Long post—need wisdom and advice 🙏

Old 03-28-2024, 05:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long post—need wisdom and advice 🙏

Hi, I’m new here and have spent the past few days looking through this forum and these threads and it has given me the only peace I’ve had in days or weeks. Bc everyone here seems to “get it.” But questions keep coming up for me and I just need to work through it I guess. I hope I’m posting this correctly and if not, my apologies and feel free to instruct me accordingly.

7 years ago, I met a guy through a dating app living about an hour away and we had mutual acquaintances. I asked them about him and none knew him well, but had heard he’d been through a bad divorce several years prior and had a struggling construction business then, too, but seemed to be doing better. They gave him the green light as far as they knew. I was divorced with a 3 yo myself whose father was not involved much by choice and lived far away. Historically, I’m not the type that needs a partner to feel okay and actually enjoy being alone more than others.

The moment I began talking to this guy, fireworks started. Like fireworks I didn’t know even existed and that I’d never ever seen or felt before. We could have conversations that lasted hours, we finished each others thoughts and sentences from the first time we ever talked—it was crazy. We met, and it was even crazier in person. I fell hard for this guy and he seemed to do the same for me. He was wonderful with and to my son, spent so much quality time with him and didn’t ever seem to do anything “for show.” He was very genuine—wouldn’t always agree with you just for the hell of it, funny as hell without knowing or believing it, and just perfect for me.

It didnt take long for inconsistencies to begin, however. He was almost always late or delayed getting to my house, he said he saw his 2 kids from the divorce weekly but I never met them, and he said he lived alone on his parents’ property but I found out on my own that he actually lived with his parents (I confronted him anytime I found out things like this and always was accepting of the truth and encouraged him to not lie to me, etc. that I didn’t judge him for anything). Eventually I learned and/or he admitted that he didn’t see his kids due to his ex wife having taken them from him when legal trouble with his construction company (theft by deception he was found guilty a few years before I learned, for supposedly taking 30k on a home his company was building). At that point I scoured his criminal history, and it was the only thing on it. He had a story for that too, that basically it had been a misunderstanding…I of course am not stupid and assumed maybe hard times happened and he was clearly regretful and ashamed and so I didn’t press it.

Long story shorter, I found out on my own due to evidence, that he was using drugs after we had been together almost a year. Small things led me there as time progressed. He denied it at first, but not with great fervor. Finally he told me the truth about it when he left his iPad behind one day when he went to work and I was able to view some of his text messages from it via snooping (not proud of it but I was going crazy over nothing adding up and was desperate for real answers)—bc he couldn’t deny that kind of proof. His drug of choice was cocaine but he told me it all began simultaneously w the demise of his business and marriage, after he became hooked on opioids after knee surgery a few years prior. I met his parents, got to know them well, they were like grandparents to my 3 yo child. We would go spend weekends there often. I saw so many photos and artwork from his kids around the house and his parents basically mourned the loss of their grandkids whom they’d been extremely close with, and they were not happy and blamed the ex wife for “taking them away” while he was in jail for the theft charges a few years prior. There were albums in an ottoman of pictures of him and his kids covering years and years. They had been 4 and 7 last time he saw them a few years prior. The pictures showed me what kind of father he was—doting, loving, and loved by them. He also looked clean cut in them and different—more like a businessman on vacation.

I tried for two more years to live with him and get him off drugs, told him I did not want them in my house and to not come if he was high. He lied, of course, but he never let me catch him with them in my home. But he would create arguments and fights and leave frequently in the heat of things, leaving me baffled and confused and sad and scrambling to understand and get him back. The mindf****** was real and it messed me up big time. I became pregnant, miscarried while he was gone during one fight, and then became pregnant again. Shortly after this, he was arrested and I found out there had been a warrant out for him for a year for cashing a customer’s (he ran a lawn care company at this time) check twice. I was devastated, gutted, and felt betrayed. I talked to him for a while as he waited in jail, but his frequent calls asking for money after money after money when I was a struggling single mom myself, eventually wore me down. He would still start fights w me on and off as well and get very cold and not care what he said. He never did get physical with me nor did he ever try. But the mind games were like nothing I’ve ever experienced before or after. I finally cut off communication w him.

