Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

Grave mental and emotional disorders, and the capacity to be honest with oneself

Notices

Grave mental and emotional disorders, and the capacity to be honest with oneself

Old 10-13-2010, 03:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

girls, this is not an advertisement . It is all about how to fix your brain by using nutrition. I am glad that you are feeling better with your medications. I also, go to the AA meetings for support for my alcoholism, but I found a way (though much research) how to cure my depression naturally. If anyone was interested - I was going to write out the whole program for nothing $00.00, because I care about suffering people - but you see the rejection that comes my way? You did not listen to the you tube carefully, because it is all about nutrition and how Bill w tried to help others, after he found a way (through Dr. hoffer) to cure his own depression. He too was rejected by his own medical board. Chemical depression can be helped with the proper nutrients. they are healing Schizophrenia's now with nutrition.

I really am so sorry that you took this the wrong way. My purpose is to help others. Maybe it will help somebody else that that is looking for a natural way to cure their depression.

Margee
Old 10-13-2010, 07:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Vitamin B12 worked well for my depression when I was pregnant with my son. I was not on any meds at that time, and wanted to find a natural way to treat my depression. After just a week or so of taking it, I and others began noticing the difference. I socialized (with STRANGERS! *gasp*) and just generally felt so much better.

Of course, I think your best bet is to get the vitamins you need through real food.

Some people may still need medications for their illnesses, and vitamins are not an alternative to the 12 steps, either. However, I absolutely believe in the power of a good diet. Diet means so much. You know the saying "You are what you eat"? Well, this actually has a lot of truth to it. Things like chronic depression, mania, anxiety, etc. can be improved through diet. Even physical ailments such as Multiple Sclerosis and of course Diabetes can go into remission due to a healthy, whole diet.

I am still dependent on medication, but am off all anxiety pills. I used to have panic attacks 2-3 times per week, and I thought I would always need Ativan to cope. In April, I went to rehab and learned how to pray and meditate. These things have been essential to me, and I have not had a panic attack since April! I was on Neurontin for a while, but got off it a few months ago, and am still mostly able to cope through prayer and meditation, or by finding gratitude. NEVER thought I'd be off those meds, from the day I started taking them.

I plan on using the power of the mind to overcome some of my current issues. Diet is essential, too. It has worked for me in the past, though, so I hope to make it happen for the issues I am currently having.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

margee..i too was a bit taken aback by the post...i mean...i don't see AA as ever having tried to say that nutrition and treatment for other disorders is wrong..in fact i think it has encouraged those options. I think the vidio you posted was similar in its tact...you seem to have a differnt take on it...

but you see the rejection that comes my way? You did not listen to the you tube carefully, because it is all about nutrition and how Bill w tried to help others, after he found a way (through Dr. hoffer) to cure his own depression. He too was rejected by his own medical board. Chemical depression can be helped with the proper nutrients. they are healing Schizophrenia's now with nutrition.
1. no one is rejecting the idea of nutritien. ease up hon

2. the ytube didn't say anything that seemed to me to be novel or new...same old stuff..an element of our mental processes is our physical processes chemicals, eating etc.... duh...

3. come on "healing" sure as in helping...there isn't some majical clear cut answer weather it be therapy, nutriten, spiritual help.... many things impact our lives.

I'm real big on dealing with our mental ilnesses as physically originated and needing proper physical care...but what you posted (your words not those on the vidio) really came across as some majic answer...some seee....AA is wrong sorta post...

Thats fine..it is what it is and AA is far from the answer to eveything.

and i don't believe in magic answers...even if these problems have a physical answer...we are far from understanding all the aspects to come up with a one size fits all relief....

One...continue to see your dr (as i do), continue to take appropriet meds (as i do .. when i can afford them), but explore the other stuff that AA and sobriety have to offer.

People have suffered from mental conditions that had a chemical basis for thousands and thousands of years...because we cannot always figure out the chemical stuff...it has helped for thousands of years to look at other options as well....

Ok i could get really intelectual here.. suffice it to say that i utilize what medicines have to offer....as well as philosophy, psycology, spirituality...
Old 10-13-2010, 05:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I think there have been some studies out that say exercise and good nutrition can be as effective as psychopharmacology in certain cases. But these studies of patients that under go such natural treatment are supervised by a doctor. I would advise against taking a serious matter like mental illness and playing ones own doctor.

I'm all for whatever helps a person get better mental health. Yet at the same time I would not make any changes in my mental health treatment without being under a doctors supervision.

