Broken heart - is he trying?

Old 02-18-2022, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Broken heart - is he trying?

*I live in Canada where weed is legal

I’ve very recently (last days) left the man I love because he is addicted to pot. He’s 29, I’m 26. We’ve been together 1.5 years but we are both strongly attached to one another and have been living together for 1 year.

He comes from a family of heavy cannabis users. When I met him I didn’t realize what addiction to pot was all about. I come from a much more upper-middle class family. Just like his family still does, when I met him he smoked heavily (+6 joints/day) and he tells me I helped him a lot reduce as now he only smokes 1.5 joints/day – sometimes less…

We had a few couples therapy sessions. On the last one, both the therapist, him and I came to the conclusion that although we both really and deeply loved each other – both our limits were clear and adequate but also incompatible.

I want him to be sober and, he does want to stop being addicted, but not to stop smoking weed completely. Indeed, he wants to be able to smoke now and then – for special occasions and so on…

Although I am not against smoking pot, (I’ve smoked it and see it as ok recreationnaly when ppl don’t abuse or are addicted to it). Plus, it is legal, here, in Canada.

But, his smoking habits make me feel insecure and anxious about our plans for the future. He has a steady job and he is reliable, but still, I can’t help it – he is addicted to it.

Specifically, the idea of having that type of behavior/addiction around my future children makes me uneasy. It is not in my values and I don’t want to make light of it, especially in front of my own (future – lol) children. This has a high importance to me as having children has been my most important goal in life, I work with children and I know I must seek to have the best tools/support system/influences to attempt this incredible challenge that is motherhood.

He is ready to stop smoking in front of me and at my house. He says, he would never do it in front of our children (but how about his family members? When we would visit 2-3 times/year). Since our breakup, he even has stopped smoking for more than a week (he’s never done that since he’s been 16 y.o)… Nevertheless, he isn’t ok with the idea of stopping weed forever.

Thus, we are now broken up. He is desperately in love with me and I am in love with him too. It is extremely hard to let go and even stop texting – although we both are aware that it is over. He wishes he had different values, I me too, but we are stuck!

BTW I am not asking him to stop cold-turkey at all, but since he does agree he is addicted and because he feels he has “lost me” due to his addiction; he wants to “stop being addicted” and as taken on the project for stopping it all together for a month (while living at his heavy smoking dad’s house) but can’t get his head around the idea of long-term sobriety.
​​​​
I am really not sure this is the way to go, but I am still very attached. I know, I could get better looking, healthier, richer, non-addicted to weed men easily… But those things don’t matter to me as much as he does.

Am I not being trusting enough/ am I too demanding?

Is my expectation for abstinence adequate?
he did come a long way...
​​​​​​
What are your thoughts about this?
Old 02-18-2022, 08:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, and welcome.
I don’t know a lot about pot addiction, other than it exists.
That he is aware and would like to stop is a good thing.
Please define your boundaries, i.e. wean away from pot and, hard as it is when it’s someone you love a lot, and stick to them.
Addiction is addiction. No one should live their life with it.
very good luck and peace to you.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Rajaa.......I would like to commend you for recognizing this Major conflict in the relationship for what it is. Especially, now, before any further commitments have/had been made.
The behaviors that are seen in addiction are usually only the tip of the iceberg, regarding a person's issues, Meaning, that the addiction is a way of dealing with deeper issues and coping with the feelings that are produced. Often, a person may have begun the substance use, but, at a certain point the person crosses the line into actual Addiction---due to the neurological changes in the brain, and, then the Addiction becomes a life long issue. The only way that the person can manage the powerful pull of the substance is a committment to life long abstainence and strenuously following a program---such as Narcotics Anonymous and individual therapy for any specific co-occurring disorders
For the addicted one---this is a long period of work---and needs a very strong commitment to a life style of abstinence. Not just a few weeks---but, years.

It is the fondest dream of every addict----alcoholic or drug addicted---is to do CONTROLLED use of the substance. Usually, they will try various ways to try to "prove" to themelves, and others that they can do it in a controlled way. Invariably, this does not work. Any use of the substance causes the brain to crave more. Sometimes, the person can go for periods of time without the substance---but, eventually, in a period of vulnerability or stress of some king, the relapse occurs. If the person is not in a strenuous program of sobriety---such as Narcotics Anonymous, etc., the hidden part of the iceberg are still there----issuing the "siren call".
Untreated, addiction to alcohol and drugs is progressive in nature---meaning that it gets worse over time.

