Notices

Homeopathy

Old 03-06-2008, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Homeopathy

Homeopathy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anybody into this? I am giving it a try even though i have my doubts. My mom has MS and the depression that often accompanies the cross wired nerves. She swears Homeopathy works. Homeopathy is anti pharmaceutical, the Doc(he actually is a DR,who has distanced himself from western medicine) gives me poop for even taking Aspirin. It makes some sense to me and we all know how toxic meds are even though we may need them.
Something our already polluted livers could do without.

One thing that bugs me is the remedies contain .13% alcohol. Each dose is 10 drops. So its basically nothing. I wouldn't recommend it to a fellow addict because if for some stupid reason it caused a relapse i would feel so bad. Took a 6 month chip recently and felt a little dirty(not really)

he is mostly working on cleansing my liver and blood as well as stuff for mood. A bad liver will also cause mood problems.

-kidney&liver, detox
-avena sativa, anxiety/depression
-brassica oleracea, ??
-alcohol detox, (ironic )
-scutellaria lateriflora, ?
-cucubita maxima
-the rescue remedy, anxiety

sounds like a witches brew, So any exsperiences with this form of medicine.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I am actually familiar with homeopathy. I do not discount it as a being beneficial to some people. Our medical world is becoming more open to alternative medicines. To renew my nursing license this last time I had to take a pain management update class. In it they referred to acupuncture, meditation, yoga, chiropractors, as well as several other modalities as being acceptable treatments for pain management. In the 20 years I have been nursing I have never seen this much forward thinking. Personally I feel that mixing the traditional with the modern can be quite beneficial. I would love to see more physicians be open to the concept. In fact I believe that our newer physicians are.

One does need to realize though that many of our current medications originally came from plants and herbs. Aspirin comes from a tree root. But even aspirin has side effects. Even herbs have side effects and can interact in negative ways when combined with other herbs. I would make sure that any naturalpath was an accreditated one if I were to see one.

You are right about the concern regarding the alcohol content. I personally would not take them as I don't even use mouthwash with alcohol in it. I just don't want to get my body started.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

ditto what Nan said....

Splendra is a long-time member here at SR and i believe she is very knowledgeable about this topic...hopefully she will notice this thread, but if you really want some good input i'd suggest looking her up and goind to her.

I personally try to substatute as many natural remedies for Rx pills any time i can. You absolutely MUST be careful tho!! As Nan suggested....some can cause bad reactions when mixed with Rx meds, like....i wanted to start a regemine of St. John's Wart as i've known several people it really helps....but i can't take it with the anti-d's and/or with mood stabalizer.

I also agree with Nan about the no alcohol policy. I'm not an alcoholic....and i'm not a doc either, BUT seems that is one remedy that should be skipped if the doc gives a rat's butt about thier patient at all!! I mean.....after all....EVERYTHING about the patient's body and life will suffer if they relapse!!!!

The few of the natural ways i try to keep my depression/sleep/anxiety/health in good shape is to try to get proper sleep (since sleep plays the biggest role in a bipolar's mood changes) by using my breathing machine for my sleep apnea, using relaxation/sleep meditation CDs, deep breathing excersizes, weekly cognative therapy, prayer, positive affirmations, etc.

I'd gotten out the habit of many of them and i've definetly suffered for it. I plan to get back to using my nightly sleep meditation cd soon b/c it really did help my anxiety so much when i was using it...just gotta find it and plug it in...yadda, yadda. ANd i could always implore more prayer and positive affirmations AND if i can get back out of this current depressive episode i really want to start walking again because that regular excersize also does us LOADS of good.

Nan....funny you include chiropracters in that list....guess i never thought of them as being a part of the "new age" group of health care peeps! I've only been a handful of times myself and only due to recent back and neck issues, but i can assure you that's no load of bull! Being able to walk out of their office and turn your head (when you couldn't when you walked in) is definetly no bull. lol

oh.....and i ALSO enjoy using and learning about aromatherapy quite a bit....just haven't kept up with it much lately either.

