Notices

marijuana not addictive-right?

Old 03-03-2018, 12:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

marijuana not addictive-right?

just found this section. marijuana-home grown-is not addictive? husband says he will taper off use, is this a lie?
Old 03-03-2018, 12:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It doesn't have to be. Some people manage it.

But in my case I made such an appointment many many times and broke it many many times. I used it as a reason to keep smoking. I was always going to quit, but always in the far away future.

Feel free to provide more information and I will try and say something about it from my perspective.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And wether it's addictive or not: all the people here are having symptoms of withdrawl, both physically and mentally. The mental part is the hardest if you ask me. I didn't have any real physical symptoms myself but that has been different on earlier attempts to quit.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

he smokes them like other people smoke normal cigarettes, no tobacco in though, i think he is using withdrawal as excuse to keep on. i never heard of withrawals from it, mental yes but not physical
Old 03-03-2018, 01:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Night sweats are very very common. Some people experience headaches. It varies. But most of it is mental indeed, and the mental aspect is critical in staying quit. It's also the hardest by a long stretch.

Why not point him to this forum? I was thinking about quitting, started reading here and I noticed that my own unique story wasn't so unique. I suffered from exactly the same things as everyone here on this forum. For me it was the last push I needed. I decided to call it quits and I am here almost every day to read and post. Like many others who have tried to quit on their own (and failed) I have a feeling that this place is going to make the difference that is needed to stay quit for good.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome DonG

I can only give you my experience - I was so addicted I had to have weed in my house - if I ran out I panicked and starting combing the carpet for crumbs.

I'd fly into a rage if I ran out of weed for too long.

I blew off many responsibilities to stay home and smoke weed - job included.

It was a great struggle for me to finally give up but I had to - I smoked for 30 years & my lungs are a bit of a mess.

D
Old 03-03-2018, 03:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks FlyingDutchMan and Dee will tell him about here
Old 03-03-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Old 03-03-2018, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Old 03-03-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Old 03-03-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Old 03-03-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Old 03-03-2018, 04:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Old 03-04-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome DonG

I can only give you my experience - I was so addicted I had to have weed in my house - if I ran out I panicked and starting combing the carpet for crumbs.

I'd fly into a rage if I ran out of weed for too long.

I blew off many responsibilities to stay home and smoke weed - job included.

It was a great struggle for me to finally give up but I had to - I smoked for 30 years & my lungs are a bit of a mess.

D
It's important to share stories like this so thanks, Dee. I was more of an opinion that it's not addictive, but I realized I was just defensive of my smoking habits. I was downright addicted at one point. Not as extremely as you, but it was an addiction no doubt.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DelmarEs

Yeah I was deep in the hole - I was several years sober before I fully gave away the notion of someday smoking again.

D
Old 05-15-2018, 10:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The prospect of legalization in my state was pending (but won't make the ballet this year), and dealing with a loved with substance addiction (not weed), I really wanted to know more as legalization will do for weed what it did for booze:

it lowers the bar for the next generation so think 'it's not that bad if the government made it legal'.

This forum was the first place I looked, and after reading the struggles of many here, I've now recommended others I've talked to about legalization of weed to not take my word on it, but to come here and see what others are/have gone through.

I thank you all for sharing your experiences here. You may never know it, but you just may help a teen or young adult (could be one of my own) to think seriously before going down this road.

I pray you well on your recovery.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Marijuana is a highly addictive drug,
hence Marijuana Anonymous.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
waking down

I've known tons of people who say they can quit anytime...but don't.

I was a heavy user, and when I would try to cut back my anxiety would spike, so I thought the weed was helping my anxiety. When I finally went cold turkey I had a nightmare so bad that I woke up and cried for hours until I stumbled sobbing into a counseling center. It passed. And after a few weeks, so did the anxiety. And then I could never smoke it again without risking a panic attack. Eventually, I got half a brain and said never again.

Quitting alcohol, by the way, spiked my anxiety, as well. Now many years clean and sober, anxiety is a rare and passing event.

I was addicted to weed. And I had various withdrawal symptoms. People who say it's not addictive are fooling themselves or lying.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just my experience but I think is is incredibly psychologically addictive. I started when I was 13 and that was all I could think about. When you quit it can take a long time to be back to 100%. Not until the end of my use did I put 2 and 2 together and figure out that there is an emotional withdraw from it.

I find that quitting pot is a lot like quitting nicotine. You get very irritated easily. Also there is the rapid mood changes. Pot is not as benign as everybody thinks.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Marijuana is addictive, both psychologically and physically.

They say it is addictive for "only" 10% of the smokers. But for those who end up addicted, it's actually 100% addictive, if you know what I mean.