nerve damage suspected due to using

Old 05-23-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

nerve damage suspected due to using

Hi All-
At the end of April, I had posted asking for advice on an unknown substance my brother was using. Basically, after some people offered great advice, I felt knowing the substance he used was not that important, the fact that he was using in general was the most important thing.

About two weeks after his last day of using, he started having shooting pain in his legs and numbness in his feet. The pain in his legs has gone away but the numbness has progressively gotten worse--he can barely walk or put on shoes. He has been to several doctor appointments and they all seem to think it is drug and/or alcohol related. He is scheduled to get an MRI of his brain to see the extent of the damage.

I am not asking for medical advice. My brother is trying so hard to make his life better--he goes to meetings, got a sponsor and is working the steps currently. It appears that he is putting his recovery first and willing to go to any lengths to stay sober.

I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences with the physical aspect of numbness and no feeling in their lower extremities. I'm not going to take anyone's word as a doctor's diagnosis but any helpful information would be appreciated.

My bro's drug of choice is cocaine and amphetamines. I love him very much and want him to recover, as I am a recovered alcoholic and addict myself. I just don't want him to give up because he is scared and hopeless and say F-IT and relapse.

Thank you all. Much love and hugs! Keep fighting<3
Old 05-24-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good news! (that he is working on his sobriety). That is always great news. I am sorry I cannot help with advice regarding his symptoms. Just wanted to respond with a congratulations to your brother
Old 05-24-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is great that he is working on him. One thought is that numbness is a side affect of being diabetic, I am wondering if he was tested?

Not giving medical advise b/c I am not a doctor and have no idea, but I was reading about numbness for diabetics recently.

I hope he finds out the issue and that it can be repaired. It's wonderful that he is seeking recovery, I hope he keeps up the good work!