Have you ever get apology once addict got sober?

Old 02-18-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Hopeful, how long did it take for you to reach the 0% expectation?
When that is what I kept getting, over and over. And when I had to learn about it enough to explain to my children. Through counseling, they have learned to expect nothing as well. It does not condone anything. It means you have to form healthy boundaries and decide for yourself how much YOU will put up with.

It was a realization that boundaries are all about us, not him. What we will and will not put up with, and how much we will let it control our lives. I was married to this man for many years, so it's not like it all happened overnight. It came in stages. Realizing there was a problem took years really.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
For me- forgiving myself, apologizing to myself, and making amends to myself was by far the very hardest part of my recovery.

Some are thinking ‘what do I have to apologize to myself for, I didn’t hurt me, he/she/they did'.

*I* abandoned myself. *I* compromised myself, my values, my morals, my mental/emotional/physical/financial well-being. *I* allowed myself to be treated horribly. *I* lost confidence in myself. *I* put myself in situations, around people places, and things where I should have never been. *I* didn’t trust my own judgement and instincts. *I* looked for outside validation instead of relying on my own. *I* believed others words over what *my* eyes saw. *I* didn’t nurture the (freaking amazing) woman that I am. *I* didn’t take care of the life that my HP (God) gifted to me.

*I* did all of that to myself, nobody else did.

After months of recovery, I went back to where it all began. I hit my knees and let that little inner child bawl like a baby and I forgave, and I sincerely apologized, and I made a vow to myself to learn from it and never repeat. And, from that night forward I started making amends…to myself.
THAT (God damn you Cynical!)......................was beyond perfect!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

*I* abandoned myself. *I* compromised myself, my values, my morals, my mental/emotional/physical/financial well-being. *I* allowed myself to be treated horribly. I forgave, and I sincerely apologized, and I made a vow to myself to learn from it and never repeat. [/QUOTE]
Thank you. This is absolutely what I needed to hear. I am working on it and I feel like I am starting to feel like my "old" self but wiser. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good point about our amends to ourselves. We have to do it ourselves.
Could an addict's 9th step amend to us make a difference to our own work? Isn't it just opening up old wounds/hopes even if it does happen (big if)
Old 02-21-2016, 08:07 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

*I* abandoned myself. *I* compromised myself, my values, my morals, my mental/emotional/physical/financial well-being. *I* allowed myself to be treated horribly. "
Eliciting that reaction might cause pain for the person being apologized to and thus a reasoning for not 9th stepping that person...except for when

I forgave (myself) and I sincerely apologized (to myself), and I made a vow to myself to learn from it and never repeat.
The 9th Step can end codependency on both sides, but both need to be willing to go that extra step as above.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I remember getting a "I'm sorry" via text in the very beginning. I remember looking at it and thinking BS. I didn't believe it.

He has never said a true heartfelt face to face sorry. He has never accepted responsibility. He lives in delusion. One time I told him via email he never apologized, and he said he did.

Even if he did say sorry I am not sure it would matter.
What would mean more than anything in the world would be him getting sober, healthy and happy. For him to become the man I know her could be and be a father to my son. That would mean more to me than a sorry.

Let go and focus on you. Easier said than done for sure!
Old 02-24-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My daughter has apologized several times, especially after reading or hearing something locally drug related that is God awful. All I can say to her to is that we love her always and are relieved she continues her recovery.

I won't say "it's alright" because it isn't and never will be. The disease itself was addressed very early on, and with strong ongoing support, but every relapse afterwards was a choice.

I've begun suggesting she makes sure to forgive herself, otherwise she's setting herself for failure. I told her we have no need to forgive her as I believe the way the Amish do, "forgiveness is letting go of the right to seek revenge" and I don't want revenge on her; we never did. Regardless, I asked her to consider if she wants revenge on herself
Old 02-29-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Many apologies are hollow.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I got an apology (about 15 months after the break up), but it turned out to be BS. She at least admitted to hiding the fact that she was back on drugs during the last year and a half of the relationship. She claims to be in recovery, but she is still doing drugs--and was actually smug about it. She thinks she only has a problem with alcohol.

I went back and forth as to whether I would respond to the initial amends email. I did finally respond, but her addict behavior was so obvious now that I no longer have feelings for her, that I ended up going no contact again. It was highly annoying.

She didn't admit the drug use until several emails after the amends email. Her amends email spoke of recovery, so it was dishonest. If she ever truly recovers and sends any further communication, even if it's sincere, I will not respond. I don't want any contact with her ever again.

As I learned in this forum, you don't get closure from an addict. I learned finally not to take her self-absorbed, manipulative, dishonest behavior personally. She's an active addict, in all its self-deluded glory, and I want no part of it. Closure comes from within.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

haha. no.
two and a half (sober) years after we divorced, he now insists he doesnt have a problem.
of course, i never apologised for staying with him all those years, enabling.