Rehab facility & Insurance

Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
clr

Rehab facility & Insurance

My daughter entered a rehab & after my paying the cost to get in, her insurance said they would cover the rest for at least 30 days. Now they say since she is inproving-
she either pays out of pocket which we cannot begin to afford or leave after just 18 days. She is so far from being ready to leave- any suggestions on how to deal with this situation? Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I would suggest checking out the Salvation Army in your area. SA's have a
really good REHAB that is FREE and lasts for 3 to 6 months. Has a pretty
darn good success rate for those that really want recovery and apply
themselves.

Also you might want to check out some Sober Living Homes in your area,
which is always a good idea for after Rehab, no matter how long the Rehab
stay was.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You don't say what resources are available or whether you are willing to pay anymore out of pocket for her care and treatment. I would imagine that the insurance is willing to pay for "intensive outpatient" care at this point, which is the normal course of treatment after leaving rehab. If so, I would enroll her in that and see if you can find a good sober house. That combo can be as good, or better, than inpatient rehab. You could pay for the first month or two of rent, then tell her she's on her own, or needs to pay a good share of the costs.

The rehab facility should be able to provide you with numbers to area sober living houses.

Failing that, the recommendation for Salvation Army is a good alternative.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There should be an appeal process within the insurance company. If you are unsure what to do, the attorney general's office for your state should be able to help you with your rights.

If the doctors who are treating - and have treated your daughter in the past - feel that continued inpatient therapy is medically necessary, you should be able to get it covered. It can be quite a battle, however.

Our insurance company refused to pay for what we thought was medically necessary. We went through the appeal process and did get it 100% covered, but we needed to pay upfront while going through the process.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

The Chemical Dependency Counselor may be able to advocate for a longer stay too.