our daughter was born in 2019. He was out of jail then and we spoke for the first time and I told him he could come see her if he was not high, as I didn’t know where he was w all that but he said he was stable. I told him if he came high, I wouldn’t allow it ever again. He came and literally could not stay awake the entire weekend. It was like he had been drugged but he was clearly coming off of something. I tried to help him as always, but his lies were too much with a new baby present now too. I cut off contact again. I didn’t speak to him for the next 4-5 years. I found out via the internet that he failed to appear in court on something and was rearrested. Shortly after he came to see our child, I had blocked him bc he wouldn’t leave me alone and was clearly on something big time. He was so cold and just mean and bitter and wouldn’t stop with the hits at me I was scared. A few weeks later he was arrested with marijuana in his vehicle. He failed to appear again and ultimately similar actions landed him in actual prison, not jail, for a little over a year.

I tried to block him out of my mind but never fully could. It didn’t help that our daughter is the spitting image of him with the same beautiful curls and brown eyes as him, but mostly she acts just like all the good parts of him, and has his fearlessness, straightforwardness, stubbornness, and the surprising sensitivity underneath it all that he has too. Knowing her almost I felt made me know him better too. I spent many nights wondering if he was okay, praying desperately for him and his sobriety and for another chance for him. About twice a year over those 5 years, he would reach out. I didn’t trust myself to ever answer, and convinced myself of why I had to stay away, and I just did it. I never dated during those 5 years. No one understood, not even myself really. But deep down I knew I would never fully get over him, would never be okay with the loss of him. The few dates or people I did try talking to romantically didn’t hold a candle to him when he was sober or high honestly, in terms of conversation, relatability etc. I just would rather be alone than to fake it as they say. But still I never answered him.

Last year, my daughter started asking about her dad more and more frequently. I’d told her he was unwell and was getting help with that and that he had to be well to be a good father to her and wanted to be well, but it had to happen first. When he was lucid the weekend he met her as a baby, he was mesmerized by her and in awe of her. She all on her own began saving different trinkets (collected rocks, drawings, etc) for him and asked me to put them somewhere safe for “when I can finally see my dad.” She told me her wishes for that. It broke my heart into pieces, bc those were deep down my wishes as well.

Two months ago, after 5 years, he reached out to me on Facebook. Just a short simple I hope you and the kids are doing well I think of you often etc. and I hope you’re okay. I would love to hear from you but also understand why you wouldn’t want to talk to me and that’s okay. I found out he had recently gotten out of rehab, five months prior and had been sober for 6 months. I replied back, for the first time in 5 years. He was 100% not the same guy. He used to swear he was laid back and it was drugs that made him seem the opposite. Well I finally saw that laid back guy. It was hard to believe it was really him. He was rational, clear headed, very informed about addiction and treatments and in NA two or 3x a week, had a sponsor, tried to help others etc. His mom corroborated all of this and his dad had passed two years prior and he was now at his mom’s house. His mom is feisty and not the lying type—she has never wavered from expecting him to walk the line and gives tough love and never used to allow him at her house when he was on drugs or using at all. So hearing it from her was good news. He said as awful as prison was (I think he has ptsd from it and should still be in therapy for several reasons including recovery), he needed it and it woke him up like nothing else could ever have. But that he’d die before messing up and going back again.

We talked every night on the phone, often for hours. He was the best version of himself I had ever known. Still the same funny guy and the same in all the good ways, but the toxicity and mood swings were gone. Just totally gone. We texted throughout the day on and off. He is set to get off probation in 3 months and had been in therapy since he got home up until January when he stopped going and continued with NA etc. bc he told me he felt stable now to do that. After a month of talking nightly and me seeing him without the kids around several times, drug testing him first every single time and him willingly taking the tests while I watched, saying he would do whatever it took and had missed me for years and was so apologetic and just grateful I would ever give him a chance. After a month of consistency, I let him “meet” his daughter again. He was overjoyed to see my son as well and my son acted happier than I’ve seen him in a long time to see him again too. My daughter was over the moon and adored him. He adored her even more and was just picture perfect . I felt like my prayers came true.

