Notices

extremely grateful today! for everything!

Old 12-02-2003, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

extremely grateful today! for everything!

what a day!
i work in construction, in nyc. today was a heck of a day. cold, windy, we even had a short storm that whited everything out with snow.

i'm working on top of a new building going up, right on the hudson river, so when a front comes in the wind is very ferocious blowing down the river, with nothing but us to stop it.

it's very hard to control a crane in conditions like this and today was a prime example! they were trying to set the steel frame of a wall today when the wind took control, the frame swung free and headed right towards me as i was asendng the ladder to the deck. i didn't see it. if another worker hadn't been there to deflect it i would've ben hit. kind makes you go hmmmmm?

later on in the day the crane was lifting wooden boxes that will later be the columns that hold up the floors, the wind took it and it was twirling out of control like pinwheel. it was pretty hairy to watch because we all knew what could happen, there are people down below!

the operator tried to crash the boxes to the deck in order to gain control again, very dangerous move, and when he did he almost lost the load. one of the slings started to slip. he picked the load again and three workers tried to grab it before it could start swinging again. but they were lifted off the deck and let go falling back down
as they did the operator dropped the load again and it almost crushed two of them!

the crane was shut down after that.

i'm grateful to be alive today, i was grateful to have the wind fel like razors as it blew through my clothing. it actually felt good today! i'm grateful no-one was hurt today on my job. i'm also grateful that maybe somelearned not to try and be heroes today!

i'm extremely grateful that the feelings that arose during these mishaps did not take over my thoughts and lead me to drinking tday, but the thought crossed my mind a few times!!!!!!!

i'm grateful i was able to stand atop this building today, howling back at the wind like a joyful lunatic, appreciating mother nature after a lesson in humbleness! i don't know how long this will last, nor do i care, but i have a new found appreciation for the simple things in life!

i'm grateful that today i believe my higher power (Howard), will show me new ways to appreciate these things if i forget about how i felt today.

i'm grateful that i'm aware of this and not just considering myself lucky!

signed,
grateful burntoutbill, who still has a rabbits foot keychain, (just in case)
Old 12-02-2003, 06:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

wow! what a day! i'm grateful you made it through unscathed and saw fit to share your graitude wit the rest of us.. teh most excitement I had here was chasing a mouse around with the cat. the field mice ere looking for warm places to hole up and the cats caught 2 since this mornin. Now he's crashed out in the recliner resting up for tonights huntin.