Trying to find peace with Meth addict.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KennedyR View Post
I’m not sure of your situation or what you have gone through, but I’m assuming someone you cared about went through something similar and I’m very sorry for you if that’s the case. I hope you don’t mind me asking, but how long did it take you to heal, truly implement all the wisdom you know? I also agree with everything you said - but I still struggle sometimes..
What I'm sharing with you is part my own experience and what I have learned her at SR (as well as elsewhere).

How long does it take. That's tough to answer, of course. I'm sure you've read about narcissistic relationships and how hard they are to separate from, as well as ones where addiction is present.

The problem with either is you have two different personalities that you are presented with. That's where they differ from "regular" break-ups. Now, it is really one person of course but it's confusing, frustrating and hurtful when you ask yourself but WHERE is that other guy- well, the truth is he one does not exist without the other.

Once you accept that, you will start to see him differently. It will probably take months to work through this/heal the hurt.

First and foremost, make a list of the the terrible things he has done, carry it with you all the time, refer to it 20 times a day if need be, whenever you start to get nostalgic for how "good" it was.

Second, start really focusing on yourself. Self-care, being kind to yourself. Perhaps find a support group like Al-Anon or Nar-Anon

I would really recommend you read the threads in the Friends and Family of alcoholics forum, tons of advice there and wisdom that will help you, from so many that are going through what you are:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/

Post there as well if you want, everyone is welcome, addiction is addiction whether it's alcohol or meth.