It's Everywhere.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's Everywhere.

A couple of months ago I started a part time job to help replace some of our retirement savings that we went through trying to "help" my son. It's a small company that is ran by a couple in their early 50's and from what I can see they appear to be doing ok. (My cheques haven't bounced)

Recently I had a conversation with them and it turned to classic rock concerts that they attend quite often. As it turns out they are into smoking weed, edibles, prescription meds, and drinking, a lot. By all appearances they appear to be functioning addicts.

My heart sunk. I know it's none of my business, they are grown adults. What bothers me though is that is how much drug abuse has spider webbed everywhere.

I enjoy my part time job enough, but I'm considering quitting and looking elsewhere. The job was also a bit of an escape from the crazy train circus with our son, but now I find out my employers are not much different except they are functioning, at least for the time being.

Discouraging to say the least.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

You mentioned on another thread that you and your family were going to start meetings this coming week, well done on that decision. They will help you make good decisions for yourself and find your balance no matter what.

If you like this job and don't have to interact with the owners much, then maybe decide if the good things you get from the job out weigh the fact that they do drugs on their own time.

If it were me, I would check around for something I enjoy with employers who isn't into substance abuse and then make the change, but that's me. You will figure out what is right for you and what's right for you is the answer.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Ann.

Yes I believe you're right. Our first meeting is Monday. I enjoy the job immensely but being that it is a very small business there is a lot of interaction with the owners. Good advice to get a couple of meetings in before I decide what to do. This week has been another roller coaster of emotions so we need things to settle a bit.

That being said I'm leaning towards what you said and seeking another job.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are so right. I was listening to a radio program the other day. It said the US has less working adults than ever. However, there are jobs to be had. The reason you ask....rampant addiction.

It 's awful.