Notices

Bi-polar

Old 03-18-2010, 03:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bi-polar

I just wanted to open myself up and be available for any discussion on / to do with bipolar. I am 29 and have been since i was 17. So feel free to pm me if you need a chat
Old 03-26-2010, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've had depression most of my adult life, anxiety too, but several years ago was also diagnosed Bipolar. I don't like that term either, sounds like a big magnet to me, manic depressive is much more descriptive of how it feels.

That's what my avatar pic is all about: bipolar. Feeling like I'm walking a crazy tightrope trying to balance the unbalanceable.

Welcome to the mental health forum!
Old 03-30-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm bipolar as well, I was diagnosed about 7 years ago, but didn't want to face it...so just a few months ago I started lithium, and have quit drinking...life issure is alot more manageable these days... the highs aren't so high and the lows aren't as low...Wish I had of listened years ago!!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Least, I know what u mean by the label. My friend when discussing her health situation says "I am Bipolar". I prefer, "I have bipolar disorder" because I feel there is a lot more to me than just this diagnosis. Everyone is different in what term they like but I don't want to be defined by this illness.. Take Care Everyone With love, Kerry
Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Bi-Polar is the New Manic Depression from what I understand they don't diagnose manic anymore. <?> It's no longer PC.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yea Alizerin thats what I;ve heard too although like Least I prefer the term manic depressive as it highlights exactly whats the matter with me!!

I've not been on for about 2 week cuz I was feeling really low, i had a lot of stress at work and home and yet managed to make my 30 days today!! But I just did my routine of getting up going to work coming home making dinner then bed at 8pm, repeat. When I get that down I dont' really want to talk to anyone so i hope people understand why i haven't been logging on and still remember about me

Anyways, I feel fantastic now im 30 days!!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JJB

Hi there
I 'm like reader and don't want to be "defined" as an illness but I have been finding out more about bi-polar and can relate to quite a lot of it.

I see you are a Brit, angharad, so have you seen the documentary or film by Stephen Fry about this illness? It's called "The secret life of the manic depressive"
I found it very interesting and it helped me feel less alone in experiencing some of these symptoms.
However one thing I did find curious was that most of the people he interviewed said that although it's a dreadful illness if they could get rid of it they wouldn't.
Any reactions to that or has anyone seen this film?
Old 04-06-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I've said before somewhere in here... My doctor hasn't diagnosed me per se. She believes so many of us just can't be boxed. I'm sure there's something in my file for insurance purposes, but I don't even know what that is - I'm betting it's bi-polar 'cause arn't we all! ;-)! Luckily I'm on a combination from heaven. I'm still a nut. But, I'm a fairly happy one.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"it's a dreadful illness if they could get rid of it they wouldn't."

No, I haven't seen it. But that's interesting. I'd be sad if my medications made all of my eccentricities vanish. It hasn't, it's actually made me more of who I am. I have more confidence in my weirdness. I no longer scare myself.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
On my path.

My son's psychiatrist is suggesting that we admit our son to a pediatric treatment facility to detox him from the meds he is on right now and begin lithium etc. He has long suspected that my son has bipolar disorder or schizophrenia, his biological parents both were diagnosed with chronic mental illnesses. Were any of you diagnosed at a young age? My son is ten.

This may be asking too much, but could you tell me what it is like? My son has other issues, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, mental retardation and language spectrum disorder and has a difficult time articulating what he is feeling. Any insights may help me help him.

Thank you,

Old 05-09-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
KCB.com/justfortoday :-)

I was diagnosed as having cyclothymia which is defined under the bipolar spectrum. Advise, support, opinions or whatever from people who know about the illness would be much appreciated so I am glad that I found this forum.

I have been in AA for nearly two years now and like with anything it started out difficult...I soon got the hang of it and I was doing really well. Lately I've slumped and it's so hard to see if it's my alcoholism, my mood disorder or the fact that I am going through the grieving process as I recently lost my Granddad.

I find it hard to accept the diagnosis, not because I don't want a label, I'm fine with that. I just doubt my psychiatrist as he doesn't understand my alcoholism and told me I could drink again when I was in my 50s (not sure why my 50s and not my 40s...your guess is as good as mine!). I know that I have to abstain though and my recovery wasn't affected by this but now I think...how much of my issues are actually my mood disorder and how much is my alcoholism...do I even have a mood disorder?? I am on effexor and lamotrigine and have been for my whole recovery. Some days I want to come off my tablets...it's the only way I would know that they work.

I think I am just going through a depressive episode coupled with grief but it's so hard to see or define.

I hope this has made sense! I guess what I want to know is can I ever have a happy and joyous recovery while I am medicated???