My husband keeps taking pills and lying about it

Old 05-14-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My husband keeps taking pills and lying about it

Hi, I am new to the group and need some advice. I have been married for 10 years, we have 2 children. Since I have known my husband he has always had addiction issues with any drug or medication from paracetamol to co-codamol to the point that he is buying it on line costing hundreds of pounds. He went to the go to get help, a proud moment but I knew he was replacing with other medication. Today I found a receipt for over the counter medication, first he lied about it then admitted it. I am so lost, he keeps lying to me, spending money to feed his habit and he shows no remorse, he tells me "well I can't talk to you" which hurts. I am a nurse, I work with people who have brain injuries from drug abuse and he works with me. He sees the end result for the patients and families. His family all have addiction issues as well. What do I do? I can't go on this way.

If he wants to be on a permanent plug withs meds, then fine.... It's the lies, barefaced lies. Please give me advice. He's a good man, works hard for us and our children. My heart is broken.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

the 'well I can't talk to you' line is just a way to manipulate you into believing that his choices are somehow your fault. As you know, they are not.

Are you able to attend a meeting for family members of substance abuse or alcoholics ? In the USA, they are Alanon, Naranon and CoDA. They would help you sort your thoughts and learn what is within your control and what is his to own.

It's really ironic that in your field of work, lays the results of addiction and then you go home to face this reality. I am so sorry for what you are going through. There is no amount of begging, monitoring or managing someone's addiction.

In the end, we have our own choice.

To stay or to leave.

Rarely, does it turn out as we wish. If he was addicted when you met, and later married, why do you wish he would want to be sober now ? Did anything change with your situation that precipitated this ? You mention that the lies bother you ... well, unfortunately, lies are part of the addiction package. Good man or not - it's your turn to decide what you will accept in your life. Please do what is right for you and for your children.

I wish you strength during this time.
Hugs, Joie