I have benefited from meditation and continuing work to develop a positive attitude. My moods may be low from time to time but I've learned how to keep from making then worse with faulty thinking.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have 6 months in the program but only 2 weeks clean due to frequent relapsing, so take all this with a grain of salt.
i understand how hopeless you can feel since, been there-done that, but 6 months is a relatively short time. it isnt like youve been trying for 6 years with the same success rate.

i do know that doesnt help much since it didnt help me either, "back then"....but you will succeed. i eventually got victory as hopeless as it seemed at the time...yes, it was a painful struggle, and what i am trying to overcome now is a painful struggle.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I know a guy who relapsed over and over for many years. He now finally made it to his first 2 year chip after like a decade of NA! If he can do it, so can I!
Old 11-08-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

do you like to read at all?

hi onewithwings,

i think i have BPD too and have not sought treatment. i feel terrible about myself all the time and distrust everyone, mostly the people closest to me.

i really don't know what the answer is for you or me........but i wanted to tell you that there are tons of books and workbooks about BPD.........you can order them on amazon........i think those of us with BPD or other serious and severe mental conditions need more in-depth treatment than what is offered in the twelve-step program. i have been to AA meetings and benefitted from them to a degree, but i never felt connected at all, and that is probably because of the BPD issues. so i still drink one or twice a week. i've gone up to six months not drinking but right now it's at about once or twice a week.

but what i really wanted to tell you about was this book by Rachel Reiland, "Get Me Out of Here"........a BPD patient's memoirs. it took a lot of intense one-on-one therapy for her with a very talented and committed psychiatrist.........the problem is finding a psychiatrist who is willing to treat "us" because it can be gruelling for them. i can't remember if her doctor had her on any medication, but those of us with BPD have to be extremely careful with meds and alcohol.

it looks and sounds like you are still very young and stand a very good chance of learning how to cope with BPD at a young age and enjoy the rest of your life..........studies show that the symptoms of BPD tend to subside in the mid 40's.........so you see there is hope! in the meantime you have to get in there and roll up your sleeves and do the hard work.

i wish you all the best and will check back on this thread to see how you're doing.

shuga
Old 11-08-2010, 03:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hey,

I'm with Shuga, also dealing with alcoholism and borderline personality disorder.

It's funny that you bring up honesty, that's really something that I think a lot of people with borderline struggle with. I can see in hindsight how I took every emotion I was feeling as the ultimate truth in the world and if ever anyone dared to dispute me on that it was a personal attack against me.

Not to mention the bloody fear of, God forbid, people rejecting you. Gotta lie to keep yourself looking perfect for everyone.

I've gone through some pretty excellent treatment for my BPD though. If you've got DBT counseling in your area it's well worth looking into. I tried a lot of stuff before it and that was the only therapy that seemed to connect with the problems I was having.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I can't help you at all with the mental health issues. I can say that I know a number of very seriously mentally ill persons that have recovered as the result of a spiritual awakening from taking the 12 Steps. It may not solve your mental health issues, but it will put you in a position to better get help and deal with them.

First, I ask you to try and accept that 13 relapses in 6 months is not relapsing. It's an inability to get sober. Much like myself, you may fall into the category of having no choice over whether you drink and use or not. I was at the mercy of something much stronger than me. Powerless against it.

Originally Posted by Onewithwings View Post
I have worked the first 3 steps 3 times, 3 different ways.
OK, so you see the need for having some power in your life. I don't get that power in my life by doing Steps 1-3 and trying to live a better life and be useful. I get (got) that power by carrying through the decision made in Step 3. The action parts of Steps 4-9 that remove from me what has been blocking me off from that power.

Without that action, I have simply made a decision with no power to back it up.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I am doing well now. Working on backing up my work in the first 3 steps, by ctively turning my will and my life over to God, throughout the day. I am going over my first 3 steps with my (new!) sponsor tomorrow, and moving on to step 4.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I've been sober 19 years and during that time I sponsored two bi-polar women. One of the women stopped taking her medication, then went back on it, then stopped again. I had to resign as her sponsor because when she was off meds, she became completely irrational and self-destructive. She needed a doctor, not an AA sponsor. The second woman is also bipolar but has always taken her medication. She is one of the biggest joys of my life.

Remember: we can only be sober TODAY.
The ONLY requirement for membership is a desire to stay sober.
It is PROGRESS, not PERFECTION.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

bipolars can be hell when they are off their meds. My new sponsor is bipolar and went off her meds once, because someone told her she wasn't clean because she was taking xyz (meds for bipolar). So she up and quit them and had this huge manic phase before getting back on her meds.

I am BPD and have gone off my meds, after a pretty good run of sobriety (for me) and relapsed after about 2 days off my meds. I was pretty insane. I am on some good meds now that seem to be helping and have minimal side effects/addictive properties.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I will be clean 60 days on Thanksgiving (God willing, but I haven't felt like using at all, really). This has been my easiest run so far, and I credit it to developing a RELATIONSHIP with my higher power. I am still new at this, but now I see how God works in my life, and have Him with me throughout my day. It has made decision making much easier, and has helped me avoid temptations I come across (My old motto was "Lead me not unto temptation, I can find it myself.")
Old 11-29-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It sounds like you relapsed AFTER going off your meds. If I've read this right, taking your medication -- no matter what -- has to be a priority. So perhaps this is where honesty comes in. With that, forget trying to do a dozen steps and activities at once, just go to a meeting per day, call a sponsor and don't pick up a drink.

We don't drink one day at a time. That's it.