Within 3 weeks, he was acting sketchy and would disappear during text convos suddenly, not call me at night saying he fell asleep, etc. Two weeks ago, the kids were at school and he came over and his pupils were dilated as heck and he seemed anxious and edgy. I mentioned to him my concerns and he stood up quickly and said he felt like he was going to have a panic attack. He said he’d been having horrible anxiety and this was all too much for him. That he loves me and loves my kids, and wants to be there for his child and me, but that me constantly worrying and waiting for the ball to drop dredged up old things that he was trying to move past and could hinder his sobriety if things didn’t change. Basically, that I was expecting perfection from him. This from a man who 2 months ago told me he knew he was stable and wouldn’t have reached out this time if he wasn’t, and had no doubts about it and that I deserved him showing me everyday how sorry he was and that he wanted to show me everyday. Well he stood up and snapped at me. In a blink, it was like the old drug addict him was back. He looked at the time and said oh I have to go I have to report to my probation officer before they close today. And just like that he left before he could take the drug test he knew I had for him to take.

I have expressed since then my fears to him that he is using again and why I think that. I have begged him for the truth bc everyday becomes more and more like old times. The consistency I saw steadily and daily the first month and a half where he passed every drug test he took every single time I saw him, has become nothing now. He won’t reply back to texts all day long and normally at night never calls me and if I call him he doesn’t answer and the next day says he fell asleep. The more disillusioned I’ve become, the more distant he’s become. He was begging to FaceTime our daughter every night if he hasn’t seen her that day, and was consistent with that still. Up until 3 days ago when out of nowhere he texted me (we have talked for months about how bad it was that we used to text about important issues vs. calling or talking in person, and he hasn’t resorted to texting about anything like this until now) saying he didn’t think he could be around me around our child bc my lack of follow through in the disciplinary realm with her was troubling to him and he didn’t think he deserved to have an opinion due to his absence all these years, but it was too hard to sit by and watch. I was gutted. That night for the first time, he didn’t answer her FaceTime call. He said the next day he fell asleep. I have called this all out kindly and walking on eggshells as I used to again. Not really knowing what’s happening, or not wanting to believe it. His laid back-ness is totally gone and he lashes out at me over text, refuses to call. He had sent me his location or shared it early on bc he wanted me to know (I told him it wasn’t necessary, he offered it up and insisted) with confidence he was where he said he was and needed to build trust for me. Well, he promptly stopped sharing that 3 days ago. When I asked why he said it had only led to problems and me questioning him more and that was going to threaten his sobriety.

Used to, any fight we had which he usually initiated, he would be blowing me up within hours. like nonstop via text usually but also calls at times. This time, I’ve barely heard anything from him. I tried to reply back and asked him to call since we had formerly said how texting important stuff is a bad idea. Nothing. I gave him ideas and solutions going forward and he already knows I feel I’m a bad disciplinarian and let our daughter off the hook too easily. I’ve told him repeatedly how nice it is to have her father around and how validating it is for me to have another parent like himself, there to let me know I’m doing the right thing or offer suggestions which I’ve followed if I thought appropriate. He says I haven’t and that I’m doing her a disservice and should change my parenting “immediately.” But it’s not that easy. And the sober version of him would never ever say any of these things. We had Easter lunch planned for the first time in years that his mom has even done anything since his dad passed; we were going to come, my daughter was going to get to meet her first cousins for the first time. I bought her a dress and she’s talked about it daily this week. Now, I’m pretty sure he’s blocked my number from his mom’s and we won’t get to go. All bc he can’t live without starting fights with me over anything he can think of.

Is there anything I can do to help get through to him? I know he has to choose for himself, but what could I do to help snap him out of it? Texting him a ton doesn’t help it just pushes him away. Ignoring him has historically helped but I don’t want to play games with this either. He didn’t answer my daughter’s calls the last 2 nights either. Then at 10 last night I get a text saying “she can call me anytime I usually hear my phone.” Like what?? I mean you didn’t the last 3 nights. Do I talk to his mom somehow and tell her to please make sure he’s okay? If he found out he would be so upset. But I just need to know what to do. Any advice appreciated. Do you think he will come back around? Should I tell him unless he goes to rehab I don’t want to see him if he does?
Old 03-28-2024, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello awent,

Sometimes when we have lost our sanity because of our involvement with an addict and need some rational thinking, it is good to simplify the story. Here is his and yours:

HIM five years ago:
Disappearing
Not Responding
Lost His Kids
Stealing
Opioids
Cocaine
Jail

HIM later:
Stealing AGAIN
Lying AGAIN
Arrested AGAIN
Jailed AGAIN

Years go by.

TWO MONTHS AGO:
He is "sober" for SIX MONTHS and you take him back into your life.

He is "consistent" with you for ONE MONTH.

