Hello Friends

Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello Friends

Hi everyone, just me popping in to say hello and I love you all.

Things are great here. My son is thriving in his new marriage. My great-grandaughter is beautiful and smart and doing just great. She is 5-1/5 years old now. Her grandfather, my son, is now a part of her life.

Did you ever think for one minute I would be writing this? No, I sure didn't. But thanks to you all, I kept the faith and lived through those bad times. Oh yes, many bad times, do you all remember?

However, we had a lot of laughs along the way too.

Anyway, just want you all to know that although my life is really busy right now being a mother again at age 72, I never stop thinking of you all.

My advice to anyone going through this phase of their lives with loved ones that are addicted, is to hang in there, keep the faith, take care of themselves, stop enabling the addict, send them on their way with love, and most important of all, DO NOT CALL THE WARDEN AT SAN QUENTIN TWICE A DAY TO SEE HOW YOUR CHILD IS DOING!

Yep, want to talk about being a CO-DEPENDANT? That was me big time!

Hugs and kisses to you all

Devastated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

yeah Ms. Dev!!

so glad things are going well ~ you have no idea what an inspiration you are to me ~

when I get so overwhelmed about being a mom again at 48, working 2 jobs, still trying to be a newly married wife and keep up a house and be grandma to 5 other beautiful granddaughters - plus work my program of recovery - i think about giving up then I think well Ms. Dev is handling it - so why can't you . . . gives me lots of encouragement & strength to make another day!

she is such a cutie - enjoy the blessings & have a great busy holiday season with her~

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 10-29-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, you are so young....enjoy this time even if it is a bit overwhelming.

Remember, if God brings you to it, He'll get you through it.

I am so proud to think I may have encouraged someone. Thank you for such a wonderful compliment.

Hugs, Devastated
Old 10-29-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Awe, she is such a cutie! Bless your heart for adopting her and giving her a stable, loving home!!

It's so nice to read a happy, uplifting story for a change.

P.S. Did the Warden really take your calls, lol!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi LoveMeNot:

Well, the warden took my first and second call; however, on the second call, he asked me to please take his name off my speed dial. I did, but then decided I'd call the chaplain. Chaplain was great at first, but then he guess he, too, decided not to be my messenger. LOL

Oh my, the things I did! I was devil-possessed! My husband use to say, "watch out if anyone talks bad about mamma's son!" True story!

Once the mailman, after delivering a letter stamped "SAN QUENTIN" had to ask who I knew there. I said that would be my son. He said, "why?" I said he killed a mailman!!! OMG, after that he just practically threw the mail at me and ran. LOL

We had some big laughs on this forum! Once we were planning a prison wedding and Ann picked out all the dresses, including the mother of the prisoner dress, it was really beautiful.

We had to do something to keep us sane! LOL

Hugs, Devastated
Old 10-29-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by devastated View Post
Hi LoveMeNot:

Well, the warden took my first and second call; however, on the second call, he asked me to please take his name off my speed dial. I did, but then decided I'd call the chaplain. Chaplain was great at first, but then he guess he, too, decided not to be my messenger. LOL

Oh my, the things I did! I was devil-possessed! My husband use to say, "watch out if anyone talks bad about mamma's son!" True story!

Once the mailman, after delivering a letter stamped "SAN QUENTIN" had to ask who I knew there. I said that would be my son. He said, "why?" I said he killed a mailman!!! OMG, after that he just practically threw the mail at me and ran. LOL

We had some big laughs on this forum! Once we were planning a prison wedding and Ann picked out all the dresses, including the mother of the prisoner dress, it was really beautiful.

We had to do something to keep us sane! LOL

Hugs, Devastated
lololol!!! Too funny!! Loved "he killed a mailman!!"

Please come back sooner, we need some more laughter!!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

"We had some big laughs on this forum!"

Yes we did! Not anymore, ahhh...that's the past...so glad to hear from you and what young lady you have raised!

So glad to hear from you!
Old 10-30-2012, 02:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Ahhh Dev, she is as precious as ever and growing up fast....well, it seems fast when I'm not the one doing all the work, lol.

I am so happy for you, your son and your whole family. What a wonderful relief this all must be for him to be part of the family again.

