Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

Any good books to help me with a breakup from my exheroin boyfriend?

Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need a good book that can relieve me from how i feel. Me and my boyfriend dated for a year hes my bestfriend everything to me. Hes an "ex adddict" but im sure he still uses.....i need to get over this but i cant....any good books that can help me? i need 2 get out of my house, thinking of going to barnes and noble.....help!
Old 04-13-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Everyone seems to recommend "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie.

I never read it though I am familiar with her work.

I downloaded her "Make miracles in 40 Days" book when I was in real crisis and it helped me immediately to do the work.

Glad you are planning to get out and go somewhere. It will help.

Hanna
Old 04-13-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah codependent no more is a good one. Not really sure about others.

Hang in there. I also broke up with my addict bf. it's been 2 months and things have changed so much. You will feel better, I promise! It's just going to suck for a little while. I went to Barnes and noble lot too when I needed to get out! Lol good place. I also spent as much time as possible with family and friends. It really helps not to be alone. Also, do you journal ever? I found that really helped me get everything out.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

codependent no more for sure. I highlighted every other word.
the language of letting go

sometimes its nice to get lost in stories instead of just self help books.
I like:
the lord of the rings
harry potter
the other boelyn girl
hunger games
classics like Oliver twist, a tale of two cities, wicked, confessions of an ugly step sister...
Old 04-13-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This book was helpful to me Women Who Love Too Much by Robin Norwood.

Hugs I know your pain I just brok up with my ex in January
Old 04-13-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I would highly recommend Codependent No More as well. Its a great place to start. It was a huge eye opener for me and the start of a lot of changes.

I can't imagine trying to change, understand myself or any of my codependency without first reading that book.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also highly recommend Codependent No More. Women Wo Love Too Much is also a good one.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh Evey...
I had a long post written for you...and I lost it on a refresh. Will write again when I have time...here are some links.
Thinking of you, I have been where you are.
It gets better and better and then...really great!
Those first weeks are hard! Holding you in my thoughts...

Leaving the Enchanted Forest: The Path from Relationship Addiction to Intimacy: Liana Beckett: 9780062501639: Amazon.com: Books

Addiction, Lies and Relationships
Old 04-13-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
God either is, or He isn't.

"It's called a break up because it's broken"
Old 04-13-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank u so much. that link helped out and i did buy codependent no more. i just need to fight through these weeks....its a struggle i must admit....i hate waking up...the reality of this just sucks so much.....i want the pain to be over so i can be normal again.....i love him so much im so fearful of getting a call one day to attend a funeral..... i just want him to be ok.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Getting Them Sober by Toby Rice Drews

The Addictive Personality and Addictive Thinking by Craig Nakken

These were very helpful to me.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evey View Post
thank u so much. that link helped out and i did buy codependent no more. i just need to fight through these weeks....its a struggle i must admit....i hate waking up...the reality of this just sucks so much.....i want the pain to be over so i can be normal again..... i love him so much im so fearful of getting a call one day to attend a funeral..... i just want him to be ok.
This is my biggest fear also. Not just because of drugs but because of his motorcycle. This is called future tripping. I deal with it by saying to my HP thank you that I did not get that call today. Thank you that no news is good news. Thank you he is alive.

I have a brother somewhere on the streets of Detroit. He is lost in heroin and dxm. I pray for him every day. I miss him. I love him. He will always be my brother. I allow myself to pray for him in the morning and at night. If he creeps into my head during the day, I sing a song instead. Music really helps me.

Im glad you reached out for support here and hope you keep posting. We are all only one phone call away from being sent to our knees. especially those of us who are in recovery ourselves, doesn't matter if we have sober addicts in our lives or active users. all of us.

My signature says "dreams" it's from harry potter. When I get those thoughts I think instead: it does not do to dwell on nightmares and forget to live