The SECOND MONTH:
He is:
Acting sketchy.
Edgy.
Snapping at you.
Pupils are dilated.
And he is saying to you:
"I love you BUT....you are constantly worrying and watching....." "I don't think I can be around you because of your lack of...." "You should change your parenting immediately..."
And he's blocked your number.

And today you are wondering:
HOW CAN I HELP HIM.

Yes. The answer to your last question is Yes. Unless he goes to rehab you do not want to see him. That is a start.

But you must get well yourself. Clear your head. Take a serious look at your codependency. Get back on track. Face some hard realities.

I am always constantly amazed by how skilled addicts are at bringing their significant others to their knees. Destroying their sense of self-worth. Violating every aspect of their lives.

You were doing well before you re-opened your life to him. You can retrieve the old solid life and safety your children once had. But you will have to want that more than you want him.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LucyIntheGarden View Post
Hello awent,

Sometimes when we have lost our sanity because of our involvement with an addict and need some rational thinking, it is good to simplify the story. Here is his and yours:

HIM five years ago:
Disappearing
Not Responding
Lost His Kids
Stealing
Opioids
Cocaine
Jail

HIM later:
Stealing AGAIN
Lying AGAIN
Arrested AGAIN
Jailed AGAIN

Years go by.

TWO MONTHS AGO:
He is "sober" for SIX MONTHS and you take him back into your life.

He is "consistent" with you for ONE MONTH.

The SECOND MONTH:
He is:
Acting sketchy.
Edgy.
Snapping at you.
Pupils are dilated.
And he is saying to you:
"I love you BUT....you are constantly worrying and watching....." "I don't think I can be around you because of your lack of...." "You should change your parenting immediately..."
And he's blocked your number.

And today you are wondering:
HOW CAN I HELP HIM.

Yes. The answer to your last question is Yes. Unless he goes to rehab you do not want to see him. That is a start.

But you must get well yourself. Clear your head. Take a serious look at your codependency. Get back on track. Face some hard realities.

I am always constantly amazed by how skilled addicts are at bringing their significant others to their knees. Destroying their sense of self-worth. Violating every aspect of their lives.

You were doing well before you re-opened your life to him. You can retrieve the old solid life and safety your children once had. But you will have to want that more than you want him.

Wow—thank you so much. This is so insightful to me, and your simplification really does help make it more clear. That last paragraph made me stop and really think. You’re right. How messed up is it that I even have to think about which one I want more? In my head, I guess I truly think that I’ve “suffered” the last 5 years alone and cut off contact like I knew I should. And it didn’t help me get over him. It couldn’t make me stop wondering and worrying how he was. I feel like he was so close this time to being that wonderful sober man and father.

Do you think he’s right, and the pressure I put on him this time of “waiting for the ball to drop” and assuming the worst, drove him to use again? I can’t keep from asking myself this throughout the day each day. Did my actions aid in helping him relapse? Is the moral thing for me to do to tell his mom, or talk to her? I’m positive she has no clue. I think their relationship has changed a good deal since his dad passed and she is much more dependent on him to help keep the land up etc and probably a lot less likely to hold his feet to the fire without some hard evidence. And he does well to keep any of that away from her. I have lost a boyfriend in high school to suicide when he was on a drug binge. Another close friend who had gotten bad into drugs was lost four years later. The weekend he killed himself I drove past his parents’ cabin where he was staying and *almost* stopped and didn’t. He killed himself that night. While I’ve learned that none of this was my fault, that you can’t save them if they don’t want to be saved, I would be lying to say I don’t wonder if things could have been different had I tried harder to intervene. I mostly believe they wouldn’t have been. But I still wonder. I can’t lose this man the same way, it would literally destroy me in a special way and would haunt me forever.

Do you think I should let her (his mom) know? He hasn’t blocked me from his phone, but I think he has blocked my number from his mom’s phone for that very reason. Do you think there is anything I could say or do that would even remotely encourage him to save himself and snap out of it? I know I sound like a lunatic. And you’re right that addicts can really mess up their SOs. I know I need therapy but I don’t have insurance and went for a little while but I got to where I couldn’t afford it anymore.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, it's easy during a five year period of separation to romanticize the sweet moments. But this is very dangerous to do if the person is a drug addict.

Addicts of all kinds consistently place the blame for their using on OTHERS, and almost without exception, they will blame their wives, girlfriends, husbands, boyfriends. It is a magic trick. It is a decoy. It is how the addict gains power and control over the partner. And it is abuse.

