Not just my AH

Old 12-31-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not just my AH

So not only do I have my AH who is waiting to go into a program... the addicts in my life are MANY! UGH
My sisters husband is an ex-heroin addict. I say ex because he's not in any sort of recovery and has my sister and my mom convinced that he would never and will never do anything other than weed again. I know better. I HOPE this is true but ... again, I know better. Recently something went missing from their home where they live with my mom and there was big elaborate "reasons" why he had to take what he took. It was a stupid story if there ever was one and I didn't believe it for a second. Yet, my mom and sister... DID. UGH.
Now, he's working with me. It's my job to give out the jobs of what to do around wherever and HE'S HIGH. I bring it to my mom (the owners) attention and of course she says that i'm imagining it.
Well, I didn't let myself get upset and just agreed with her. Yep.. I must be imagining it.
I know i'm not. Slurring words, pinned pupils then turning larger (inconsistent pupil dilation) pale looking... and just that feeling. Anyway... I hope that i'm imagining it.. yet, I don't know him well enough or have been around him enough to know what he's using. I know it's something more than weed... but it's not my job to be detective.
So basically there's nothing I can do. I can't convince my mom or sister he's having a deeper problem... and just have to sit and wait for something really bad to happen so they can open their eyes. It just sucks.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My sister's husband was also an addict (pills and drinking - 10 years!!!). He too only smokes weed now. Denial is a powerful thing. We used to have family gatherings (kids birthday parties, etc) and he would be gone, like eyes half shut, slurring speech, etc. I mean very visibly f-p. I would ask my sister - what is wrong with him and she would get MAD - like, nothing, he just had a glass of wine. And there was no convincing her. It was crazy. We just sort of sat back, what can you do? Nothing
Old 12-31-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sure you are not imagining it. You cannot force others to come out of their codependency. Time will tell, addiction always rears it's ugly head, you are simply educated enough to spot it more quickly. Guard yourself.

Hugs.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh boy that puts you in a very tough spot. I do not think you are imagining it at all. I think we can hone in on the symptoms pretty darn quick when we have had to deal with it in the past. Unfortunately you cannot convince your sister or your parents with what you believe because they do not want to see it or believe it. Like hopeful says, it will come out eventually, it always does.
I didn't want to believe my son was using either. It is so hard to have to face that horrible reality and easier to believe whatever lies they tell you but eventually when it is staring you in the face with red hot fire breathing out of its mouth it is kinda hard to ignore! All you can do is protect yourself and be very careful around him. He most likely will continue to screw up if he continues to show up to work high. I would just keep a close eye on him and pray your sister and parents figure it out sooner rather than later.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If he's using (which obviously he is), it will all come out sooner or later and there will be proof. That's what I've always told myself.