Guidelines for Ending an Addiction-Destroyed Relationship

Old 05-18-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

~Jim LaPierre

(This is the Second article in a series on navigating addiction affected romantic relationships. Also read Part 1for advice and guidelines for living with an addicted partnerand Part 3 for advice on rebuilding a happy relationship through early and mid-recovery.)

Trying to Be Above Reproach

I would love to have a dollar for every time I’ve heard an affected other say, “I just need to know that I’ve done everything I possibly can.”

The illusion is that some measure of peace can be attained by accumulating a long list of sacrifices and attempts to support, encourage, and tolerate the behavior of a partner or spouse who remains active in addiction. We seek to be above the scrutiny of friends and family before we make the choice to separate and/or end a relationship. We seek to be free of guilt and self-doubt. Too often we seek these things alone and with a very self-limiting perspective.

Our efforts are exhaustive attempts to mitigate a horribly disappointing outcome. The person we fell in love with has gradually been taken from us as their disease progressively takes over. There is no worse form of powerlessness than to bear witness to the suffering of a loved one and be unable to prevent it.

For many of us there comes a moment of clarity in which we see that incurring further suffering will serve no purpose!

In this moment our focus turns 180 degrees. We stop focusing on what we cannot do and orient ourselves toward what we must do. There are myriad pragmatic concerns – real world issues that any person faces when leaving a relationship and these deserve both careful planning and support from loved ones.

Detaching with Love

Things happen by default or by design. Choosing to separate or end a relationship overshadowed by addiction is best done by conscious choice coupled with planning for life without the active addict. In the absence of design we tend to procrastinate, only to achieve unplanned resolution in a moment of heightened emotion.

It’s not like there’s a right or wrong way to separate. It’s that we owe it to ourselves to set boundaries. It’s not about wording or picking the right time and place. It’s about having clarity for ourselves moving forward.

Regardless of what we say and what they hear, we need to be on the same page with ourselves.

Practical Considerations

Above all, please consider safety concerns:

How will you communicate your choices (in person, in writing, by phone, through an attorney)?
  • Do you need to be in a public place when you deliver them?
  • Do you need to have others present?
Issues to resolve with self:
  • Is the separation absolute with no expectation or need for future contact?
  • Are there pragmatic concerns (finances, resources) that will need to be addressed and if so how will that occur?
  • Do we wish to leave the door open for any other form of continued communication?
  • Do we remain hopeful that our loved one will in time meaningfully engage in recovery and if so, are we willing to have contact at that time?
  • Where children are involved – what type of contact if any will be allowed (especially when pending court decisions remain).
No Explanations Owed

One of the concerns I hear most from affected others is, “What am I supposed to tell people about why we’re not together anymore?”

I suggest that we have a right to privacy and that we’re not obligated to explain anything. It’s completely appropriate to say that we don't care to discuss the reasons for the relationship ending. It’s appropriate to speak your truth simply and directly if you care to. It’s more a matter of what feels most comfortable for you. At the point at which the relationship has ended, the only person you’re responsible for is you.

What to Tell the Children?

The concern of what to tell children and those we wish to share with is a difficult proposition. I favor the truth as directly and simply as possible. It’s usually surprising to us to be faced with how much they already knew. This is especially true of children. Tailoring our truth to the developmental level of children is important. Helping them to understand that their loved one is very 'sick' is sufficient when coupled with a willingness to answer their questions. Our efforts are best designed to help them to arrive at the same truth we’ve attained:

We didn’t cause it. We couldn’t prevent it. We can’t control it. Powerlessness is one of life’s hardest lessons. There are painful realities in life that we can do little about. And yet...

Life Goes On (adjusting to life without the addict)

Relief is spiritual but fleeting. It’s almost always short lived. The weight has been lifted and now we’re not quite sure what to do with ourselves. Instinctively we ask ourselves, “Now what?” I urge you to be mindful at this juncture. The way we’re wired, we’re most likely to go looking for the next problem to solve, the next person who needs us, or the next shiny distraction to occupy ourselves with.

There are lessons to learn and losses to grieve. Whatever we do not accept we are likely to repeat. Take time to invest in yourself. Take time for you.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it is important to note the differences in age of the children. I realized my DD who is 14 was getting very hurt and confused b/c I was not disclosing to her all the info, as I was trying to protect her. She then projected those emoations to my little DD who is 8.

I realized that it was time to be honest. I was not going to hurt these kids anymore than they had already been hurt. So while it was hard, I told them what they needed to know. I make sure I ask them on a regular basis if they have any questions. If so, I answer them honestly.

My children see that I am for them 100%. We are a team. My honesty with them was good for everyone, including my X husband.

XXX
Old 05-19-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i am at the end of my rope. I have told my daughter who is a crack addict that I will not help her but....of course I compromise and do it over and over again. I gave her a cheque for 400 to pay the part of her rent that she was short. She changed it to 800. She initialed the change and the bank honored it. Is it wrong for me to charge her with fraud, theft or whatever this constitutes??
Old 05-19-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I believe there is a difference between detatching with love and enabling. If you allow that sort of behavior with no consequences, my opinion is that would be enabling.

Just my two cents worth...
Old 05-19-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

what would you do if someone else altered a check you wrote to them?
then do that. treat her actions no differently than anyone else. she doesn't get a pass on bad behavior because you are related.

tough lesson learned. no more checks. no more cash. no more handouts.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I seriously need to learn about detaching. This is new for me, she only told me a month ago that she was an addict- even though I thought something was up. I thought that she was depressed but I was wrong. Where do I get info about the difference of enabling and detaching?
Old 05-19-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do you attend any sort of support group such as Alanon, Naranon, Celebrate Recovery? Those are all wonderful programs that would give you face to face support with no cost.

Read, read, read the stickys at the tops of the forum, they are filled with wonderful information.

There are many who have went through addiction with a child/adult child and have lots of wisdom to share about these issues.

Hugs XXX
Old 05-19-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks

I have just looked up and there is an AL-Anon meeting locally on Tuesday and Wednesday night. I have called and will be there. I can\t do this anymore
Old 05-19-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you firefly!!! Let us know how it goes!!!!

XXX
Old 05-19-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Thanks for this CO. I'm going to share with an AA friend that's (trying) to end a bad relationship with an addict.

He seems to be struggling with the grieving part of it. He admits it. I've seen him end it and then, partly because of the grieving, goes back.

Seen anything good on the grieving part lately?