Notices

what other people would do to trade

Old 07-22-2004, 10:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Headed in the right direction.

Red face what other people would do to trade

I'm thankful for my opportunity to live a sober life. It isn't too late, thank god!

Sometimes I think, sadly, "Wow" when I hear about another person's misfortune, like being diagnosed with cancer, killing someone in a car crash, dying in a DUI car crash, forgetting their baby in a hot car, loosing a parent...on and on. Permanent things.

Then I think, about how fortunate I am to only have a drinking problem that I'm recovering from. What wouldn't those other people do to trade their problems for my small bit of flawed genetic chemestry. They can't change the bad things that have happened to them, only find the best way to deal with the tragedy.

While I can't change the past, I can change my future by making the right choices every day..by structuring my life so I am not drinking. I'M SO THANKFUL FOR THAT OPPORTUNITY. It is not too late. I have it pretty good.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I took a lot from what u said

Hiney
Old 07-23-2004, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Headed in the right direction.

I'd pay millions of dollars

Thanks for your thoughts.

I guess I just think of it like this:

If I were to stay on my old path of drinking and destruction, surely some major permanent damage would eventually happen. And then if I had done such major destruciton to my life or my family's life...wouldn't I then wish for a chance to go back and do it over, to take my opportunity to be sober. Well, that opportunity happens each minute, of each hour, RIGHT NOW for me.

In 5 years, 10 years etc. wouldn't I like to look back and say, wow, there are a lot of pitfalls I avoided and a lot of heartache, death and destruction I avoided by staying sober.

I cry everytime I think about the idea that I might have had to leave my baby in the cold dark morgue because of something I done drinking. I just can 't stand that thought. If that had happened to me, what would I be willing to pay to take it all back and get a "do over." Answer: I'd pay Millions of $$. Luckally that didn't happend. Pure luck. Each day is a new chance for me to AVOID that outcome. With a weird way of looking forward and then looking back, I have that "do over" opportunity all the time and I promise everyone, I will be successful and do the right thing.

Best wishes to everyone as you get your do-overs every day now too.