Notices

5-HTP - any thoughts?

Old 03-06-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5-HTP - any thoughts?

I typically take one dual release melatonin capsule (3 mg) and one benadryl (25 mg) before bed every night, which seems to work well for me. The other day I was reading a major health magazine (I believe it was Men's Journal or Men's Health) and they mentioned 5-HTP as a good supplement for assisting people with sleeplessness. This was the first I had ever even heard of it. Any thoughts from anyone familiar with this? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've used 5htp for about a year now. I used it to balance out my moods, I believe the active ingredient in it turns into seratonin when metabolized by the liver.
I've never heard of it used as a sleep aid, but I can see how it might help

***** 5 HTP is the metabolic precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin. Tryptophane, an essential amino acid, is metabolized into 5-HTP by the body. 5 HTP is in turn, converted into the neurotransmitter Serotonin. Serotonin is responsible for mood, hunger and sleep. Antidepressant drugs approved by the FDA, including selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRI's), are said to work by increasing the amount of serotonin available to the brain. 5 HTP, therefore, may for some individuals, serve as a natural alternative to some prescription SSRI type drugs.
(quoted above from a site)
Old 03-16-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've used both melatonin and 5-htp and got no results from either. Still can't sleep.