Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

THIS IS IT!!!! Need guidance! Boundaries for AH - Please review, advise

THIS IS IT!!!! Need guidance! Boundaries for AH - Please review, advise

Old 10-10-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for coming back to comment. I was beginning to wonder if this is about helping people who need help, guidance and support or not. This site has been a great source of support, but honestly this issue of my boys being home if I were to work really seems to have become the focus. Please remember that the boys wouldn't be 'self educating" there is FLorida Virtual School that is completely free and online, and they have teachers who email and call the students, etc... It provides a complete education for 6th-12th grade here in Florida either as a district or homeschool student.

Anyhow, not sure who would qualify as a "professional," I mentioned we have no insurance, so that cuts out MHSW, MHFT, etc...I may speak to my pastor, but I really don't know who to talk to about this. Planning on going to a Nar Anon meeting tomorrow night, or Thursday, whatever works, and back to Al-Anon on Wednesday. My dad died when I was 10 and my mom is super co-dependent and I can't share any of this with her as she worries her self just about sick. When we separated before, we didn't even tell her until he was packed and out.

The agency I used to work for in social work is going to hire me to work 8 hours a week assisting in human resources, so that will add a little bit of income.

Still waiting on my "Co Dependent No More" book and workbook. I feel like I need to make a decision and the longer I wait the more likely it is that I will do what I usually do, which is to make no decision, but to stay in this because it is bearable for me.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Heya SA,

CoDependent No More was a life saver for me some years ago. I am kicking myself that I don't have my copy any more. Thrilled to hear that you have ordered it! It will be a lifesaver in helping you get your mind around all of this and how to work a plan. Looking forward to hearing your feedback once you start reading it.

You sound like me in that family isn't the answer and can/will cause more harm than good. Talking with a Pastor is a great idea. Not that they will be able to help, per se, but will likely, hopefully, know of local resources that can help you map this out. Talk to the folks in Nar/Al Anon as well. They will be more than willing to help you work through local resources as your disposal and putting together the full gameplan.

I know it may sound like I am harping about your kids, or that others are taking that focus, but the bottom line is that there are a LOT of variables here that you are going to have to consider as addiction is (unfortunately) life uprooting - it affects everything it touches. The point isn't about where/how you do item a, b, or c - but that you talk this through with someone trained to make sure that the things that are most important aren't overlooked as not in immediate critical need from a timing standpoint.