Notices

Lithium and weight gain

Old 04-23-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lithium and weight gain

Hi everyone!! Well, I'm 87 days sober feeling wonderful about that, however there is this issue I have with my weight...I'm bipolar so have been taking lithium for 5 months, all was fine at the beginning but now it seems like I am always bloated!!! I am an active person, and I do drink about 4 cans of coke a week but mostly just water water and more water.... but just can't seem to get rid of this bloat!! it gets uncomfortable at times..reminds me of when I was drinking...that puffy feeling, I thought for sure I would have lost weight after the drinking ended....have any of you taking lithium experienced this?? I'm not asking for medical advice, I am going to talk to my doc...just curious if this is a common side effect...

Thanks for sharing

Liz
Old 04-23-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Liz,

I take Zyprexa and Cipralex for my BPD and the former has caused a significant amount of weight gain. Weight gain is a common side effect for a lot of anti-psychotic and anti-convulsants drugs. Having said that, there are some that have a much lower rate of weight gain, and I'm going to look into that at my next pdoc appointment.

I didn't lose weight when I gave up drinking, but I didn't gain any either. I continued to go to the gym, and to eat healthy, but I was going to the coffee shop and eating decadent desserts with my new sober friends - I couldn't keep up that lifestyle for long!

Good for you for achieving 87 days of sobriety - keep up the good work. It just keeps getting better and better.

Ro
Old 04-25-2010, 01:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes Lithium does contribute to weight gain, mainly that it holds on to water so much and you probably find yourself more easily dehydrated now too. I gained a significant amount of weight after starting the Lithium. I would talk to your psychiatrist about this.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the replies, it seems I'm always thirsty!!! I can't get enough water into me..my fingers aren't swollen but my stomach!! I go and see my psych next month so I'm going to bring a list of my concerns....I just wonder if there is another medication without these side effects..The lithium really has made a difference with my moods it's just a shame it comes with a cost..
Old 04-26-2010, 11:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I was NOT on anything other than lexapro - and gained a lot of weight when i got sober as well -
but MY problem it turned out was my thyroid had begun to fail.
I also had considerable kidney difficulty in early sobriety...

maybe have a chat with your doc
to be sure all systems are up and running?

hey congratulations - you're almost at NINETY DAYS!!!! wooHOO!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been on thyroid meds for 6 years, uugh. I tried supposed trace amounts of lithium orolate to help with "trigger" mood swings... It is a salt! H20 follows salt. Please drink plenty of water......

The thyroid is definitely affected by Lithium... Get your numbers the next time they do a blood draw... Make sure you are between 1.0-2.0 or you will more than likely feel like poo....:day6