Notices

not doing so hot right now

Old 08-04-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

not doing so hot right now

Im trying so hard to stay positive right now and not fall apart. My mom and other family members would probably say I am imagining everything and that I need to just snap out of it. I get no support emotionally from them. Only some of my friends understand those that have bipolar disorder. I stopped my Seroquel a month ago under doctors orders. I am sleeping very well but experiencing anxiety and depression these last two days it has gotten worse. I tried everything because I don't want to increase my meds and I so badly don't want to be bipolar and disappoint my family. I thought I could get of all my meds. Its hard being bipolar and alcoholic at the same time.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Have you seen a doctor in re to your bipolar and your depression?
Being sick is not shameful and it is ok to seek help outside of AA, it is not a reflection on how you work the program

Check out this pamphlet if you have not done so yet.
http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-11_...ersMedDrug.pdf
Old 08-04-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Anoronha, I too have bipolar and am an alcoholic. I'm sorry your family doesn't understand. Some of mine do and some don't. I'm glad you have some friends that understand.

I would encourage you to call or see your Dr. The way I've come to look at it is if I had any other illness that required medication I would take it. There's no shame in that.

I've self medicated (with alcohol) so many times when I was depressed. I stay in close contact with my Dr. I'm seeing her every 8 weeks right now and can call her in between appointments if things aren't going well.

I have found it to be such a relief to be on medications that help me function so much better. That pit of depression is such a horrible place to be. I hate to see you suffer with depression when there is help. I started a medication a couple of months ago that has made a lot of difference. We're slowly going up on the dose (so I don't become manic) but I'm so thankful for that med. Do you have a therapist? That's helpful too. I'm in the process of looking for another one.

PM me if you want to chat.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FelineLady View Post
Hi Anoronha, I too have bipolar and am an alcoholic. I'm sorry your family doesn't understand. Some of mine do and some don't. I'm glad you have some friends that understand.

I would encourage you to call or see your Dr. The way I've come to look at it is if I had any other illness that required medication I would take it. There's no shame in that.

I've self medicated (with alcohol) so many times when I was depressed. I stay in close contact with my Dr. I'm seeing her every 8 weeks right now and can call her in between appointments if things aren't going well.

I have found it to be such a relief to be on medications that help me function so much better. That pit of depression is such a horrible place to be. I hate to see you suffer with depression when there is help. I started a medication a couple of months ago that has made a lot of difference. We're slowly going up on the dose (so I don't become manic) but I'm so thankful for that med. Do you have a therapist? That's helpful too. I'm in the process of looking for another one.

PM me if you want to chat.
Thanks so much I called my sponsor and she has me doing some writtings and I am calling my doctor tomorrow morning. Im not going to drink over any of this and I see a therapist every two weeks or so.

What meds are you on? I am on abilify and lamictal.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Have you seen a doctor in re to your bipolar and your depression?
Being sick is not shameful and it is ok to seek help outside of AA, it is not a reflection on how you work the program

Check out this pamphlet if you have not done so yet.
http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-11_...ersMedDrug.pdf
I see a psychiatrist and a therapist. My mom is judgemental of my bipolar disorder so it is hard.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad you got in touch your sponsor and that you're going to call your Dr.

I'm on Depakote and Latuda. It's used off label for depression like Abilify can be. So far it has worked well for me. The depression is lifting. My Dr. just increased the dose last week.

Originally Posted by Anoronha View Post
Thanks so much I called my sponsor and she has me doing some writtings and I am calling my doctor tomorrow morning. Im not going to drink over any of this and I see a therapist every two weeks or so.

What meds are you on? I am on abilify and lamictal.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hi Anaharona (sp, sorry if it's not correct) !
I am alcoholic and bipolar as well. I write you to send encouragement when your times are tough right now....sounds like you are on the right track !
PM me anytime,

raku

Old 08-06-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you. Bipolar alcoholic. Unfortunately, as much as we want to not be Bipolar...it is reality. You're not imagining it, it is so real. I desperately didn't want to be on any medication but now I am on 4 meds. Honestly, at this point I am 100% OK with it because it's what helps me have a normal, functioning life. I'd rather be on 100 meds if it kept me from being depressed or manic. My depression goes right to suicidal obsession and it's hell! Staying sober is another way to manage the Bipolar but with my experience both sobriety and medication work best.

Good luck! PM me if you need support.