Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

Great read for anyone....regardless of which forum you typically visit...

Old 04-20-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Your Past Is Like A Bag Of Bricks; Set It Down And Walk Away

I ran across this earlier. Our past IS like a bag of bricks....it's up to us to set it down...embrace the lessons we've learned and walk strongly towards our future. I would love to share these words with my son but since I cannot...I'm sharing the link with all of you! Lucky!
Old 04-20-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

What a great reading, Lizwig, I saved that site and plan to visit there often.

Sometimes we may seem to be resisting letting go, when really, we just can’t see a way to move forward — believing things can never change for someone as unworthy as us.
This was me in many ways. I remained "stuck" in my miserable life because it was the life I knew, the one I had become comfortable with no matter how bad it got...because I knew what to do as I had done it a thousand times before.

I was afraid of a new life, I thought I was not strong enough to face new challenges because I believed that I handled my old ones badly.

I need to read that over and over again, even though it's been a long time since I was stuck in the darkness, I am healthy enough now to look back and figure out how I got so bad before I got better. I will never know why it took me so long to change, to move forward and it's readings like this that help me figure it all out. I don't live in that dark world anymore but understanding what happened helps me ensure I never visit there again. For once and for all I can leave those darn bricks behind.

Thanks for sharing this.

Hugs
Old 04-20-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Ann..it's a Facebook page that I subscribe to but I just checked (knowing you don't participate in that nonsense! Wink wink) they do have a web page. Simplereminders.com. I love most things they post. Very uplifting. They include a lot of very good recovery quotes as well.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I could read your link well, thanks. And yes, I don't do Facebook for many reasons, lol, so I appreciate the link.

Hugs
Old 04-20-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the link - great read!

A counselor for the families at the rehab my daughter went to years ago (they had a really good week long family program) had actually participated in an inpatient family treatment program. One of the exercises they did involved actually carrying the sack of bricks around. Each brick represented baggage from the past that they needed to deal with to move on. Once they had addressed the issue (brick) they could take it out of the sack, until they reached the point where the sack was empty. She told us she had her heels dug in deep, and carried quite a few bricks long after the others were free. Visualizing this and the way she related her experience really helped me to start picking up and examining my bricks.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow! What an amazing exercise Greet Each Day!! Thank you for sharing!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

That was great, thank you! I have a friend who gets their (the daily love) messages daily. Often times, she reads them to me and they are always exactly what I needed to hear for that day. I finally joined today. Thank you for the reminder.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

LMN, the other site I told Ann about above...simple reminders.com has links sometimes to the daily love site but also many others....I think I "Like" nearly everything they post! All positive messages which I appreciate. I'm going to check out daily love on a more consistent basis now.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by lizwig View Post
LMN, the other site I told Ann about above...simple reminders.com has links sometimes to the daily love site but also many others....I think I "Like" nearly everything they post! All positive messages which I appreciate. I'm going to check out daily love on a more consistent basis now.

Oh ok, thank you!!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lizwig- thank you for this great article! I need reminders like this....nudges to push me out of old habits like focusing on the past and some of the painful memories. It reminds me that it does no good holding on to stuff like that. I looked at the simple reminder website. Lots of inspirational messages!