My NYE...Realizations & Impacts.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My NYE...Realizations & Impacts.

This weekend has been a real clusterf***. On NYE I was just planning on doing laundry, got lunch, and chilling by myself. Though I had these things planned, everything just flipped.

I hadn't seen my friend/neighbor for the past few days, so I started assessing his place (looking in the windows, knocking on his door, etc.). A stench grew stronger and saw that there were flies all over his door and windows. Another neighbor came out of their place during this time, proceeding to call the cops. Long story short...our friend/neighbor had passed away. He'd died from alcoholism.

My mother also called me later in the day to tell me that my great uncle died earlier that morning from alcoholism. His liver collapsed along with everything else collapsing fast.

After the police and coroner did what they did and left, half of the street came to his place to pay respects. While we were all gathered outside his place, we all realized how big of a wake up call it was. It was nice that not only they came out to do that, but how we all exchanged numbers. I'm now putting together a memorial/potluck with these people.

My addict ex-bf was good friends with him and was devastated when he heard the news. It was the first time I'd seen him since our break up and he looked healthy. Though I don't know if he's been using lately or if he's going to meetings, it was a wake up call for him. He called me today and told me all about how he's been thinking a lot about my neighbors and great uncles death from alcoholism, and that he starting to see all of the horrible s*** coming from addiction in general. Marijuana was his drug of choice and alcohol was slowly becoming his other choice. He's starting to see addiction in a new light. All I can do is hope for him to get more help and to think more about the impacts of these deaths from alcoholism.

Everything has been rough this week but I'm moving through it as best as I can. These deaths make me scared of what addiction is and the impact it has on me and everyone around me. I'm glad my ex is thinking about getting more help but it all still makes me scared. I pray for him to go through with it, but all I can do is that. I'm now focused on moving on and starting the new year right.

-Panda
Old 01-01-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Panda))) - I'm so sorry for your losses.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-01-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

keeping you in my thoughts. I'm so sorry for your losses. Glad your neighbors joined together during this difficult time.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a tough way to start the year. I'm so sorry for your loss.