We triple dipped the 12th step!

Old 11-29-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

We triple dipped the 12th step!

Hello SR family,

The 12th step of Nar-Anon says: " Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others, and to practice these principles in all our affairs."

In the 12th Step for NA others changes to addicts and for AA to alcoholics.

I belong to an alumni group sponsored by the rehab where my daughter first went for treatment; this group is open to alumni plus their family and friends. My Alumni Chapter has a monthly commitment to supply a recovering speaker at the rehab to address the current residents.

Alcoholics and addicts are both welcome as the rehab treats both afflictions.

I had heard an excellent speaker, G, at a Nar-Anon meeting and managed to recruit him to speak both at the Alumni Chapter meeting and again at the rehab campus. He eagerly accepted.

The Friday evening before Thanksgiving we made the journey to the rehab and got cleared through security. We were greeted by our hosts outside of the meeting room and given a few very brief instructions. The crowd was already drifting into the room - young and pretty, older and worn, men, women, a "diverse" crowd if there ever was one.

G 's eyes grew wide when we entered the room -- big, seating for 100 plus. G was visibly nervous since he had never spoken to this large of an audience before. I assured him that he would do just fine, it was just a bigger meeting but that everyone there could and would relate to his story.

I thought that G would get a little time out of the spotlight while the staff did the normal housekeeping tasks before the meeting - roll call, reading the 12 steps, etc. G's hopes were dashed when they pulled out a few chairs and placed them in the front and motioned us toward them.

G settled down pretty quickly and did a wonderful job of telling his story of alcoholism, addiction and recovery. G had brought a fellow recovering addict with him as a "support" person, G2, and, as anticipated, our hosts invited him to speak also - he spoke briefly, mostly on the topic of how G had helped him through some rough patches in his recovery. G interrupted to comment that it was a two way street!

Then to my total surprise they invited me to speak also! Heads raised and bodies shifted in the audience while I walked the few steps to the podium -- they were about to find out who the 60 year old, gray haired guy was with the two 20-somethings at the front of the room!

"My name is Jim and I am a grateful member of Nar-Anon."

HI JIM!

I told them that my daughter had been through this rehab program in 2014 and although it has not been easy for her, she was doing well in her recovery. I went on to tell them that their parents, spouses and loved ones need a program of recovery just as much as they do. I asked them to strongly suggest Nar-Anon , Al-Anon or Celebrate Recovery when their families came to visit on Sunday afternoons or during Family Wellness Weekend.

I hope at least some of them pass that along and that the families listen.

The meeting ended with the Lord's Prayer and a few residents stayed to chat with us before curfew - the meeting-after-the-meeting.

Our hosts commented that they had certainly gotten "more than they paid for", a triple dip -- AA, NA and Nar-Anon!

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 11-30-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your post brings hope and shines a positive light. Thank you for sharing this.