Notices

anxiety & sleep problems: pills vs no pills.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClayTheScribe View Post
Personally, I found I had to get on some sort of sleeping pattern, especially with work. I try to go to bed around 10 p.m.-midnight Sunday through Thursday and then maybe 1-2 a.m. on the weekends. My body needs some sort of regularity. I still have insomnia and I've taken Trazedone, Remeron and Ambien. Ambien works the best without making me feel too sleepy the next morning, but I think it's causing short-term memory loss and it's exacerbating my anxiety. So I also try to take Melatonin and it's suprisingly effective most of the time and is a fraction of the cost of the Ambien. I don't feel as much anxiety the next day. It also depends on what I eat before I go to bed. Foods with tryptophan like nuts and dairy are good. I try not to consume sugar right before I go to bed because then it keeps me up. I would look at your diet too carefully and talk to your GP and psychiatrist, though you may have to consult a nutritionist. That being said, a lot of it comes down to your mindset and how well you've calmed your mind before sleep. I try not to watch or read something that will get me excited or get my adrenal glands pumping like action or horror. Laugter does wonders. Meditation and deep breathing work sometimes as well.
Thanks Clay, Ive tried Ambien too but found that it made me really irritable the next day....im currently weaning off seroquel and on to Largactil, as im eating too much during the night on seroquel and it doesnt work that well anyhow. I think I will see a nutritionist to review my diet, I do eat way too much sugar.....in the meantime i'll try that smiling technique....lol.