very very much.. and all of us have now lost a huge bit of Laughter and smiles and there is so little in the world today .. ardy
Old 08-12-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

to go along with the ranting and raving (i borrowed this from my friend nabby)
compassion.jpg
Old 08-12-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Posted by the lovely Firesprite a few months ago.....

RSA Shorts - The Power of Empathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Evwgu369Jw