Anyway, that's my 3 cents :P

Jenna
Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

stayin ...

I'm OTT about some aspects of it.... but one thing .. ONE THING ...

I'm the daughter of someone who was WAY OTT with it.

100% of the people who I've seen do 'essences' 100% ... go back to drinking.

be amazingly careful with the drops.

pills - the under the tongue stuff - that's ok.

the drops - even when they CLAIM there's no alcohol - be very very careful.

please.

you've come so far.

I don't know evewrything and this stuff has only ben around for a while .. I've only been around it for say .. forty years?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know I sound hard core -= but I've been around a LONNNNNG time -= y'all hust have to trust me in that.

My aunt was an herbalist in the N Ga mtns in the 1920's ... I grew UP with this stuff.

I know people are gonna jump all over me about it -
but I know what I have seen. I even remember this book coming out in the seventies 'The Findhorn' whatever ... the 'book that started it all' ... that and what was that one about the Divas.... still ... even those that 'say' they don't have alcohol -= decoctions and essences ... are risky buisness when dealing with hard core alcoholics.

Pills - I personally like some of the pills. creams and that stuff. But I steer away from the drops.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Yikes!!! Ya thats pretty much the vibe i was expecting about the .13% in the drops.It did bug my conscience taking the drops knowing it contains alcohol of any amount. Though in the month of taking the drops i had no ill effects trigger wise. But in view of the recommendation from you young Lady's i don't think i will continue this stuff. My sobriety is more important than any health concerns i may have. Haven't really noticed any measurable gains anyway. Yet kinda disappointed i need to stop. I will just keep on with all the other healthy self care type stuff Shutter mentioned.(hope you feel better soon) Lots of good info thanks guys.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I tried it, didn't work for me. Seems like the power is in the mind of the individual or how they react to the treatment.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

StayinAlive,

I've tried homeopathy with modestly postive results in the past. READ ( lol ) : If you want to give it a try, some homeopaths will prepare your remedies without alcohol, using vinegar instead of brandy (this is an acceptable substitute, check out the Bach institute webpage, they do bear alcoholics in mind). You'll need to shop around though. I agree about avoiding alcohol.

Hope this helps,

Matt
Old 03-07-2008, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by mattcake79 View Post
StayinAlive,

I've tried homeopathy with modestly postive results in the past. READ ( lol ) : If you want to give it a try, some homeopaths will prepare your remedies without alcohol, using vinegar instead of brandy (this is an acceptable substitute, check out the Bach institute webpage, they do bear alcoholics in mind). You'll need to shop around though. I agree about avoiding alcohol.

Hope this helps,

Matt
Thank you Matt. That is a wonderful idea. I never would have thought of it.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Originally Posted by mattcake79 View Post
StayinAlive,

Hope this helps,

Matt
cool thanks
Old 03-07-2008, 10:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Please take this in the spirit it's intended;
and I see I didn't mention it.
Yeah, they do make tinctures and essences that are made with vinegars, and some even with distilled waters.

*My* point is, regarding alcoholism is ...
alcoholics *medicate* ... with liquid.
(I've never heard of brandy - it was always vodka?)

It's a conscious/unconscious/subconscious trigger thing.
I think that's why it's a 100% thing that I don't think even Bach has come up with yet.

LIke I say ... it's JMO. About the 'why'.
The 100% .. that - I've seen for myself, is all.

Last edited by barb dwyer; 03-07-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I apologize for that sounding so argumentative..
I'm just so protective of my PEEPS any more...
Old 03-08-2008, 02:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
I apologize for that sounding so argumentative..
I'm just so protective of my PEEPS any more...
Thanks Auntie Barb, peep peep You didn't sound argumentative anyway
Old 03-08-2008, 04:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I love homeopathy and am currently adding supplements approved by my doctor and recommended by healthfood store.

I have tried Rescue Remedy and it did not help, instead I got my exciteable and wanted to go out. Not sure if it was the alcohol or coincidence. ANyway I know people who use it for cats to keep them calm for vet trips believe it or not. Many of the herbs in it can be taken separately