Notices

marijuana not addictive-right?

Old 06-01-2018, 06:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

To chime in, marijuana is not physically addictive, but it is psychologically addictive. It can become so much a part of someone's routine that they can't imagine life without it. Here is a link with info: https://www.leafscience.com/2017/10/...ana-addictive/
Old 06-01-2018, 09:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For me, it was also physically addictive.
My withdrawal symptoms included:
Loss of appetite
Night sweats
Daytime hot flashes
Constipation
Irritability
Insomnia
Old 06-01-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

My personal experience also suggests it is physically addictive.

If you do something daily for 30 years it's going to bite you on the butt when you quit.

D
Old 06-02-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It is physically addictive, in my opinion. Physical withdrawal symptoms such as headaches and night sweats pretty much prove that.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It's certainly addictive to me, causing physical withdrawals among other things... It's my DoC. I have been using it heavily for four years. I still haven't been able to quit. Not the same for everyone, though.

I would assume your husband could taper his use if he really wanted, but does he? Best of luck with you two.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I personally hate the differentiation between psychological vs. physical addiction. Our brains and bodies are part of one organism. There also seems to be a misconception that drugs, which are "physically addictive" are more difficult to come off of than those which are deemed primarily psychologically addictive.

Some people don't have any withdrawal symptoms when they stop smoking. Others, myself included, have to go through a gauntlet. Frankly, I'm thankful that it was tough for me. If quitting was easy, I probably would have gone back by now.

The primary withdrawal symptoms I experienced were cravings, depression, and anxiety, which would all probably be considered psychological symptoms. This is true, but there are also physical components to them, like insomnia, no appetite, sweating, and others. I personally found dealing with "physical symptoms" to be far easier than dealing with the mental ones.

Quitting's hard, and your body pretty much does the opposite of what the dopamine and serotonin boosts you got from drugs did. I don't even believe in addiction to certain drugs. I believe addiction is a phenomenon characterized by a compulsion to alter one's mind with whatever. Whenever I didn't have weed, I'd use whatever I could get my hands on to avoid being sober. I tried giving up just weed and just other stuff and it all led me back to the same place. Progress only occurred when I stopped everything and learned to be sober.