Sold his soul to devil (so to speak)

Old 12-23-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Look into Salvation Army and Teen Challenge programs.....the are low to no fees w a good reputation. Xerox may need to occur at a hospital...if needed
Old 12-24-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Forged, I don't know where you live, but in Michigan, there are all kinds of options for inpatient treatment for people who don't have money. Salvation Army is always an option. In Michigan, we have coordinating agencies in each county that work with non-profit treatment agencies in the county to secure treatment for low-income individuals. Your son is 18 and (technically) an adult, and obviously in the low (no) income bracket. During the year after my son's death, his two closest friends spiraled into heroin addiction. One of them found an inpatient program through the coordinating agency in the county where he lived - six weeks at no cost to him. He said it was a good program, and so far - several months later - he's still clean (he says).

Also, you said your son is working with law enforcement to reduce his expected sentence. Wondering if some type of rehab program can be secured through that avenue. Here, we have drug courts, and penalties for drug charges often include a diversion to a rehab facility, rather than your standard jail time.

Again, wishing you the best with all this, and hoping for a Christmas miracle for you, your son, and your family.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Forged
I had a similar experience with Cigna several years ago. Our son had insurance through them....they said they cover residential treatment but after he had completed treatment they denied coverage because he "wasn't addicted enough".

Our son most recently completed rehab at the Salvation Army for six months. Even though he has relapsed, I still feel very strongly that they offer a fantastic program......and it's free.

You and your dear son will be in my prayers.

Gentle hugs
ke
Old 12-24-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Some centers will take a couple a month for free. A good interventionlist knows this and will make it happen. It is Christmas. That totally stinks that BC will not pay for a 30 day stay. I had no idea they excluded. Have you called any of the treatment centers to ask how they get around this? Ours did all the work for us in getting insurance to pay. I wish you the best in getting him treatment and for him to agree. Prayers continue.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I do have a bit of $$ about 10k left. But as many know that only last a week or 2. It is a travesty that I have full insurance and can not get my son the help he desperately needs.

I did get a call last night with a glimmer of HOPE from a girl that takes and promotes treatment centers....

She says there is a residential center in Lake Arrowhead, California that will work with me and the insurance..

ABOVE IT ALL.....anyone heard of it??

Don't know how successful the program is or anything about the treatment...but something is better than nothing at this point.

Blessed that you all have helped with your encouragement

Forged
Old 12-24-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Oh Forged, I feel for you, I really do. Your desperation, pain, and love for your son is palatable in your post.

Just shooting out options here: will Blue Cross pay for detox/outpatient treatment? It seems by your post that they will. Maybe send him to a hospital detox. Many rehabs offer what is known as "partial hospitalization" or PHP. It's not fully inpatient - they attend outpatient groups during the day, and live in sober homes that are run by the rehabs staff at night. The same goes for Intensive Outpatient (IOP). A lot of sober homes are unregulated, though, so it's hard to find a reputable one.

I've also found that with many insurance providers, they like to pay for lower levels of treatment before committing to pay for inpatient. Meaning, if I were to go to detox, then head home and do IOP five days a week and fail, my insurance company would take that into consideration when making the decision to pay for inpatient treatment. Insurance can be vicious.

Maybe look into programs that are "self-funded" so to speak, like Teen Challenge. Teen Challenge demands long term attendance, and the clients phase through the program, until they are eventually allowed to search for a "get-well" job... Some of the money from the job then goes back to the center to fund treatment.

I'm going to use Massachusetts as an example again... In Mass, we kinda have a weird system for rehabilitation. 95% of our treatment centers are state run, and therefore cost little to nothing. They all take MassHealth (which is state Medicaid, basically), and they all offer free beds, as well as sliding-scale payments.

The usual process in an inpatient detox at one of the many state run facilities. After detox, patients go on to further treatment at a "holding". A holding is basically just that - a place to sit while waiting to move on to the next phase of treatment. Time spent in the "holding" can run from a week to three or four months. It is all inpatient, and there is no going out at all, unless it's for doctors appointments. While you're in a holding, the patient will attend groups all day, food is provided, etc. However, the client will also be required to apply to a maximum of 3 halfway houses. Once accepted, they will continue to wait at the holding until a bed at the chosen halfway house opens up.

All halfway houses in Massachusetts are state-funded and self-funded. These halfway houses receive large grants from the state, as well as donations from private parties to operate. The halfway house will take the client to apply for food stamps - the food stamps are used to purchase food for everyone in the house (communal cooking and dining). Once again, when the client phases through a certain part of the program (usually after a month) they are required to search for a job or go to school. Some money from the job will be taken by the house to support treatment. Clients are also required to attend meetings nightly, continue with therapy, and usually attend in house groups weekly.

I'm only using this information as an example. However, I'm grateful to the system that my neighboring state has in place. It seems that they are (and I hate to say it) really a forerunner in the treatment industry.

I'm praying for you! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Unfortunately (fortunately??) I'm very well-versed in the treatment world.

Last edited by starfish401; 12-24-2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Forgot a sentence... d'oh!