Uh, Oh...

Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Btw, thank you for answering my question so thoroughly and elegantly.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by shaolin5 View Post
Zoso77, my wife shows a LOT of those traits... She also has an amazing ability to con everyone in her family.
Oh, boy...

Please keep in mind that the only people that can make a definitive diagnosis of BPD are mental health professionals. That being said, if you suspect your wife has a character disorder, you're going to have your hands full.

I would recommend two books: Stop Walking On Eggshells and I Hate You Don't Leave Me.

I would also recommend that you do not bring up BPD to your wife. All it will do is aggravate an already volatile situation if you do, and it may even incite your wife to behave even more poorly.

ZoSo
Old 12-30-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shaolin5 View Post
Zoso77, my wife shows a LOT of those traits... She also has an amazing ability to con everyone in her family.
Zoso, said it best a professional needs to make the diagnosis did your wife grow up in an alcoholic/addicted household?

The reason I asked I was diagnoised BP 20 years ago which is a long time in my case my psychiatrist said I was misdianoised how well according to him the things they saw at the time nobone had asked about my childhood and I am an ACOA. I have read the books Zoso mentioned and if indeed your wife is BPD you will find them useful.

Zoso, sorry I am not trying to hijack your thread nor minimize BPD, just sharing my experience.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

lol nobone not sure what that means should have been no one
Old 12-30-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by crazybabie View Post
Zoso, said it best a professional needs to make the diagnosis did your wife grow up in an alcoholic/addicted household?

The reason I asked I was diagnoised BP 20 years ago which is a long time in my case my psychiatrist said I was misdianoised how well according to him the things they saw at the time nobone had asked about my childhood and I am an ACOA. I have read the books Zoso mentioned and if indeed your wife is BPD you will find them useful.

Zoso, sorry I am not trying to hijack your thread nor minimize BPD, just sharing my experience.
No worries, Angie.

I think 20 years ago a Bipolar diagnosis was more commonplace, so the fact you were misdiagnosed doesn't surprise me. But in my opinion, BPD is harder to deal with than Bipolar.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I agree that Borderline Personality Disorder is harder to deal with when I was given that DX, I freaked out but 20 years ago they had no clue yet about ACOH and how we, were affected so I see how it happened.

The bipolar once they found the right combo of meds all I had to do is comply and see my therapist and once in a while they have to change meds much easier than BPD,
Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by crazybabie View Post
I agree that Borderline Personality Disorder is harder to deal with when I was given that DX, I freaked out but 20 years ago they had no clue yet about ACOH and how we, were affected so I see how it happened.

The bipolar once they found the right combo of meds all I had to do is comply and see my therapist and once in a while they have to change meds much easier than BPD,
And many addicts are misdiagnosed. IMO, many "duel diagnosis" facilities are mostly about insurance and $$.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That may be true I have no experience in that other than with my son and we know for a fact the illness came before the addiction he was 6 when he started seeing and hearing things, I had forgotten he did do rehab once not sure how I forgot that but it was a dual for that reason he went in on a Friday and they called me Sunday to come get him he was a danger to the staff and other patients smh is what they said.