Notices

The Generic Form of Lexapro

Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Generic Form of Lexapro

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the generic version of Lexapro?
Unfortunately, I can no longer get the name brand perscription thru the patient assistance program because the generic version is available...

I'm beginning to wonder if the generic version works as well as the name brand?

I do have an apt with my doctor this coming week, but I am curious if there's anyone else who feels depressed again after switching to the generic?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know someone on generic and said no difference, but I have also heard with a lot of ssri's there can be a big difference depending on the manufacturing company (heard some better than others) and the fillers used. Maybe there is an academic journal that has some stats, but I guess everyone is made differently...good luck!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am currently on day 9 of 10mg of escitalopram (generic version of lexapro). So far its working as it should. Starting for feel more upbeat and optimistic. Able to concentrate better on whatever I am working on.

I was on it for a total of 72 days back in Aug, Sep & Oct of 2012. I started feeling better, and i decided I didn't want to take it anymore. I lapsed back into a depressed pattern in Nov & December. I decided I needed to be on them for a longer period while I work out these issues I'm dealing with, so back to it I go.

I started feeling a lot more stable after about day 6, but the first go around it took about 21 days for me to feel better. I think it was because I was very hesitant to get on any pills to feel better to I fought it until I finally caved in when it started to lift the cloud of depression. I've never been on Lexapro, so I can't compare. But so far this version is helping me.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A generic drug has the same active ingredients and dose as a brand name drug so there is no reason it wouldn't work as well.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also had to switch to the generic form for the same reason. As long as it is up to date, it seems to work the same for me. (I tried left over old prescript and did not work.)