wanted to share a story of cautious hope

Old 07-29-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

wanted to share a story of cautious hope

I wanted to share my story of cautious hope with my fellow SR members who have shared so much of their wisdom and experiences with me. I am the mom of a RAS who was addicted to heroin. I am writing today because I am cautiously optimistic about my son's recovery. After searching for a job for close to 3 months, he has finally landed one. But what's more important, is that he appears to be really working his recovery this time around which was not the case in his last few attempts. I think the difference this time around is that he no longer lives at home but in a sober living house. I know his recovery is in the early stages ( 4months clean come August 9th) and so I'm trying to be realistic and not get my hopes too high. I have tried really hard in the last couple of months to stay out of his way and let him try to build a life of his own that is independent, responsible and honest. But by no means does that mean I don't worry and think about him every single day. I'm trying very hard to work on my own recovery and just let God take care of everything. I ask myself if i'm going to pray for help what's the sense if I'm going to interfere. Do I think I can do a better job than my HP? I don't think so, so just take a back seat and at least give it a chance. I'm so grateful everyday my son is clean and grateful for the people who he lives with for the support they give him. And I'm also grateful for one of his good friends who has 22 months clean under his belt and is showing him life can be fun without drugs and alcohol. He is an inspiration for my son and also for me.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. It is good to hear you and he are in a better place at this time and that recovery is going well. One day at a time.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. It always good to hear good things like this. You and your dear son will be in my prayers.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 07-29-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It's good to enjoy the moment, and my prayers go out that the future is even brighter for him and for you.

Good news is always welcome here, thank you for lighting the candle of hope.

Hugs
Old 07-29-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Thank you for sharing! I pray for continued success on yours and his recovery. I really do!! May God help keep your son strong!!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, remember to still focus on yourself, one day at a time. My prayers are with you and your son
Old 07-29-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing I will be keeping you and your son in my prayers.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

It is wonderful to hear positive stories, allthatsgood. It can definitely be done, there are plenty of people on this board that have been in recovery for a long time and are shining stars. I hope your son stays in their company. I will keep you and him in my prayers.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you! And good for your son.
It's great that your son has a friend who
is a good,positive influence.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dear atg,

So happy you shared this! No matter where my son is in his recovery (and it is shaky right now), I rejoice with you and your son. I am so happy for you and your son. Any break in the cycle is welcome and a place to catch one's breath.

My prayers remain with you.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's very uplifting to hear. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ALLTHATSGOOD - Thank you for sharing. I have been to many Alanon meetings and Open AA meetings. This is the first time I heard of a person in a similar situation as I am in. An adult son. For me, I will always worry to some degree. I think about the people I love every day. It is part of my make up. For me, I am working at not enabling, not trying to fix the situation. I know I can't and pray for continued strength each day.

Very uplifting post. Thank you. I am so happy for you and your son.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks so much for sharing, it is good to hear stories of recovery and hope ... too often I can get bogged down in the doom and gloom of it all but yes, there is always hope and each time an addict experiences the clarity of recovery it is strength for him/her and the rest of us. My son is in recovery as well and I too have learned to stay out of his way, I continue to pray and enjoy each day as it comes!

I am happy for you and your son!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have to stay connected here, but need to put a limit on how long I sit in front of the computer so I don't become consumed watching for responses. This is my lesson for today - to have hope, pray, and stay out of his way and let him heal (if that is what happens). I will be hopeful. He has been sober since 3/26 unless he had something in jail or in rehab.

A good day for today.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post. I have not been back on the site in a while either as my daughter is doing well in her recovery and Ive found it hard to read about others struggling; knowing they are all kids like my daughter.

Your post is wonderful news, and I pray things continue to go well for all of you.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Though my son is still active in addiction, I am THRILLED when I hear a story of another who is doing well. I pray he continues this path and goes on to be an inspiration to others. Please, always share your stories of joy!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. My son has been going to counseling and to the methadone clinic for almost 3 weeks. He seems better and motivated but I'm so scared every day that something will change. I need to hear positive stories so I won't lose hope.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing that. It's always great to hear uplifting positive things said on these boards.