whats the difference between....??

Old 06-06-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

whats the difference between....??

Whats the difference between narcotic dependency and an addict?

We all know that addiction does not discriminate....

If someone had to have a serious operation (I did) and was given percocets for a period of time (I was, fortunately I hated them), they most likely would become physically dependent on the drug. Where does addiction began?

I am confused. How does anyone take an addicting medication for an extended period of time safely?? Can it be done?
Old 06-06-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Abuse is the difference, from what I understand, when you're talking about the medical and behavioral aspects of addiction.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you had an operation and needed pain medication......

versus

Still taking the medication and refilling it long after you are healed.

I don't know if this is true....but my belief is that IF you have pain and take pain pills...the pills go to and are concentrated on the source of the pain.

If you take pain pills just to get high....they work differently and just make you feel
all warm and fuzzy.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

IMO addiction is when you are pre-occupied with the drugs it becomes the most important thing in your life. Physically dependant is what happens when you are on the Med for long enough for your body to need it. Physically dependant people have little problem titrating off where addicted people have big problems trying to tapering it just doesnt work for us. I'm an addict tapering NEVER worked for me.Hope this clears it up for you

P.S. I always told my wife I'm not addicted I'm just dependant.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

My dear friend (a woman much older than me) had a very bad fall. Long story short, after 2 operations, she now goes to a pain management clinic. She has been prescribed some strong pain killers and takes 3 a day.

She is overly concerned about her prescription, not to run out before a refill. I personally think she has changed very much. More irritable, less social, much thinner, etc. She doesn't complain of pain and I think she has a "problem" now. I don't think she is an addict but she is definitely has a physical dependency on these pills.

I don't know what to think about it. I am concerned because she lives alone, she is older and she is still driving (with 2 accidents in 2 months). Her kids are also expressing a concern.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-06-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That sounds bad to me also she should talk to her pain management person they are very familiar with this. I got caught up in the whole pain management thing it was the begining of the end for me. I had real pain issues but didnt realize that the medication sometimes makes it worse. I fought this for a long time thought everyone was crazy when they told me it was the meds making it worse but once I got off everything I found my pain was managed well with non narcotic meds.Its something for her to think about.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My brother had terrible problems with his back for years, until he found himself at the point of taking TONS of prescribed pain killers everyday. He was very preoccupied with having what he needed, I think for both pain management ( fear of the pain returning) and fear of the withdrawals if he ran out.

He finally had successful surgery and was given subs to help taper from the years of pain killers.

He feels great today and would prefer to never take another pain med again.

I think he's a classic example of someone who was dependent but not addicted.

With that said, he himself didn't know until it came time to wean off. Thank heavens it worked out well for him.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My AH was on pain pills for years due to back pain. This is exactly how I would defend him to people who said he was turning to an addict "he's not an addict, he's in pain ans just has a dependency from long term use"...this went on for years until I realized it was in deed a problem, he finally just went to detox very unwillingly and now will admit it turned to addiction...it's a fine line and so hard to tell the difference. Now he has to deal with his pain med free.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

It was my husband's back too - but he even will admit now, it was not the pain or the meds, it was HIM!!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
It was my husband's back too - but he even will admit now, it was not the pain or the meds, it was HIM!!
ETA - it was first his back, then dental surgery, then "he blew up himself up on our boat" and was airlifted to a regional hospital an hour away. Flash, 2nd and 3rd burns! (not one scar) and access to all the pain medication he needed/wanted.

End result - an addict who obviously had trouble living life on life's terms clean and sober.