You did not drive him to use. One way you can get well is to read about drug addiction, the changes that occur in the brain itself, so that you understand this is what creates drug seeking. Girlfriends and wives and kids and bosses and money problems and car troubles or any other aspect of normal human experience do not drive drug addicts to use. His brain has been physically altered. There are now permanent pathways in his brain which are lighting up all over the place driving his drug seeking. You have not one thing to do with it.

If you contact his mother, you will be doing it in an attempt to control outcomes, which is what codependents do. "Maybe if I do this, the thing I think would be best will happen." The reality for his mother is that her son is an non-recovering actively using drug addict.She is an adult and her adult responsibility will be to face this reality one way or another.

You have given yourself too much power in a situation in which you are powerless. There is no intervening. You have lost two young friends to drug addiction and in your mind you are thinking "But maybe someone did not intervene in the right way?"

If this man dies, it will be from addiction, which is a physical and psychological illness over which you have no power.

And you may be thinking "But he has to be saved!" The truth is, he loves it. He loves using. He can't wait. He doesn't want you to save him. He wants to live with his mom who will enable him and he wants you to go away. And the kids.

That is why he said you are bugging him and that's why he said you are a bad mother. It's how he gets you out of his way and he WANTS you out of his way.

I would block him and his mother.

And go online and find the nearest Al-Anon meeting and place yourself there, if you can, once a week minimum. This is free codependency recovery.

I'm sorry if my words are a bit blunt. But your children are at risk if he is the one in charge of your life and happiness and mental health. They need a grounded, clear-eyed mom.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, it's easy during a five year period of separation to romanticize the sweet moments. But this is very dangerous to do if the person is a drug addict.

Addicts of all kinds consistently place the blame for their using on OTHERS, and almost without exception, they will blame their wives, girlfriends, husbands, boyfriends. It is a magic trick. It is a decoy. It is how the addict gains power and control over the partner. And it is abuse.

You did not drive him to use. One way you can get well is to read about drug addiction, the changes that occur in the brain itself, so that you understand this is what creates drug seeking. Girlfriends and wives and kids and bosses and money problems and car troubles or any other aspect of normal human experience do not drive drug addicts to use. His brain has been physically altered. There are now permanent pathways in his brain which are lighting up all over the place driving his drug seeking. You have not one thing to do with it.

If you contact his mother, you will be doing it in an attempt to control outcomes, which is what codependents do. "Maybe if I do this, the thing I think would be best will happen." The reality for his mother is that her son is an non-recovering actively using drug addict.She is an adult and her adult responsibility will be to face this reality one way or another.

You have given yourself too much power in a situation in which you are powerless. There is no intervening. You have lost two young friends to drug addiction and in your mind you are thinking "But maybe someone did not intervene in the right way?"

If this man dies, it will be from addiction, which is a physical and psychological illness over which you have no power.

And you may be thinking "But he has to be saved!" The truth is, he loves it. He loves using. He can't wait. He doesn't want you to save him. He wants to live with his mom who will enable him and he wants you to go away. And the kids.

That is why he said you are bugging him and that's why he said you are a bad mother. It's how he gets you out of his way and he WANTS you out of his way.

I would block him and his mother.

And go online and find the nearest Al-Anon meeting and place yourself there, if you can, once a week minimum. This is free codependency recovery.

I'm sorry if my words are a bit blunt. But your children are at risk if he is the one in charge of your life and happiness and mental health. They need a grounded, clear-eyed mom.

You’re right. I don’t feel that he is the one in charge of my mental health or life by any means, but my happiness has certainly suffered a lot lately. Is AA interchangeable with NA? Is it acceptable for me to go to an AA meeting if I’m not an addict myself and if the ex wasn’t an alcoholic?—just wanting to clarify so I know going in. Thanks again for your advice.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So glad you asked so I could clarify!

Al-Anon is a 12-step support group for friends and family of alcoholics. Nar-Anon is for friends and family of narcotics addicts. Al-Anon has more local meetings usually and friends/family of drug addicts are also welcome to these meetings. The recovery approach for friends/family is mostly the same. You can google al-anon.org or nar-anon and find meetings in your town. I'm sorry, don't have exact web addresses at hand.

