Choose How You Treat Yourself

Old 06-05-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Choose How You Treat Yourself

Just because one person rejects you doesn’t mean you need to reject yourself.

Just because some people choose to disregard your worth and treat you without kindness doesn’t mean everyone will, and it certainly doesn’t mean you have to imitate their behavior. The truth is that the way other people treat us isn’t about us—it’s about them and their own struggles, insecurities, and limitations. You don’t have to allow their judgment to become your truth.

You may not be able to control what other people say or how they act, but you can always choose how you treat yourself. You can choose who you surround yourself with, and who you let go of. And no matter what your circumstances, you can choose to believe in yourself and your worth.

Because at the end of the day, trying to please everyone is exhausting and impossible. No matter how you change or who you become, there will always be someone who doesn’t approve. So instead of wasting your energy in a futile attempt to become someone that other people want you to be, give yourself permission to be exactly who you are. And know that who you are is exactly enough.

The right people will find their way into your life. These are the people who will love and accept you wholeheartedly and without conditions. These are the people who matter. Let go of the rest.

- Daniell Koepke.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by allforcnm View Post
Just because one person rejects you doesn’t mean you need to reject yourself. Just because some people choose to disregard your worth and treat you without kindness doesn’t mean everyone will...
^^^My therapist basically said this same thing to me tonight!! I was saying something about how my XA didn't want to be with me, so obviously nobody else would, either. And my therapist said, "So you're going to judge the ENTIRE rest of the male population by ONE person?? Is he the be-all/end-all for how every other man thinks or acts??"

Great post, allforcnm - these are very important words that we should all remind ourselves of. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EverHopeful721 View Post
^^^My therapist basically said this same thing to me tonight!! I was saying something about how my XA didn't want to be with me, so obviously nobody else would, either. And my therapist said, "So you're going to judge the ENTIRE rest of the male population by ONE person?? Is he the be-all/end-all for how every other man thinks or acts??"

Great post, allforcnm - these are very important words that we should all remind ourselves of. Thanks for sharing!
Yes she called me, said to reinforce the message for you. LOL
I think this type of thinking is pretty common for a bit when your going through a break-up; so many emotions come out, and of course our insecurities rise to the top. We have to squash them !
Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

LOL! And agreed - we must squash the insecurities!! Very hard to do, since most of us have had them all our lives, but not totally impossible!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Orange Lily

Originally Posted by allforcnm View Post

Just because some people choose to disregard your worth and treat you without kindness doesn’t mean everyone will, and it certainly doesn’t mean you have to imitate their behavior. The truth is that the way other people treat us isn’t about us—it’s about them and their own struggles, insecurities, and limitations. You don’t have to allow their judgment to become your truth.
This is a great reminder, even for people like myself who are now out of the direct line of fire of a loved one's addiction.

It's all a psychological mess sometimes, realizing that being in a mentally difficult relationship for so long affects you for the next person or even how you view people in the future... Overcoming our learned behaviors is a difficult task.

We all deserve loving and happy relationships- we have no reason to settle.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Now that I am "chemically independent", perhaps I can concentrate on negative behaviors that have held me back probably more than the chemicals did. I got away with being a drunk for so long that I am seriosly lacking fundamental skills to make it in the sober. Honestly, I don't know where to get started and there is a side of me that is resisting change with all its might. Anybody who has some insites into how to go about it please share.