Notices

Can anybody help??

Old 06-04-2007, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can anybody help??

I've had sleeping problems for pretty much all of my life (18 years) and i take far than the recommended dose of sleeping tablets a night to get to sleep. I know this is bad for my body but lately its started to catch up on me. I've just finished 6th form so i'm taking what i'd usually take at night but i'm sleeping for 14 hours straight.This in itself is a probem because my alarm will go off yet i can't physically wake up.
I really want to stop taking these tablets because i'm so dependent on them but i literally can't sleep without them. I've tried reducing the amount and altogether stop taking them but i can't sleep. I'm taking a mixture of zoplicone, zimbluduct (sp?), melatonin and aspirin a night.
Its bothering me because i have my exams in the next couple of weeks, i'm so scared of not sleeping or not waking up in the mornings, please if anyone can give me some advice i would be very grateful. I'm not expecting any medical advice or cures just need some general advice on what i should do. I can't really talk to anyone at home because they don't seem to understand what its like not sleeping and i don't have many friends so thats out of the question. Anything at all, i'm so desperate.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

this may seem over simplified but get a copy of "War and Peace" by Tolstory and start reading it at bed time. It is a very "thick" slow read and if you can stay awake for longer than a couple of pages when tired I would be really surprized.

I have found that nightmares for me often have a joke attached to them if I stay with the dream and think about it while awake there is almost always a message in it that makes me laugh. I look at my action in the dream am I running from something?, surprized by something?, what am I afraid of? If I take away the fear what is there? Once I started looking at them in this way they never again have had the power to make me fear sleep. Dreams even nightmares are just our sub conscience trying to ge us to look at something in us...
Old 06-04-2007, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't really have a problem with nightmares or dreams. Its getting asleep thats the problem and staying asleep. I've already read war and peace, had to do it at school but thanks for the advice.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Atlas Shrugged ? If Dick Reardons' 140 page speech at the end doesn't put your to sleep....

The Fountainhead ? Les Miserable ? IT ? Statistical Analysis ?

Seriously, you know the routine. Eat healthy, exercise, stick to a daily sleep routine (always go to sleep and wake at the same time, even on weekends). Don't try and "catch up" on sleep, don't take naps, avoid caffeine and alcohol, warm bath.....

I'm a recovering alcoholic and had insomnia the first 4 months of sobriety. The above worked for me, even the "itchy" stage.

Lastly, I once heard someone say "No ones ever died from lack of sleep"
Old 06-05-2007, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Thanks lol i do try to do that but it gets to the time i'm supposed to wake up yet the idea of trying to get more sleep is so much more tempting than waking up.

Whats the 'itchy' stage??

Also someone did die from lack of sleep, he didn't sleep for 6 months which caused him to catch pneumonia (sp?) did this in pyschology, although how someone can not sleep for 6 months seems impossible he surely must of got a few hours in.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would recommend seeing your doctor if you are taking large amounts of zopiclone. They will probably give you a taper schedule or maybe cross you over to valium and taper from there, depends on how much you take and how long you been using for.

I would say it is not stricly true that no one has dies from lack of sleep....Going extensive periods with no sleep can cause psychosis and depression, this could lead to suicide or other possible out comes.

Lack of sleep is serious for your brain.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ask a dr for remeron (mirtazepine). It will probably knock you out and is non addictive.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Use the non-addictive medicine and make up a story each time you´re in bed. Create a happy scenario, something you really want in life and stay with it. That´s the best sleep remedy I know.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I feel for you my mom said I came here screwed up Ive always been able to sleep when the suns up but never at night seems like I was on pernament swing shift I now take a sleeping pill its the only thing that gives me any type of normal sleep paterns I am not suggesting you go my way but I had tried all other ways this is what works for me good luck.