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is for anyone who wants to stop drinking using the 12-Step program which began many decades ago. Narcotics Anonymous (NA) is for anyone who wants to stop using drugs. So these groups are not for you, though some meetings are "Open" to anyone who might want to attend to learn more about addiction recovery. As well there is CA, which is Cocaine Anonymous.

All of these 12-Step programs generally meet in rooms rented in churches or community centers, etc.

There are other recovery programs as well for addicts and their families. These are the most widely available.

You can also attend virtual Al-Anon and Nar-Anon meetings, there will be links on the group websites. But at the in-person meeting, you will have access to several free pamphlets as well as books about recovery.

If you wish to start by simply reading at home, you can order through Amazon or other online bookstores the book "Codependent No More" by Melodie Beattie and other books on codependent recovery. I also very much like "Getting Them Sober" by Toby Rice Drews, a book which is addressed to spouses of alcoholics primarily, but also applies to anyone affected by someone in active addiction.

Just one more note: please keep in mind that some substances are extremely dangerous if TOUCHED by a child. Or is even in the atmosphere of a room, if I understand correctly. I am not well-educated about this, but I am pretty sure it is fentanyl which is most dangerous in a child's environment and fentanyl is now commonly mixed into cocaine, heroin, and other forms of narcotics.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So glad you asked so I could clarify!

Al-Anon is a 12-step support group for friends and family of alcoholics. Nar-Anon is for friends and family of narcotics addicts. Al-Anon has more local meetings usually and friends/family of drug addicts are also welcome to these meetings. The recovery approach for friends/family is mostly the same. You can google al-anon.org or nar-anon and find meetings in your town. I'm sorry, don't have exact web addresses at hand.

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is for anyone who wants to stop drinking using the 12-Step program which began many decades ago. Narcotics Anonymous (NA) is for anyone who wants to stop using drugs. So these groups are not for you, though some meetings are "Open" to anyone who might want to attend to learn more about addiction recovery. As well there is CA, which is Cocaine Anonymous.

All of these 12-Step programs generally meet in rooms rented in churches or community centers, etc.

There are other recovery programs as well for addicts and their families. These are the most widely available.

You can also attend virtual Al-Anon and Nar-Anon meetings, there will be links on the group websites. But at the in-person meeting, you will have access to several free pamphlets as well as books about recovery.

If you wish to start by simply reading at home, you can order through Amazon or other online bookstores the book "Codependent No More" by Melodie Beattie and other books on codependent recovery. I also very much like "Getting Them Sober" by Toby Rice Drews, a book which is addressed to spouses of alcoholics primarily, but also applies to anyone affected by someone in active addiction.

Just one more note: please keep in mind that some substances are extremely dangerous if TOUCHED by a child. Or is even in the atmosphere of a room, if I understand correctly. I am not well-educated about this, but I am pretty sure it is fentanyl which is most dangerous in a child's environment and fentanyl is now commonly mixed into cocaine, heroin, and other forms of narcotics.
Thank you for clarifying! He doesn’t live with me and I am very careful to constantly look around and see if I see anything when he has visited. However, before he came the first time he sent me money and I ordered 25 all encompassing drug tests from Amazon, and he has taken and passed one every time he has entered my home except for the last time he was here, because he was mostly outside and I could tell by looking at him he was on something and confronted him and he left. At the time it was important to him for him to pay to make it happen (I didn’t trust him to buy them or anything due to the past I wanted to know they were legit etc) bc he wanted me to know he was clean. Funny how quickly that changes. He knows that taking and passing a drug test with me watching is mandatory to be in my home with my kids.

I was very stupid the first go round with him and have learned that without a drug test being passed every single time, I was only relying on his “word” in the past which is meaningless. So, I don’t think he has had drugs in my home because he tested negative when he was here visiting. And if he had them, I’m positive he would not be able to not be actively doing them. I could be wrong, and always looked carefully anyway. I’m not sure about the others but I know Fentanyl for sure I’ve read is dangerous to even touch.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

From what you describe, I don't see how you could have been more conscientious, and it still didn't stop him from using.
There are people you can help, and that's you and your children.
And believe it or not you are helping, maybe even "saving" someone that might be reading your story and is in a similar situation. My situation is not identical by any means but every time I start to think, my addict is not so bad, maybe he'll be all better some day or maybe I didn't do enough, or what should I tell his parents-- any doubt I have, reading the stories of others grounds me and lets me know an addicts future is never assured -- and it is never the fault of their loved ones. I worry a lot about the day my little one ask questions about his dad. I guess I will have to deal with it when the time comes. It is important for me to read stories about there being an apparent gap of sobriety followed by a relapse so I can remind myself it's a possibility, really a likelihood.

