Some facts about addiction

Old 03-05-2024, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some facts about addiction

Hello Friends and Family,

I think it helps those whose hearts have been broken by an addicted loved one to pause their question of WHY (.....won't he stop, won't he be kind, won't he be responsible...) and take time to gather some scientific facts about addiction. I think it helps heal some of the hurt.

I read an article by Dr. Nora Volkow today, an addiction scientist who is head of the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

She shared facts about relapse:
Cues in a person's daily routine or environment that have become linked with drug use because of changes to the reward circuit can trigger uncontrollable cravings whenever the person is exposed to these cues, even if the drug itself is not available. This learned reflex can last a long time, even in people who haven't used drugs in many years. For example, people who have been drug-free for a decade can experience cravings when returning to the old neighborhood or house where they used drugs. Like riding a bike, the brain remembers.

Science has taught us that stress cues linked to drug use (people, places, things and moods) and contact with drugs [this would include surgery] are the most common triggers for relapse.

About treatments she said:
Research shows that when treating addiction to opioids, medication should be the first line of treatment, usually combined with some form of therapy.

Detoxification alone without subsequent treatment is not sufficient to help a person recover.

For people with addictions to stimulants or cannabis, no medications are currently available for treatment, so behavioral therapies are used.

Medications for opioid addiction are: Methadone, Buprenorphine, Extended-release Naloxone, Lofexidine.
Medications for alcohol addiction are: Naltrexone, Disulfram, Acamprosate

She also added that 12-Step programs provide complementary support to these treatments, based on acceptance, surrender, and active involvement in recovery.

I am not sure when this article was published, and perhaps there are new treatments now available.

I'm posting excerpts from the article not to encourage anyone to chase down their addicted loved one and try to force sobriety. It won't work. Nor am I sharing what was in this article to convince anyone how addiction should be addressed and treated.

Our work is on ourselves, on helping ourselves regain good mental health and self-direction. Learning about addiction can be one part of our getting better and clearer. I think that the more we learn about addiction, the more we let go. We are powerless over alcohol and drugs.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good post. A refresher for some and new information to the others especially those just starting to look for information.

Mentioning the 12 step is so important because until the addict or alcoholic wants to change they wont. They must really really want it. That is the key. They might need help and fail a few times but if they really want to change and get sober they will. Most won't do it for family, friends or a court. If they succeed it's because they really wanted it.