Is he an addict?

Old 01-23-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is he an addict?

Hi there, I'm new to this forum but wanted some advice. I am female, 20 and am concerned about my friend, who is male and also 20. He has been with his partner (much older) for around a year and a half. This guy is a bit weird, and dislikes me and our other friend for unclear reasons so I don't get to see my friend very much now. Anyway, since he's been with this guy he's been doing cocaine, started out as a weekend/party type thing, but now he does it every day even when alone and last night he was messaging nearly everyone we know asking if anyone knew a dealer despite already having some earlier in the day- plus he was also lying to people saying it was 'for a friend' when it wasn't. He also lies about how much he takes, says its not much but then slipped up and said everyday. When it comes to quantities I know hardly anything about cocaine or how much someone would take so I don't know how much of it he takes everyday, just that he has some daily.
I feel like he's addicted, to be lying about his usage and to be using it that frequently- but he insists he's fine. The weird thing is, if I go out for just a few pints at the pub he calls me an 'alchi' and yet can't see how his own situation is worse in that he's addicted and it's illegal. He also does mdma at least weekly so I don't know what his internal organs will be like in 10 years.
Does this sound like addiction? I want to be sure I'm not overreacting. Thankyou
Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am not a doctor, and haven't seen him....but yes, he sounds like an addict.

Unless he is ready to get help, there is nothing you can do. NOTHING. The only thing I suggest is read around this site. But, IMHO, I would stay away from an addict. NOTHING but trouble.

Wishing him the best.