Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

New To This! Need Some Support, Read story and let me know what you think!

New To This! Need Some Support, Read story and let me know what you think!

Old 09-28-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

OptimisticLdy,

I too am new to this, but I think the others are right in saying you cannot be with an active addict. I tried it for awhile and it didn't work. My addict bf/exbf and I have been together for 4 years and have two children together. I have been dealing with his addiction for at least 2 of those years, being aware of it for the last 8 months. I tried being with him and supporting him through his recovery. All it got me was: him blaming me for all his problems (actually driving him to drugs!), heartache every time he used again. etc. I love this man with all my heart, but cannot take the hurt and heartache anymore. He is now moving in with another woman, and no longer cares about me or the kids. I would think about the fact the longer the relationship endures, the more pain and complications. My heart goes out to you. Like you I thought I was a strong independent woman, but being with a drug addict has shown me that I have some work to do on myself! And even though I am throwing in the towel on our relationship for now, I am forever hopeful that someday he may be able to be a part of our family again.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hopeful0323,

Just wanted to give you a hug, and say: he is a lucky man to have such a wonderful family; a wife and two beautiful kids. My son is an addict, but has no kids, and it is so hard for me to understand why anyone would not want to clean up there act for the kids that depend on them.

My thoughts are with you, and I sincerely hope the best for you and your kids