? Experiences with Separation - Feedback Appreciated

Old 07-11-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

? Experiences with Separation - Feedback Appreciated

Dear SR Family,

I am in the process of filing for a legal separation from my AH. We do not own our home and the only possessions that we have accumulated since our wedding are some electronic toys (two flat screens, an entertainment center, computer and monitor), a mustang (I paid cash for - title is in my name), and my Corolla (lean is in my name only).

I have been browsing around the web to see what I can do about protecting my assets. I have been the purchaser of ALL of which I have mentioned above. I'm currently consulting an attorney, but wanted to hear any feedback that y'all have in reference to separating from an addict spouse. I live in NC and have read about a legal separation "Legal Separation from Bed and Board" that occurs in the case of substance abuse.

I'm wondering if there is any way to protect the things I have worked so hard for when my husband has been abusing drugs. Does anyone have any feedback?

I am currently consulting with an attorney who is a friend, but I won't be able to meet until next month for financial reasons. Any advice would be really appreciated!!!!

Thank you!!!

YG
Old 07-12-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Separate your finances, open up a new account in your name only and start putting the money that it will cost you to live on in that account.. My ex and I had no assets and all of the bills were in my name only, so separating from him financially was easy...