Ending a relationship with someone that you have bonded with is incredible excruciatingly painful. Especially in the early days---and it is necessary to grieve a relationship that one has put themselves into. It takes it's own time, and the brokenhearted needs a lot of support while going through it. Time and space helps a lot.
I think that one has to be willing to go through the short-term pain to get to the long-term gain.

I agree with you that, since motherhood is so important to you---you have made a wise (if painful) decision. It is no favor to a child to give him/her an active addict as a father. Even if not active, the prospect of future relapse is always there.
lol...it is my own experience that anything that is a conflict before marriage, has a tendency to be ten times worse after marriage.

Rajaa...I sincerely hope that you will hang around this forum and continue to post---as this is a place of mutual support and compassionate understanding.

I highly suggest that you go to the forum that is at the very bottom of the whole Sober Recovery website and find the forum called "The Best of Sober Recovery". It has a ton of wonderful articles on this subject that I think you will really benefit from!
Check it out.

Old 02-19-2022, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The priority is the children. The drug use is a problem/issue. And once sober the user will act differently. behavior, Attitudes, emotions and decisions will be different.

Seeking help advice and therapy is a good thing. Partial change like not smoking around the children is harder than it seems. Until an addict really wants to change on their own and not for someone else even a court they won't. They need motivation from with in to stay sober.

Being in your 20s I'd make the big push now for change because the older one gets the harder change gets period. If it's pretty obvious things won't work out it's best.you move on now.

The children and your safety and well being come first .

Good luck
Old 02-19-2022, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Rajaa,
I think you know what is best for you to do, it's just painful making the break.
You don't want a life tainted by addiction, and most certainly, it's not the kind of world to bring children into.
No one would choose this lifestyle. You have had your eyes fully opened - keep them wide open, and keep what you DON'T want, foremost in your mind.
Much Love
Bute x
Old 02-19-2022, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,
First of all, thank you so much for replying to my post. This is very helpful and to hear from people who understand what it is like to love someone being addicted is very insightful.
I am in excruciating pain but, I agree with all of you messages. I wish I was the one at fault, but deep down, I know that it is not wise.

I really really appreciate your feedback. This helps me adapt to our breakup. You are right and I am also relieved to know that a long-term commitment to a weed-free environment is, the only (even if very weak) chance of "recovery". I also will try to keep in mind the fact that, indeed, it is the wish of any addicted person to have a "regular" rapport with the substance they are addicted to, but chemically/the way their brain is wired, makes this impossible.
Again, You have no idea how much this helps. I am very in love with him and even the thought of getting over him feels inadmissible, but I know right from wrong. I will definetly go back to this forum and your posts in times of uncertainty, as it really helps - although it hurts.

Thank you
Old 02-19-2022, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Rajaa.....you are always welcome......and, we hope that you will share your journey with others---the positive and the negative, as well, as this cand be enormous help to others who come to this forum for support and understanding. Mutual support and shared experiences is the great part of this forum.
Old 02-19-2022, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome rajaa

I smoked weed for nearly 30 years.
In my opinion, anyone who says its harmless is either kidding themselves or trying to kid you.

Like others have said wanting to smoke a little is incompatible with real recovery.
I think you are wise to consider the future now, not only for those future children but for yourself.

D
Old 02-19-2022, 08:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey guys,
I have a rel. Update here. Day 10 of ex being Sober!

He now says he can see how being sober has brought positive impacts in his life - he is not sure he wants to smoke again although the temptation is intense at times - he tries to focus on his goal. Since we separated, he's been living at his parents, 7h aways from me - so we can only talk via messenger.

He said that, he was considering more and more turning the page on marijuana long-term. He asked me if I would take him back if he did ( I said , I can't make no promises and that he must do it for himself - he apologized for asking the question after).

He keeps saying that it is not for me but for him - although, he is also motivated by the very weak chance this might bring us back together. He is now seriously considering being sober and also taking care of his health (weight loss, being more active - eating less).

I keep stating my truths and raised expectation as to what I want in a man. (eing sober, more proactive in household chores, being more active in general, trying to be the best version of ourselves on a daily basis. He says he understands how hard it is to bring on onsistent effort but really wants to evolve.He says that he wants to be that man (and keeps on reassuring me, that even if we don't end up together, he still wants to make those changes).
It seems like our breakup made him have an epiphany (or maybe it's only due to the grief stage he is at). Anyhow, he understands that if he wants to be back here with me, when I will be ready to date again in a few months, changes will be expected. I also made sure to not give in too much and said that, I wouldn't save him a place. Even if he changes and, is sober and healthier (mind + body) we are and will stay broken up. In fact, I told him I might give him a chance (just as I would to any other potential men, who would fit the new standards I set for myself). I really want changes to be rooted and rooted instrisically (motivated by him) rather than extrinsically (outside motivation = aka changing because of me).

