Notices

Agitated Depression

Old 12-11-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hypercube

Agitated Depression

My new psychologist has confirmed that I am going through an episode of agitated depression. The following description from the book Why Am I Still Depressed? describes it perfectly:

"This combination is one of the most severe and dangerous mood states known. You feel overenergized to the point of agitation, and yet you are terribly depressed. You may feel extremely irritable and extremely hopeless at the same time, giving you an angry, 'What's the point, any-way?' attitude. Your mind is usually racing with thoughts, nearly all of them very negative. Perhaps worst of all is a reversed self-confidence, where the grandiosity [that defines mania] is instead experienced as a profound lack of self-esteem, to the point where you feel worse than worthless: you are slime, you are a burden to others, and you cannot do anything correctly or of any value."
Has anyone here experienced this type of depression and if so, what are some of the ways that you've learned to manage it? I'm exercising for 45 minutes to an hour five days a week, which burns up some of the energy.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
It sounds like what I experienced my first two weeks sober. To this day I still "manage" most of my emotions by practicing a 12-Step program of recovery in AA and by going to various meetings and support groups.

It's been a long road though and I didn't manage anything very well at first. I spent a few days at a mental hospital, I tried different meds, and mostly I just went through a lot of pain, discomfort, and insanity as a result of alcoholism and a lack of spirituality.

I encourage you to keep working with your psychologist and/or doctor and think about a plan for your recovery.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
hypercube

Thanks for sharing your experience, Astro.

I've had major clinical depression for over 10 years, it started before my alcoholism. I've given up looking for a cure, but in order to function I need to "manage" the symptoms.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hypercube

I have Graves disease, which has been in remission for three years. I think it's time to get my thyroid checked again, my racing thoughts, agitation, emotional lability, and inability to concentrate could be caused by hyperthyroidism.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
If I remember correctly my first wife had Grave's, that was a long time ago but I remember she had thyroid issues.

Please keep us posted on your progress, sending prayers out for you.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
hypercube

Thanks, Astro.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had all of these symptoms, Box. Mostly after I got clean and sober. And I had them for years.

I was diagnosed as Bi-polar II and given anti-depressants. I didn´t get better, so I started CBT, worked the twelve step programmes, learned yoga and various kinds of dance. Like Astro, the twelve steps worked for me and I´ve never looked back.

Few years ago I went for an evaluation and the doctors decided I didn´t have Bipolar II. It was in fact a wrong diagnosis and they took me off the medicine. I started to feel much, much better. Now they tell me I have cyclothymia, a tendency to become a little bit depressed and little bit extatic.

The CBT has worked wonders together with vigorous exercise like swimming and walking and relaxation. I strongly recommend it, but you should do it every day or at least every other day.

I did what you are doing now. I accepted I had Bipolar and started managing the symptoms. Then slowly but surely, they disappeared. I´m much happier with the new diagnosis.

Best of luck to you.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
hypercube

Thanks, Lilya. I'm pleased to hear that over time your symptoms have disappeared.

I'm thinking of checking out AA for the support. I need to be around people who are working on staying sober.

As for my depression, I'm a firm believer in CBT, good low GI diet and exercise too. I do Iyengar yoga and swim 4 to 5 times per week for 45 minutes to an hour. I also take an SSRI.

I had a thyroid function test today, so I'll soon find out whether or not I can rule out any thyroid hormone imbalance.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have anxiety and depression both and often feel very depressed but very agitated as well. Usually when I'm really depressed I sleep it off, but when depressed and agitated I can't relax enough to sleep so I just pace the house or walk the dogs or try to 'work off' the excess energy.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
hypercube

Thanks for sharing your experience, Least. The inability to relax thing is so tiring.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't know how up to speed your doctors are but an SSRI may not be the best thing for this, it may be aggravating it, but everyone is different so it may be right after all. A lot will depend on how long you were taking various medications, reason for switching meds, periods with different symptoms etc.

Sticking around recovery things and people is the most vital ingredient.

In my unique case I found it difficult to do that before my seizures and nerve pain were dealt with (by pills).

There are a great many kinds of bipolar and one may change from one kind to another several times over the course of a medical history. It certainly is possible to be manic and depressed at one time.

Last edited by Found; 12-15-2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: blunder
Old 12-15-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, you certainly do everything that is recommended for this kind of depression, Box. It will be interesting to see how your thyroid checks out, because I know that could be a key factor.

I think I was going through so much and had no tools to work on my agitated depression, I was diagnosed wrongly. But one thing I do remember and would like to pass to you. My doctor told me depression can be dealt with by structuring everything in the day down to the hour and if you do the same thing every day, like jogging or swimming, the mind feels secure and inevitably starts to build up levels of security.

I still structure my days, but not to the extent I had to when I was at my worst. I used AA´s motto as a daily mantra: One day at a time, or even: One hour at a time.

Love and light.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I also just got this book. My GP and I have decided that I fit the symptoms of Bipolar II. I would like to see a pyschiatrist, but it will cost me 300 dollars, which I do not have. I am going to work with my GP and see if we can find a good mix of meds for me. Racing thoughts, anxiety and depression are not living to me. Life is more than more than just white knuckling through it.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Misanthrope

Hm, i've definately had all those. Never had anyone say I had it though.