Christmas shopping for my son

Old 12-14-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Gift cards can be pawned for 50% cash value. They can also be sold to people at the store, etc that they are for.

They can get free bus passes from the center where they have their meetings. Medicaid are free.

I would buy a few food items, cleaning products, personal care stuff but remove as much as you can from the packages. Perhaps things for your grandchild that cannot be returned, pawned or sold.

Does she need warm clothing ? coat, boots, snowsuit ?
Old 12-14-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This may be a non issue after all. He is not returning texts or calls from either me or my husband. Received a couple VM messages from his PO last Thurs afternoon and Fri am looking to see if he is still living here. He's not of course because I asked him to leave 16 days ago. He is not allowed to live at home (his apartment) right now but obviously hasn't been honest with his PO. Both times she called I honestly did not have my phone on me but its been a struggle to call her back. Feels like being a rat. I know I know!!! I've told myself if she calls I will pick up the phone and will not lie to save his @ss but can't seem to bring myself to initiate that process by returning the call. I suspect he will be in jail by Xmas...he had two weeks of warnings from me that I could not continue to have him here with him coming home late, etc...(he has a curfew per his conditions) amongst other things so its not like this came out of the blue. Not my fault... His choices... Not my fault...his choices...rinse...repeat...sigh! This sucks!
Old 12-14-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Whitewingeddove View Post
This may be a non issue after all. He is not returning texts or calls from either me or my husband. Received a couple VM messages from his PO last Thurs afternoon and Fri am looking to see if he is still living here. He's not of course because I asked him to leave 16 days ago. He is not allowed to live at home (his apartment) right now but obviously hasn't been honest with his PO. Both times she called I honestly did not have my phone on me but its been a struggle to call her back. Feels like being a rat. I know I know!!! I've told myself if she calls I will pick up the phone and will not lie to save his @ss but can't seem to bring myself to initiate that process by returning the call. I suspect he will be in jail by Xmas...he had two weeks of warnings from me that I could not continue to have him here with him coming home late, etc...(he has a curfew per his conditions) amongst other things so its not like this came out of the blue. Not my fault... His choices... Not my fault...his choices...rinse...repeat...sigh! This sucks!
If his PO calls again and you will tell her the truth, could this help save your granddaughter?
Old 12-14-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The courts are aware his GF has a substance abuse problem and that is the reason they would not allow him to move back home until she was receiving treatment, which meant her doing the suboxone program. She began a couple weeks ago and last I knew...he had also but he sure didn't seem clean last sat when he was here and neither did she. They are on a daily dose program which means they need to report each morning (4 miles away) to get their dose. Last I knew they were missing some appointments (never their fault, mind you) so its probably just a matter of time before they are booted from the program..as they should be...many people who truly want recovery are on a waiting list...so, to answer the original question I don't think it will have any impact..the court is already aware of the environment but although the court and DCF are in the same building...that seems to be the extent of the info sharing...legislature is due to begin in January where this issue is supposedly going to be addressed...
Old 12-14-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Suboxone programs are not working. The centers are money makers. Failure rates are off the chart and most just sell the subs for heroin. Money gone in no time. Urine tests are easily faked or they use a child's urine or another consenting adult who is clean.

Why else would medicaid paid for a wean program ? one week, you're off
They release the client and leave them to figure out what to do next. Most often right back to get money and heroin.

It's sad but true.

People make more contacts at detox and meetings than they would on their own.

I agree that saving your granddaughter is most important.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I struggle with my feelings about "the program" as they refer to it. There are many in this area who simply abuse it, sell it, etc - hence the daily dosage, so folks don't have any on their person to sell. On one hand, it seems like trading one addiction for another, and from what I know...detox from suboxone is hell.

On the other hand...I recently learned that someone we know used to be a hardcore H addict ten years ago, and spent a few years prescribed methadone, and now suboxone, and has drastically turned his life around because of it. After ten years he is just about to approach getting off the suboxone. We never knew until recently that he was on the program, only that he had been a hardcore h user years ago.

My son left rehab weeks ago and this time wanted to do it without suboxone. Despite being told by counselors that this was dangerous for him to try to do. His father is totally against it and I know he wanted to make his dad proud, and do it without a "crutch" as my dh called it, but this didn't work out, clearly....

Just to clarify..my DH is a recovered crack addict who has been clean now for almost ten years, so he's certain if he can be clean without medication, my son should be able to do so also. I always felt I guess that everyone's recovery is individual and their own...so what works for some may not be right for others.

Again, very on the fence about it all...while I hate the dependance it continues to perpetuate, I know when used correctly, people can be functional and lead healthy and productive lives. Just HATE the continued dependency it brings.

Really don't want to get too off topic here...whoops!
Old 12-14-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm glad that you have a really good understanding and you certainly have seen more first hand than most.

working the programs and subs - can help turn some around. It's frustrating.

I lost my niece. She had migraines. The doctor never checked to find out what was causing them. He gave her an opiate scrip. She didn't know for a while, what they were. By the time she found out, it had been a year. She became addicted and moved. Kept her doctor here and in DC. The dr here was sanctioned for 'killing' more than 25 people.

DC didn't have a registry.

We didn't know what she was doing to hide this. But it killed her. She went into a psychosis and od'd. A life gone. Who could ever make any sense of this.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you have a measure of peace. I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Your heart must break for your granddaughter.

hugs for you Whitewingeddove
Old 12-14-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind words. I am so sorry for the loss of your niece!
Old 12-14-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for the loss of your niece JOIE12.

28 year old daughter had two episodes of psychosis 10-11 years ago...and it was awful...I felt like leaving the family and running away then. She eventually got clean and now is leading her own life...and I have become the outsider in the family because all of the past has been swept under the rug except my recurring depressive episodes. I am grateful that she is alive...that was my prayer...but it took a lot out of me...and it took quite a few years until she got to a point where she finished college (she had two daughters--twins--as a result of her relationship with one of her rehab partners)--eventually left him...and well...there is more negative stuff (for me) but she is making it and supporting her daughters.

My other daughter is in SF using--or possibly doing rehab 'her own way'...who knows? Letting it be and finding some peace around it...thank you naranon meeting.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

repeat