And yes, I still have my black and white striped prison wedding dress, it's fallen a little out of fashion today, I may have to sell it on E-Bay. Can you see the ad? "Going to a prison wedding? Got just the get up for you...cheap! Guaranteed to raise eyebrows."

If I recall you had some snappy platform boots to add pizzazz to your outfit.

Good days and bad, I am so glad you are my friend and that we have walked this path together for so many years.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi DollyDo, hi Ann

We can still have some good laughs, DollyDo, just have to find the good and the fun around us and allow ourselves to relax and laugh! I could lend you my ggdaughter, she makes us laugh all the time.

ggdaughter and I were visiting my girlfriend the other day. The "baby" said, "something smells good!" Girlfriend said, "come see what I'm cooking." She picked up the lid of a slow cooker and showed her. Then girlfriend said, "what do you think, does that look good?" GGD replied, "ah, not so good!" OMG, we laughed so hard. Later the girlfriend came over our house and about one hour into the visit she said,"well, I better get home and take care of my ribs in the slow cooker!" GGD replied, "they're probably overcooked by now!" We laughed so much. What other 5 year old knows about cooking? Incidentally, the girlfriend is like me, not a very good cook!

Incidentally, do you think I'm beginning to be a codependant with her? After two weeks of kindergarten I visited the principal and insisted, and I mean insisted, she move her to a different class. The teacher was horrible. Insisted on 5 volunteers each day (24 kids). She would bully the young moms into signing up for two days a week each. Then she turns to me in front of all the moms and says "I don't have your name on the volunteer list!" I replied, "there's a reason for that!" She said, "what would that be?" I said, "I don't volunteer!" She said, "What?" I figured she didn't hear so I said it louder! Then she said "I have lots of grandmothers volunteering." I said, "well, that's a relief this way this great-grandmother doesn't have to!"

However, one day I did volunteer only because the baby was refusing to go to school!! Had to see what the problem was. Found out she was teaching things she learned in preschool, but without all the fun. I know everyone thought I was wrong, however, within another week, they were all trying to move their kids. One day the teacher didn't even show up so the volunteer moms taught! That's so wrong!

Ann, I'll bet you'd get good money for your "prison bridemaids dress!" My boots still look great, a few scuffs, but other than that they're in great shape. Sort of like me, LOL.

Love you too, Ann. Thanks to you I made it through some really bad times and was able to keep the faith throughout it all. I will always remember you saying, "it will get better, I promise you!" OMG, Ann, I cry thinking about those words! It was a bit difficult to keep the faith at times...especially, when he called to tell me he was having to sleep in his storage unit! LOL Remember, I was so afraid he wouldn't be able to breath in there! OMG, why didn't I think, "how the hell can he afford a storage unit!" How funny!

The other day he asked Mr. Dev, whom he calls "pops," "Could I borrow your truck for work tomorrow?" before Mr.Dev could answer, son said, "Don't worry, I promise not to sell it again!" OMG, funny, but brought back more memories!

OK, sorry about this being so long, but I have so much to say! LOL

Hugs & kisses, Devastated
Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Dev - I hope you keep sharing and the longer the post the better. I am so enjoying your posts. Faith, laughter, and hope keep me strong while on MY journey to the other side. Your ESH is inspiring!!
Old 10-30-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi LoveMeNot

Careful what you wish for. I've been known to write novels!! LOL

Speaking of wishing for things, when we moved here to this beautiful area, with no shopping, no conveniences, I went around for 5 years wishing I had a baby to take care of. Well, from my lips to God's ears, along came a almost 3 year old.

Hello, God, how about the lottery winning I was wishing for???

Hugs, Dev
Old 10-30-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Incidentally, do you think I'm beginning to be a codependant with her? After two weeks of kindergarten I visited the principal and insisted, and I mean insisted, she move her to a different class. The teacher was horrible.
Dev, I think this could pass as loving care of a minor child...unless, of course, you put the principal on speed dial...in which case I will need to come over and whack you with the bunny slippers.

I dare ya, no...I double dog dare ya, to wear those platform boots to the kindergarten class. Nobody will make you volunteer with these boots on.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh Ann, I had forgotten that you had taken pictures of me with my boots on at the last dance we attended.

