Methadone?

Old 05-10-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Methadone?

My loved one has been recenty prescripted by his doc methadone to replace his oxycontin medication. In a way I'm so happy he's done with the awful oxy, but m-done is also an opiate... is it like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire?

I know it's pretty much the only chance of keeping opiate addiction in control, especially for someone who has pain, as m-done also acts like a pain killier, but I don't know if there will be much change. Also, I have noticed he had some tolerance issues with m-done at the beggining of the medication... and yes, he used to abuse oxy at time too, so I'm scared.

And experience with m-done? Thanks for reading.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Methadone actually isn't an opiate, but a synthetic narcotic used to treat opiate addiction. It's actually just as addicting as Opiates, but given in a controlled and responsible way has actually helped many addicts break free from their addiction.

I don't know anything about the use of methadone for pain, although I know it is used. If your SO wants to break free of the Oxy, he can use the methadone as a step to do that. Unfortunately, methadone is often abused also. Although it blocks the effects of heroin, etc. It also intensify's the effects of other drugs such as benzos.

If given in the correct dosage, it doesn't make the addict 'high' but free from withdrawals and physical cravings for opiates. It doesn't do a thing for the mental cravings though, that can only come with hard work and commitment from the addict

It all comes down to how committed the addict is to getting clean and staying that way.

Welcome to SR, you will find much support here...God Bless
Old 05-10-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for answering *hugs*

Well honestly I'm unsure, but he sounded happy to be off oxy finally... but he has abused other drugs before and I really don't know what to expect. He also likes to get stoned often... (I wonder if it intensifies benzo effects, does it happen the same with weed..) I guess only time will tell if it was a good step for him to take or not. As far as I'm concerned, it was his doctor's decision, anyway. I avoid asking him things about his medication and all this, as it seems to annoy him a lot, even though he knows I won't cut his head off or go all weird, I've always tried to be supportive and understanding.. but I guess it's not a happy subject to talk about. =/

anyway, I just pray that it will actually help him...

And eheh I'm not exactly new here, just haven't been very active lately, I guess this drugs issue of him overwhelms me at times so I try not to think about it. Lately there haven't been any signs of him abusing anything so it has been all peaceful. That fuels my hope that m-done will prove to be helpful..
Old 05-10-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I will pray that it helps him too Not sure about the effects of methadone + weed, but I would think it doesn't intensify 'that' high. My son is on a methadone maintenance program and I know once he discovered that he could take benzo's along with the methadone he was off to the races with that, and sad to say, it was worse than when he was shooting heroin...a nightmare for sure. He's doing ok now, he has tapered from the methadone from like 185 mg down to 15 and seems intent on getting off altogether.

I know methadone isn't the ideal way to get off the opiates, but used correctly it sure beats the alternative as far as I'm concerned.

Huggs and good luck to you both!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your answers

@Hurtbad2505 - wow it kind of scares me, I remember he had some awful experiences mixing benzos with oxy, I hope he won't repeat it with M-done now..

and scaredsillie, he's very complicated... we can talk freely about anything on earth, he seems comfortable sharing the most personal things, but when it comes to drugs, if it's not him bringing it up first then he goes all awkward or pretends he didn't see the question, chanegs subject etc.. I think he talks to his doctor enough, and doesn't need a counselor. And he has friends who are also addicts, he talks to them, but I guess it's just the fact that I never touched drugs that makes him act so defensive even though I've done everything I could to have a natural attitude with all this. But honestly, all I want is him to get well, I wouldn't even care if he talks about it or not, as long as there is nothing to talk about, if you know what I mean.

Thanks all for support, I will try to see the bright part of it more than the bad part and I'll see what happens next.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

damned one,

i'm not an expert. i do know you can mix benzo's and the methadone and catch a good buzz. or a death knell. it's pretty serious mixing.

if he is committed to recovery, as the other poster stated, he'll do fine with a methadone fix. he can always decide to get off the m'done, but he'll have to taper off it.

some people stop drinking booze, but their loved ones can't really tell that they're any better off. it's all about attitude, and doing what they need to do to be clean and sober inside and out, not just putting the pills/bottle away.

it's kinda a waiting game at the moment.

i remember you from before. c'mon back any time.