He has also said (I did not put words in his mouth at all) that the example that he has been given by his parents was not ideal and that he does not want to reproduce it with his own children. Maybe this is because he is trying to manipulate me, but I really doubt it as he has been very vulnerable and honest with me.

I will definitely keep on posting on this forum and keep you posted about how things are going.

I am really surprised but, then, I think he really does love me and does want to better himself and the future of his children as he said. I think, although I can't trust his willingness to change, I should trust his concrete actions!

Thanks for reading this really long update.
what do you think?
I'm definitely a little bit hopeful but also aware that things may not change.
Old 02-19-2022, 08:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey guys,
I have a rel. Update here. Day 10 of ex being Sober!

He now says he can see how being sober has brought positive impacts in his life - he is not sure he wants to smoke again although the temptation is intense at times - he tries to focus on his goal. Since we separated, he's been living at his parents, 7h aways from me - so we can only talk via messenger.

He said that, he was considering more and more turning the page on marijuana long-term. He asked me if I would take him back if he did ( I said , I can't make no promises and that he must do it for himself - he apologized for asking the question after).

He keeps saying that it is not for me but for him - although, he is also motivated by the very weak chance this might bring us back together. He is now seriously considering being sober and also taking care of his health (weight loss, being more active - eating less).

I keep stating my truths and raised expectation as to what I want in a man. I've mentionnend being sober, more proactive in household chores and in general (he's not the worst - but def, not the best ; then again, this is my house (although I considered him when purchasing it and we both live in it).
He says he understands how hard it is to bring on consistent effort but really wants to evolve.He says that he wants to be that man (and keeps on reassuring me, that even if we don't end up together, he still wants to make those changes).
It seems like our breakup made him have an epiphany (or maybe it's only due to the grief stage he is at???).

Anyhow, he says he understands that if he wants the slightest chance to get back with me - when I will be ready to date again in a few months - clear proofs of ongoing positive changes will be expected of him . I also made sure to not give in too much and said that, I wouldn't save him a place. Even if he changes and, is sober and healthier (mind + body) we are and will stay broken up. In fact, I told him I might give him a chance (just as I would to any other potential men, who would fit the new standards I set for myself). I really want changes to be rooted and rooted instrisically (motivated by him) rather than extrinsically (outside motivation = aka changing because of me).

He has also said (I did not put words in his mouth at all) that the example that he has been given by his parents was not ideal and that he does not want to reproduce it with his own children. Maybe this is because he is trying to manipulate me, but I really doubt it as he has been very vulnerable and honest with me.

I will definitely keep on posting on this forum and keep you posted about how things are going.

I am really surprised but, then, I think he really does love me and does want to better himself and the future of his children as he said. I think, although I know he his now willing to change, I should only trust him when he will act correspondingly to his new goals.
​​​​​​
I feel like a rude person because I am usually such a people-please and I now have to stand my ground.

Thanks for reading this really long update.
what do you think?
Do you think I am acting adequately?

I'm definitely a little bit hopeful but also aware that things may not change.
​​​​​​
Old 02-19-2022, 09:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

He's certainly saying the right words.

It depends on what you feel is reasonable really - if you see your partner and the daddy of your future babies as a total non smoker then I think you have a right to stick to that and expect it from him.

I hope he justifies the hope and trust you have in him

D
Old 02-20-2022, 12:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Rajaa...I think that you were wise to not offer him a place to stay, in the future. A good boundary for you.
I think that the reality is, that, if an addict of any substance really wants to change for themselves...they will do it regardless of what the non-addicted loved one does.

Words are easy, of course, but actions require a lot more.

I think you are handling it well.
You are a young woman.....and, you have the right to make the choices that you want for your life.
My personal suggestion is to try your best to make wise decisions and you don't need to compromise to please anyone else and you shouldn't just settle. You are the one who is responsibility to see to your own happiness.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry you have this to deal with.

I encourage you to do what is best for you. Words from an addict don't mean anything, it is only actions that a difference.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone for your taking the time and answering me.
I am young and I really appreciate hearing from other people (who are probably more experience and wiser than me hehehe).
I will definitely not allow hin back and will be even more careful about it. It's true that words of an addicted person are not always to be trusted.

Thanks again