I don't understand what is the problem with that teacher. Each and every morning I say "good morning" she turns and mumbles something. I said, "sorry I didn't hear you!" but she totally ignores me.

Mr. Dev said I'm throwing 100. Do ya think he means "batting 100?" LOL He is so funny!

Well, ya know, I do have an extra slot on my speed dial now that the warden doesn't answer anymore.

I forgot to tell you though, after he told me not to call anymore, I did write a couple of times. He allowed my son a phone call just to ask me to stop communicating with him all together. I really felt badly about that. LOL

Thanks again for the photo of me in my boots. Man, did I look splendid. Too bad he called off the wedding huh? We looked so hot!!

Hugs, Devastated
Old 10-30-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

((Dev)) - I don't think I was here when you were calling the warden, but definitely remember the prison wedding plans

SO glad to hear that all is well in "Dev-land" other than the grumpy teacher. I do think if you wear your boots, she will have to straighten up!

Love, love, LOVE the picture. Can't believe she's grown up so much!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-31-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Quote is not working for some reason but Dev, I wanted to say thank you for this:

Remember, if God brings you to it, He'll get you through it.

I really needed this today.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Impurrfect...of course you remember our planning the prison wedding it's because you were invited to the gala affair. Man, were we bummed when the wedding was called off.

Does anyone remember my son complaining about the poor thread count on the prison pillow cases? OMG, did we roar about that. Talk about spoiled!!

Hi Crazybabie. I'm so happy I could help brighten your day. Just keep the faith and always remember God has a plan. No matter how much we fight Him because we think He's not working fast enough for us, it will happen... Just not in our time, but His.

Happy thoughts. Ann always said "I promise you things will get better!"

Hugs, Devastated
Old 11-01-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by devastated View Post
H
Does anyone remember my son complaining about the poor thread count on the prison pillow cases? OMG, did we roar about that. Talk about spoiled!
Do I remember? I have never thought of thread count without thinking of your son's prison linens. Mr. Ann looks at me funny when I am scrutinizing new sheets and finally say "Dev's son would like these!"....that's when he says "Who is Dev and what has her son got to do with sheets?" I just smile, and tell him "Her son didn't like the prison linens" and he remembers because I've told the story before.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha

I missed the plans for the prison wedding but I will remember the next time I go shopping for sheets to make sure they pass the "prison thread count" test ~

Geez - I guess I could make it thru life with my SR family but I sure would miss the laughs!!!

We may be a little older as "parents again" but we are much wiser ~ wise enough to know how to NOT be manipulated by teachers/coordinators trying to force us to volunteer to do things we don't want to do ~ I didn't volunteer for duty at the booth for the parish fair this year ~ I made my contribution and sat at home. Didn't feel an ounce of guilt over it either ~

Life is good!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh Ann, I will never forget that phone call. I swear I "pee'd" my pants laughing, and that's even before the need for depends! LOL

That reminds me of a funny story. I went to the doctor's for my annual checkup, and she said "have you decided to do something about your hearing loss yet?" I looked at her and said "yes, I already have taken care of that." She said, "Great, what have you done?" I said, "I'm learning to read lips!" LOL Why does she think I'm crazy? The eye doctor said "so, when was your last eye-exam?" I told the truth and said 37 years. He was shocked. He said, are you kidding me? Why? I said, I was waiting for you to graduate. LOL Gosh I have so much fun.

My son is doing really well. He has his sense of humor back these days. He is loving his wife, they make a great couple. He has this chain that he loves, it's fake gold, and it keeps breaking. The other day I asked him how long the chain is ('cause for his 50th birthday I got him a real one) and he said it used to be 22" but now it's about 12". So funny!

Anyway, Tell Mr. Ann, trust you on the thread count 'cause you have it on good authority that only 1000 thread count works!

Hugs to you and Mr. Ann. Love you.

Hi PinkAcres, isn't it the truth the older I get the more outspoken I become. I always, and I mean always, use the senior citizen card. No one can bully me! As a matter of fact, I couldn't be bullied even when I was young! LOL My son says I'm like a pitbull, I get ahold of something and won't let go! Hmmm? Do you think that was a compliment? Maybe not huh?

Guilty? Not in my vocabulary! I did my time! LOL

Hugs to you
Devastated