As confusing as it is for the children of an absent addict, every time that bothers me I think back to how it was when he was here and how it would affect my child to witness the abuse (from subtle mind games to outright physical, all of that would be so terrible for a child) and just the confusion that comes with an addicts up and down behavior when little ones kind of need a solid routine. It did a number on me, I just can't imagine what it would do to a developing child. Think of how the things that happened to your friends when you were young still affect you. These things take a lifetime to process.

I guess I'm "gun-shy" now, but I just want to say, you mentioned there was abuse but it never got physical. I never thought the "mind****s" and verbal abuse would become a physical threat until they did. And I also want to say, don't downplay the other stuff just because he didn't physically hurt you. There is always a risk of that. If there is a risk of him dying, you don't want that to occur near your child. And addicts can be incredibly inventive with using/hiding drugs, thats another risk, drugs in your home. Because they can also be forgetful. When I was packing up my ex's things he swore he hadn't kept anything in the house since the baby was born but in the same sentence said if I found any powder or residue not to touch it! You can't stop him from using but you can stop him from coming around.

It's so strange what ends up bothering you. Obviously the overt maltreatment and fighting bothered me but when he pushed me away or gave me the silent treatment it hurt more for some reason. I also feel like I will never date ever ever EVER again and Ive always preferred to be alone and have my freedom or whatever, but sometimes this idea that I was with this person, and now I'm alone, is just agonizing even though I was more unhappy with him! I understand your conflicted feelings. I wish you the best
Old 03-29-2024, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Swedechef2;8041289]From what you describe, I don't see how you could have been more conscientious, and it still didn't stop him from using.
There are people you can help, and that's you and your children.
And believe it or not you are helping, maybe even "saving" someone that might be reading your story and is in a similar situation. My situation is not identical by any means but every time I start to think, my addict is not so bad, maybe he'll be all better some day or maybe I didn't do enough, or what should I tell his parents-- any doubt I have, reading the stories of others grounds me and lets me know an addicts future is never assured -- and it is never the fault of their loved ones. I worry a lot about the day my little one ask questions about his dad. I guess I will have to deal with it when the time comes. It is important for me to read stories about there being an apparent gap of sobriety followed by a relapse so I can remind myself it's a possibility, really a likelihood.

As confusing as it is for the children of an absent addict, every time that bothers me I think back to how it was when he was here and how it would affect my child to witness the abuse (from subtle mind games to outright physical, all of that would be so terrible for a child) and just the confusion that comes with an addicts up and down behavior when little ones kind of need a solid routine. It did a number on me, I just can't imagine what it would do to a developing child. Think of how the things that happened to your friends when you were young still affect you. These things take a lifetime to process.

I guess I'm "gun-shy" now, but I just want to say, you mentioned there was abuse but it never got physical. I never thought the "mind****s" and verbal abuse would become a physical threat until they did. And I also want to say, don't downplay the other stuff just because he didn't physically hurt you. There is always a risk of that. If there is a risk of him dying, you don't want that to occur near your child. And addicts can be incredibly inventive with using/hiding drugs, thats another risk, drugs in your home. Because they can also be forgetful. When I was packing up my ex's things he swore he hadn't kept anything in the house since the baby was born but in the same sentence said if I found any powder or residue not to touch it! You can't stop him from using but you can stop him from coming around.

It's so strange what ends up bothering you. Obviously the overt maltreatment and fighting bothered me but when he pushed me away or gave me the silent treatment it hurt more for some reason. I also feel like I will never date ever ever EVER again and Ive always preferred to be alone and have my freedom or whatever, but sometimes this idea that I was with this person, and now I'm alone, is just agonizing even though I was more unhappy with him! I understand your conflicted feelings. I wish you the best. [QUOTE=Swedechef2;8041289]

Wow, thank you so so much. You are so kind and understanding and it’s nice to know that I’m not crazy. That other people feel like this too. You’re so right—about the risk of him dying even in front of the kids and all the other stuff too. And thank you for making me aware that just bc he’s never been physically violent doesn’t mean it can’t suddenly begin. That’s important for me to know and remember. I’m glad you are smart and staying away and have good boundaries. I have to work on that.